• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Status of OC in a ROTC unit/OCS for NROTC Units??

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
This is mostly for the OC's going to an NROTC unit.

OC's across the country are in programs that treat them as nothing more than midshipmen. Nothing against a mid, but we are not mids. According to CNSTCINST 1533.2, OC's are supposed to be leaders in the NROTC units. This is just not happening. It is up to you to ensure that everything is going as it is supposed to be. Don't rely on someone else to do it for you. If you have any questions hit me up, I have read every part pertaining to OC's.

V/R

OC Herndon

gotta_fly

pilot
What are you basing this on? OCs in my unit act as leaders and provide the same type of guidance and example to younger students as the MECEPs.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
In my unit... the OC's were always pulling horse-trades to get out of leadership billets...

I didnt blame them, ROTC units have a bunch of BS bureaucratic red-tape type jobs of leadership... and paperwork, and just crap.

Of course, when they were in a leadersip position, they always did a fantastic job... and all us mids did look up to them, because they'd "been there"

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
Nrotc Mids Dont Go Through Ocs?

I found out recently that NROTC midshipmen do not go through Navy OCS. I don't understand the reason for this. If anyone has any amplifying reason why they shouldn't go, I would like to hear it.

I am a prior enlisted sailor and went to boot camp. It prepared me for the challenges that I found once reporting to a ship, but NROTC mids do not have this training period to learn how to lead. If anyone believes honestly that while attending a college that anyone can fully understand what it means to be put in a pressure situation, they are sadly mistaken.

I would like to hear some input on this situation and possible fixes for it. I posted it here because all of you have done OCS.

V/R

OC Herndon

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
What are you basing this on? OCs in my unit act as leaders and provide the same type of guidance and example to younger students as the MECEPs.

I am basing this on the misconception that OC's are just midshipmen. I was told that by a marine Capt when I first reported, which infuriated me. I have been calling other OC's around the country and they are receiving much of the same gouge from thier unit. If yours is not like this then good on you, but I am finding that many of them are.

Thanks,

V/R
OC Herndon

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Not everyone here has gone through OCS..in fact it has always been like that. The three pipelines for most commissioned officers has and always has been 1) USNA 2) NROTC's or 3) OCS ...the OCS supplements the need for Officers that the Academy and ROTC's do not fill. Basically its a 12 week crash course for civilians off the street to get basic leadership training where in "theory" you were getting it at USNA and ROTC all 4 years of college.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
After 4 years of ROT-C, 3 summer cruises (almost the entire summer in each case), and 4 spring breaks ... I knew and had seen @ 10,000 times as much as your garden variety OCS product.

Believe it.

whalepelt

After 4 years of ROT-C, 3 summer cruises (almost the entire summer in each case), and 4 spring breaks ... I knew and had seen @ 10,000 times as much as your garden variety OCS product.

Believe it.

True or not, I've always been of the opinion there there needs to be something equivalent to OCS or plebe summer to filter out the unmotivated bums and general non-hackers. I don't think most ROTC units do a good job of booting people who don't belong. I know I've seen people commission who I wouldn't care to serve under.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I found out recently that NROTC midshipmen do not go through Navy OCS. I don't understand the reason for this. If anyone has any amplifying reason why they shouldn't go, I would like to hear it.

I am a prior enlisted sailor and went to boot camp. It prepared me for the challenges that I found once reporting to a ship, but NROTC mids do not have this training period to learn how to lead. If anyone believes honestly that while attending a college that anyone can fully understand what it means to be put in a pressure situation, they are sadly mistaken.

I would like to hear some input on this situation and possible fixes for it. I posted it here because all of you have done OCS.

V/R

OC Herndon

By that logic, YOU should have to go to OCS too...

FYI: OCS =/= Bootcamp.