• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Neither. For the harrier, the slower the landing the better. A vertical landing can cause serious damage to an ordinary runway, and to the aircraft. A conventional landing can have the plane touching down as fast as 180 kts and even with nozzle braking it can take a lot of runway. The typical landing at an unfamiliar field would be a fixed nozzle slow landing, or a rolling vertical landing touching down at roughly 60-100 kts.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I already have my private certificate. Can I file and fly instruments on the civilian side with my NATOPS instrument qual? If not, can I get instrument airplane added to my FAA ratings via equivalency test before wings?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I already have my private certificate. Can I file and fly instruments on the civilian side with my NATOPS instrument qual?

No.

If not, can I get instrument airplane added to my FAA ratings via equivalency test before wings?

No. I actually tried this a few weeks ago. The Commercial and Instrument are a package deal according to the FSDO and Oklahoma City. You have to wait until wings.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
No.

No. I actually tried this a few weeks ago. The Commercial and Instrument are a package deal according to the FSDO and Oklahoma City. You have to wait until wings.

Wut he sed.

But also, you can use your upchit as a 3rd class medical. AND, you can use military Instrument checks as IPCs for the same category civilian certificate.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Who wants to file IFR anyway? The biggest joy of flight comes from flying in class G airspace :) 1 mile, clear of clouds below 1200' AGL.

It's arguable. It's nice to sightsee and turn at will, but it's also nice to be able to rely on instilled procedures, and not have to think "as much". IFR = pilot proof. As long as your pre-flight planning was good and you did all your thinking on the ground (ie: your shit is in one sock), it's pretty much ATC saying "Fly here, do this" and you just drooling on yourself going "DUURRRR ROGER!" No worrying about busting airspace or anything. Just do what the voice tells you.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
It's arguable. It's nice to sightsee and turn at will, but it's also nice to be able to rely on instilled procedures, and not have to think "as much". IFR = pilot proof. As long as your pre-flight planning was good and you did all your thinking on the ground (ie: your shit is in one sock), it's pretty much ATC saying "Fly here, do this" and you just drooling on yourself going "DUURRRR ROGER!" No worrying about busting airspace or anything. Just do what the voice tells you.

I know what you mean. I was just playing around. I have to agree with you about flying IFR. It is nice to be able to put your course in, and flip on the flight director and autopilot and fly 'hands off.' At the same time, the most fun I've ever had was flying a super cub at an average of 1000AGL on a cross country. Old school, stick and rudder, few instruments, flying at its purest. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I know what you mean. I was just playing around. I have to agree with you about flying IFR. It is nice to be able to put your course in, and flip on the flight director and autopilot and fly 'hands off.' At the same time, the most fun I've ever had was flying a super cub at an average of 1000AGL on a cross country. Old school, stick and rudder, few instruments, flying at its purest. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

I guess that depends if you're one of the "The journey is more important than the goal folks"...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Not with an engine it isn't! Nothing like flying a sailplane whether it's ridge, thermal or wave soaring. Plus a ccx in a sailplane is an actual accomplishment.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Not with an engine it isn't! Nothing like flying a sailplane whether it's ridge, thermal or wave soaring. Plus a ccx in a sailplane is an actual accomplishment.

My school offers a course in gliders. . .I never really had the money to throw down for it. I have to say though, I still say that low, slow, and in a cub is the best way to enjoy a relaxing flight :)

GreenLantern330

With the exception of trainers, what other aircraft does the Navy fly other than what's listed on their site (F/A-18E/F, F/A-18C, E-2C, EA-18G, SH-60R, CH-60, C-2A)? For example, I know about P-3s, but that's about it.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
60S/B/H/F, E-6, C-9, C-12, C-40/C-130(reserves), F-16/F-5(adversary), and a whole lot more at places like TPS and Fallon.