• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Do they still fly the contract H-3s there for the launch and recoveries?

What was the name of the bar there?

(1984 was my last det there, so it's been awhile.)

They fly the S-61, which I think is the civilian equivilent to the H-3. Did they fly no shit H-3's back then?

As for the bars, there's Thousand Fathoms Club (TFC), the Beach Bar, and the bar in the Q, although I never can remember it's name.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Do they still fly the contract H-3s there for the launch and recoveries?

What was the name of the bar there?

(1984 was my last det there, so it's been awhile.)

There is a bar near the rooms is called the TOTO (Tongue of the Ocean) in reference to the deep channel that runs next to Andros Island.
The "hall" where you can get beer, play bingo and have karaoke is the TFC (Thousand Fathoms Club)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
There is a bar near the rooms is called the TOTO (Tongue of the Ocean) in reference to the deep channel that runs next to Andros Island.
The "hall" where you can get beer, play bingo and have karaoke is the TFC (Thousand Fathoms Club)

Yup, that's it, the TOTO has been closed the past year or so, it was open this most recent trip at the first of November. I never went in there.

The TFC was a good time, darts and pool, but I spent most of my time out at the Beach Bar, right on the water, horseshoes and all the Goombay a guy could drink!

jmcquate

Contributor
Waiting for a flight out of DCA to Logan Monday morning and there were two MV-22s flying up and down the Potomac. Anyone know what was going on?

Flying Toaster

None
Sorry if this has already been asked, but hopefully stupid questions encompass already asked questions.

Are there any unofficial (or official) records of consecutive arrested landings without a bolter?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is this, the NFL?

Anyway, it'd be a meaningless stat. You can bolter because of a hook skip as easily as being high all the way.

Flying Toaster

None
What is this, the NFL?

Anyway, it'd be a meaningless stat. You can bolter because of a hook skip as easily as being high all the way.

Funny you should mention that. I thought of it while listening to them go on endlessly about Brady's consecutive completions without a pick. Definitely a stat that involves some serious luck as well.

In terms of just really general guesstimates what are we talking? I really have no idea. Does it depend on the plane (C2/E2, vs F/A-18's)? On a decent day, are we talking 1/2, 4/5, 9/10, 19/20? What does that drop to at night with crappy conditions and a pitching deck?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Funny you should mention that. I thought of it while listening to them go on endlessly about Brady's consecutive completions without a pick. Definitely a stat that involves some serious luck as well.

In terms of just really general guesstimates what are we talking? I really have no idea. Does it depend on the plane (C2/E2, vs F/A-18's)? On a decent day, are we talking 1/2, 4/5, 9/10, 19/20? What does that drop to at night with crappy conditions and a pitching deck?

I blow the ball off the top of the lens every other pass or so. Win?

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Legit hookskips count as touch and go's for the GPA, assuming your pass wasn't garbage to begin with and caused it yourself. You won't know it since all you hear is "BOLTER BOLTER BOLTER" to make you go into panic mode and give the power the business. Hookskips happen because the hook isn't held down all the way due to a leaky dashpot or just a higher then normal rate of descent at impact or just shit happens. Since I haven't flown the hummer yet I've heard you need to keep the nose from hitting the deck to help out the hook from raising but I think that's just an Hawkeye/COD -ism but at least in the Goshawk, you were going to a nose high attitude instantly anyway so it's a moot point.

As far as number's go, I have no idea nor do I know if real stats are kept, it's rare but it does happen. I know I didn't get any, nor did anyone else in my boat, but I've heard a few guys saying they had one.

Coota0

None
Question for the Harrier folks; what is the SOP when taking off or landing at a conventional airfield? Do you takeoff/land conventionally or still do the STOL?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The short takeoff is used the vast majority of the time. Vertical landings are only for home field or ships. Conventional landings are only done for emergencies and practice.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The short takeoff is used the vast majority of the time. Vertical landings are only for home field or ships. Conventional landings are only done for emergencies and practice.

I'm not following. Would you land conventional or vertical to someplace other than home field?