• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
LOL. And they would also control conversation as they pass you around the room...."Roger Brett, switch 352.8 and contact Memphis (in next cluster of people), good day, sir"

That would kind of suck if you tried to talk to memphis "Memphis Center, Navy SA23"

Then he turns around and spits a "Navy SA23, Memphis Center, stand by..." and turns back around to keep bullshitting with his buddies.

How rude!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's one I've wondered about: since they don't belong to operational wings (CVWs, etc), what do the tailcodes on HSL and HC helos represent? Are they different for each squadron, or do they stand for some other entity (type wing or whatever)?

And do they actually mean anything? i.e., first letter of CVW tailcodes represent LANT (A) or PAC (N). Or is it completely random?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Here's one I've wondered about: since they don't belong to operational wings (CVWs, etc), what do the tailcodes on HSL and HC helos represent? Are they different for each squadron, or do they stand for some other entity (type wing or whatever)?

And do they actually mean anything? i.e., first letter of CVW tailcodes represent LANT (A) or PAC (N). Or is it completely random?

I can't speak for HC, but on the HSL side, yes, they have some sort of order. West Sieeede has Tx codes and East coast has Hx (I think). It's possible to have the same side number in the same wing as a result, but I've only seen that happen on the West Coast since they run w/ 2 digits. Everyone on the east coast goes down the line w/ 3 digits (400, 500, 600).

I've never really paid attention to east coast codes, but there was some sort of order w/ the West side guys. For example, HSL-37, which is the oldest squadron left has TH while HSL-40 (a relatively new squadron) has (or had) TS, so you can see that they're not 3 letters apart and the older one got the letter much earlier than the later one.

Clear as mud?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Tailcodes have an order...east coast squadrons will start with the letter A-M and the next letter will be whatever. West coast is N-Z.

HSC-28...BR

HSC-26...HW

HSC-22...AM

HSC-21...(west coast) VR

There is a rumor that the codes are the initials of the originals skipper's wife, but that is only true at HSC-22 because it fit.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Heh...I'd heard the "plankowner skipper's wife's initials" thing before. It'd be great if it were true.

So there's a scheme, but it's not comprehensive. I guess at some point some dude on a type wing staff will try to reorganize and standardize all the tail codes to get a fitrep bullet.

Semi-related, how is the two-helo-squadrons-per-CAG thing coming along? Is it having any kind of impact on the helo world yet?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Heh...I'd heard the "plankowner skipper's wife's initials" thing before. It'd be great if it were true.

So there's a scheme, but it's not comprehensive. I guess at some point some dude on a type wing staff will try to reorganize and standardize all the tail codes to get a fitrep bullet.

Semi-related, how is the two-helo-squadrons-per-CAG thing coming along? Is it having any kind of impact on the helo world yet?

Yeah, that will be interesting to see. I start work-ups this winter with an HSM squadron in the airwing, so we'll see how it goes (different or transparent).

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, that will be interesting to see. I start work-ups this winter with an HSM squadron in the airwing, so we'll see how it goes (different or transparent).

Brett

It's my understanding that the HSM squadrons, while part of HSMWING, have their own airwing codes since they're attached to the airwing. For example, -71 has NG instead of a Tx code, as well as having the "standard" 6xx side number.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think that's a repost, but cool to see. Obviously, shooting live missiles at drones in an extremely rare occurrance - not your typical training hop.

Brett

Coota0

None
Stupid Question: As I understand it the CAG (at least at one time) was checked out on all the Air Wing's aircraft; did the CAG get checked out on the rotary wing aircraft too?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Stupid Question: As I understand it the CAG (at least at one time) was checked out on all the Air Wing's aircraft; did the CAG get checked out on the rotary wing aircraft too?

I thought you could only have two current NATOPS quals at any given time?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Yes.

I thought you could only have two current NATOPS quals at any given time?

Not sure if you got that from a previous thread/post, but I'm pretty sure we debunked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.