• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

GreenLantern330

Thanks for the quick response. That brings up another question, if you get assigned to an aircraft that doesn't operate on an aircraft carrier, will you ever have to serve on one then as like an LSO or some other duty?

jmcquate

Contributor
With the exception of trainers, what other aircraft does the Navy fly other than what's listed on their site (F/A-18E/F, F/A-18C, E-2C, EA-18G, SH-60R, CH-60, C-2A)? For example, I know about P-3s, but that's about it.

Simple Web Search:

Fixed Wing

Rotary Wing:

• MH-53E Sea Dragon - anti-mine warfare, shipboard delivery, and assault support
  • SH-60 Seahawk - medium lift, utility, assault helicopter, special operations support, anti-submarine warfare, command and control, Search and Rescue (both combat and overwater), and naval gunfire support
  • UH-1 Iroquois - station search and rescue
Via Wikipedia

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Sure, it's possible. For example, I know a helo guy who was a shooter. Not that common for a helo guy, but possible.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Sure, it's possible. For example, I know a helo guy who was a shooter. Not that common for a helo guy, but possible.

Very common for P-3 guys on disassociateds though. On one of the T-45 CQ CAI tests, there's a question about how you'll recognize the cat officer when taxiing on deck - one of the choices is "By all the P-3 patches on his jacket."

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Very common for P-3 guys on disassociateds though. On one of the T-45 CQ CAI tests, there's a question about how you'll recognize the cat officer when taxiing on deck - one of the choices is "By all the P-3 patches on his jacket."

Priceless!

This does beg the question, however, if you choose that answer, are you marked correct?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

CQ CAI's now? Ha that would have been nice. As soon as I taxiied out of the LA after my first trap I had no idea what was going on....

GreenLantern330

One more question then to clarify my last question. I guess what I was trying to ask was if you get assigned to an aircraft that doesn't operate on an aircraft carrier, will you ever be deployed on one or any other type of ship? Example: Let's say you fly P-3s, does that mean you'll never step foot on an aircraft carrier or other ship?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
One more question then to clarify my last question. I guess what I was trying to ask was if you get assigned to an aircraft that doesn't operate on an aircraft carrier, will you ever be deployed on one or any other type of ship? Example: Let's say you fly P-3s, does that mean you'll never step foot on an aircraft carrier or other ship?

Did you read the posts above? You could, but not as an LSO

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None

To expand on previous answers to your question: Lots of P-3 bubbas do what's called a "disassociated" tour on carriers, and sometimes on other ships, and also on staffs that embark. The disassociated tour is your second sea tour, and in years past (can't speak for the current situation) was almost a must-have to be competitive in the P-3 community beyond O-4. Typical disassociated tours on a carrier for a P-3 type are shooter, Ops Admin. and Asst. Navigator. But never LSO.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
VP DivOs

Typical disassociated tours on a carrier for a P-3 type are shooter, Ops Admin. and Asst. Navigator. But never LSO.

On my first ShipsCo tour in USS MIDWAY, we also had VP types in various DivO (O-3/4) billets in Ops, Weps and Air Depts. In pre C-2 days when each CV had it's own C-1A COD, several P-3 Pilots Carqaled (often for the first time) in the C-1A, then joined the "COD Squad". They later became designated CTCP (Carrier Transport Plane Commander), required to carry passengers.
BzB

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
CQ CAI's now? Ha that would have been nice. As soon as I taxiied out of the LA after my first trap I had no idea what was going on....

Regardless of how many CAI's you've done, I don't think anybody has any idea what's going on after their first trap. We qual'd on the Nimitz, which hadn't done an undergrad CQ in a long time so a lot of the deck crew had probably never worked with T-45's before...they must have thought we were completely retarded.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Regardless of how many CAI's you've done, I don't think anybody has any idea what's going on after their first trap. We qual'd on the Nimitz, which hadn't done an undergrad CQ in a long time so a lot of the deck crew had probably never worked with T-45's before...they must have thought we were completely retarded.

Everyone is at that stage. :p

Top_Gun_1_0_1

Who is the pilot in control on a shuttle mission?, the commander or the pilot on the right?
and the people who fly the shuttle are either Navy/ AF pilot, do they make big $$$$$$ besides their miltary pay???