• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Status of OC in a ROTC unit/OCS for NROTC Units??

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
I understand that as an Ensign I will know very little. I'll show up to API knowing very little about aeronautics, I'll show up to primary knowing very little about tactical flying, and I'll show up to a squadron knowing very little in the grand scheme of how shit works. (Maybe this post will highlight my vast amount of lack of knowledge)

But, at least with NROTC, I'll know how to act like a Naval Officer should. Eventually (hopefully) I'll learn how to fly, and I'm pretty sure everyone understands that I won't know how to do that on day 1. But, they should expect that I show up willing to lead, willing to learn, and willing to perform, something I think NROTC does an outstanding job of preparing Ensigns to do.

I wish everyone had this mindset. You will make a great officer.

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
Reservations? Sir, don't make me dig up your interview sheet and post the glowing comments about me. ;)

You know those aren't worth the paper they are written on.. Ha ha. Sorry man I had to say it. It is amazing some of the things that get put on those interview sheets.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Your original post was based on the following premise:
According to CNSTCINST 1533.2, OC's are supposed to be leaders in the NROTC units. This is just not happening.
You've replied to a number of the posts in this thread, but not mine. Where in CNSTCINST 1533.2 is that requirement stated?
I was bored, and doubted that there is any such requirement, so I searched a PDF version of the instruction with no luck...

If you have any questions hit me up, I have read every part pertaining to OC's.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I wish everyone had this mindset. You will make a great officer.

:D Funny shit. Be careful, might end up with some e-spooge on the chin. So define great officer. From the post above, it seems it would be defined you are great if you understand you don't know shit. Looks to me like most of you mids and OC's would definitely make great officers if thats the case. Well wait, only those who recognize they don't shit will make great officers so I stand corrected. What if you think you know shit but really don't. That's what I'm seeing here no doubt. So we've got one great officer so far....any other takers??

seabeescw

Man I wish I could walk around all day telling people that they don't know shit...I guess that would make a powerful guy or a great leader or something
Where in CNSTCINST 1533.2 is that requirement stated?
I was bored, and doubted that there is any such requirement, so I searched a PDF version of the instruction with no luck...
Dude I think he's talking about the OPNAVINST 1420 where OC's are stronly recommended to hold leadership positions in the ROTC unit. I don't think it's required though just recommended, for good reason IMO

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Man I wish I could walk around all day telling people that they don't know shit...I guess that would make a powerful guy or a great leader or something

One day when you actually know shit, you might just be that guy. As it is.....:sleep_125

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
From the post above, it seems it would be defined you are great if you understand you don't know shit.

Bunk, that's not necessarily what I was trying to convey. I was actually trying to say:

Actally, the way it works is: by the time you leave ROTC, you'll have gotten really good at being a midshipman. After commissioning is where you start learning how to be a Naval Officer. Scratch that, after you report to your fleet squadron is when you really start learning how to be a Naval Officer.

Thanks to Scoob for saying in three lines what I couldn't do in half a page.

I wanted to express that I'm aware that there's a lot of NROTC kool-aid to be quaffed out there, and that a lot of people don't realize that until they get to the fleet. I'm on AW trying to pick up a thing or two from those who have "been there, done that", while there are others who are losing sleep over whether or not they'll get that drill team ribbon. Sometimes NROTC and the Navy are not the same, which is why the role of the OC is important.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor

Dude I think he's talking about the OPNAVINST 1420 where OC's are stronly recommended to hold leadership positions in the ROTC unit. I don't think it's required though just recommended, for good reason IMO

Each individual NROTC unit has an instruction that can be curtailed/lengthened any way the Professor of Naval Science sees fit. So pointing out instructions from the 1420 and from a specific unit don't really mesh well. I think the 1420 is more of a guide prior to NROTC, and ceases once an OC becomes part of the unit. At the unit everyones obligations/responsibilities etc. are at the discretion of the PNS.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Nothing wrong with the discussion, comparing positives/negatives between the officer training pipelines. Even the differences between OC's and mids. Where it goes astray is when folks start claiming OCS stress equals better prepared for stress in the fleet, etc. Some folks handle stress better than others, regardless of background. Leadership isn't defined by ones officer training either, at least in my 15 years active duty experience.

USN99

USN99
None
Say it ain't so

Actally, the way it works is: by the time you leave ROTC, you'll have gotten really good at being a midshipman. After commissioning is where you start learning how to be a Naval Officer. Scratch that, after you report to your fleet squadron is when you really start learning how to be a Naval Officer.

As I look back across my Naval career, and as an NROTC grad, I really wish it were not the case as portrayed by Scoob. I would have preferred to assert that I started learning about how to be a Naval Officer before I graduated. But that assertion probably is only valid if the quality of the individual NROTC staff is high. If the staff is talented, maintains high standards, and sets a solid example, one would think that the Mids would pick it up.

I am friends with a Mid at the Boat School. This Mid is learning plenty of examples of bad leadership: like not maintaining high standards in order to give the "special people" a pass; or a plethora of Chicken S--- rules that have absolutely no purpose and have not been replicated in the Fleet since the days of sail (you know the days of iron men, wooden ships, and paper airplanes; when men were men and the sheep were afraid). :confused: And 2/C Mids are not leaders. They are just experimenting on the Plebes. What a cluster, a bunch of non-Fleet experienced college pukes pretending to act like leaders. I suggest that the real leaders to learn from are the junior officers and CPOs who have served in the Fleet. (Maybe not the shoes.)

But I will agree that NROTC is not the Air Training Command and the Air Training Command is not the Fleet. And the learning rate accelerates remarkably after you arrive in your first squadron. While in command, I never paid any attention to commissioning source. This was aided and abetted largely by the fact that after a very few months aboard, one could not discern the difference. You were either good or, perhaps, dead. Flying can be unforgiving. :D