• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stats For Ocs Class 189!!!!! Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen

Oh before? It was about the same as 188. The selection rate for ECP though was alittle higher with 188, because as you can see , 26 Marines got selected out of 30.

caeli

I'm a little confused. You guys are talking about getting extensions 'til feb 16th or 18th. Is that because you guys are applying as enlisted, or is that true for everyone? After talking to my OSO I got the impression that I could turn in my app later than that (but I'm not prior-enlisted).

Glen

Yah, you guys are a little different from us. Your OSO is right, you can turn yours in later than that.

pwdbyhrses

Guess this Intro can go here too...

(Disclaimer: Long post, make sure you have a few mins.)

Little late on this but I'm new here (well, been reading posts and such but just registered). I'll list my stats and include my bio in there with them.

Background info: 20 y/o hispanic female born in Long Beach, CA, moved around a lot but now call Chesapeake, VA home. I've wanted to fly since I was four and Dad took me to see my first air show (I'm a Daddy's girl :) ) Dad was a career marine who enlisted, went back to college and OCC and worked his way up to an 05 before retiring in 1995 when he didn't make 06. I want to fly F/A-18's or JSF's (according to my OSO, they will be training my flight classes and those ahead of me to begin flying these in 08...any thoughts/facts on this? I keep hearing a myriad of different things...) but my first choice was Harriers. However, out of respect for my mother's wishes, I've decided not to pursue flying that particular aircraft.

I'm appying for OCS 189 and my OSO is awesome and really helping me out on my app. as far as being on time with paperwork and making sure I'm aware of everything that's going on. I didn't have very good experiences with any of the other branches (Yes, I did check them out just to see other options though Dad was NOT supportive of this) and the AF recruiter here can blow me.

PFT- Not sure...ran track for Texas A&M until last Sept. and now work out on my own so I'm in pretty decent shape...yet I HATE running so run time is prob. in the range of 8 min miles..heh.. I pole vaulted and we don't run long distances...we just ran a lot of short stuff and lifted a ton of weights. SO, waiting to take that sometime soon.

School- Texas A&M - College Station (worst effing town in Texas...esp. if you don't drink). I came for track and got stuck because my major is kinda specific to a few schools that specialize in Agriculture. Shoulda gone to Tennessee GO VOLS! But I guess being an Aggie isn't so bad ;) GIG 'EM!

Major- was pre-med/Animal Science but switched to the easier option within my major to get the heck out without taking anymore Biology crap and having to graduate in Dec. Now I'm August 06. I hate Biology and will take Chem anyday of the week, and now all those Chem and Bio credits I have aren't worth crap but electives (and some have been creatively put in place of some other classes that I would have had to take)

GPA- 2.5...yeah it sucks but I got extremly sick last Sept, missed 2 weeks of O-Chem and some 300 & 400 level classes and got raped on finals. Oh well barely made it out of that one with a 2.0 and now I'm trying to dig myself outta this giant hole that goes to China.

ASVAB-didn't need to take

SAT- 1130 and decided that was good enough for me. Made 1080's first two times. Third try's the charm.

LOR- two 06's (Army Col. and Navy Capt.), 4 05's (one from my dad as an "other"), a Civilian working for Joint Forces Intel. Command in Norfolk (Mom, also an "other"), and I was lucky enough to work for NASA-Langley for a stint so my two bosses there, one Dean and one Associate Dean at TAMU, who also happened to be my prof. for a 100-level intro to something about Agriculture course at 8AM on Tuesday mornings that everyone slept though. Attendance was your one and only final grade which made things easy.

ASTB: we shall see as of this Friday. If I don't pass it on the first go round (God forbid) I'll contract Ground to go to 189 combined this summer then try to pass again and switch to Air. Even if I don't get Air (Although I'm determined as heck to) I would contract ground and go Intel (hopefully) as the Marines is something I've wanted for a long long time.

Hobbies: I have a motorcycle that I wrecked (slid off a curve on some gravel) and though it looks like crap, it still runs and gets me around to and from classes. Mom and Dad still think it's my friend Jim's old bike...and technically it is since he bought a new one; they just don't know that I bought it off of him. When the weather is nice here (like 75 in Feb.) I take it for rides in between studying, caring for the menagerie and classes.

I also have horses down here (used to ride and show Arabians and 1/2 Arabians) as well but am liquidating and sending the three life-time members of the family to a trusted friend in Houston where they'll probably live out the rest of their lives. Have two pups that are both rescues (see where the animal science part is coming in?) One is a pit bull I found when she was 4 weeks old (now just turned ~2 years and is the best dog ever) and the other is an ex-research lab/hound mix I adopted @ 4 months old (she will be three the day PLC combined starts in June) from the TAMU research division (which is probably the cause of her selective hearing problem). Both are avid swimmers, one is a chicken killer (the pitty... I love her because I can't stand chickens) and both are furniture comfort level testers. They also love to go for long walks and chew up expensive dog toys, underwear and anything that comes within a foot of their crate while they are occupying it.

I also started to fly back in HS, but ran out of money and it was either the flying lessons or the horse and school sports and I chose the latter. Pole vaulting for TAMU used to be my thing until I realized that it was either that or my grades and flying career (after I got sick) and quit last Oct. Now I go back home on vacation and vault occasionally with my old high school coach. Never really did anything in college track...ripped pretty much all the ligaments in my R-ankle twice after my freshman indoor season, and the second round required surgery to scrape them down since there was a massive amt. of scar tissue buildup and I was having problems running w/o pain. Once they got in there, they found a large bone spur that didn't show up on MRI's and now I'm pain free. So I never really did anything as far as competition goes, though I did compete and in the end after what I went through for them, the coaches screwed me over anyhow. Got my waiver from MEPS for the surgery, so I'm good to go there.

Dad also bought me a pistol (Springfield XD .40 ) which I enjoy shooting at the range when I go home, as he won't let me bring it back to TX until I'm 21 (Nov.). If anyone is looking into buying a handgun, these are some of the nicest that I've shot that are really pretty affordable.

Anyhow, sorry for the long post, I like reading about other people's backgrounds so I included mine in here. It's also about 130AM and I'm taking a break from my bi/tr-weekly all-day/nighters that accompany my school schedule and attempting to stay away from it as long as possible.

Midshipmanjosh

Just got the word. I am in for 189 on a pilot slot. Stats are listed below. Man i feel good now. :D

PFT -- around 275 (20 pullups, 100 crunches, and 22-23) min. run. My last recorded pft was 263 but all of my individual events have come up.

ASTB -- 5-6-6

SAT -- 1200

Major/GPA -- Electrical Engineering, 3.0

University of Florida

MOS -- Pilot

LOR's -- bosses, profs, and doctors

Best of luck to everyone.

Midshipmanjosh

olympianchc said:
josh are you a PLC guy? because they have not chosen OCS guys yet

Yeah man, im PLC. Sorry forgot to say that. I got accepted on the Feb board. I heard that there is another one meeting at or around the 29'th of march.

T-man

Putting the final touches on my application for 189. Hoping I can get it done in time. If not, I'll be applying for 190 in the fall. Anywho, here are my stats:

height: 6'
weight: currently 210 and dropping. Down from 250+ at the first of the year.
ASTB: 6/7/7
ASVAB: 98
GPA: 3.0 (2 B.S. degrees in Computer Science and Mathematics)
college: Whitworth (Spokane), class of 2001
PFT: TBD - if I don't make it, this will be why. Still need to take it, and I may not get a high enough score when I do.
contract: going for air (either NA or NFO).
LORs: Fire Chief, former enlisted Marine (coworker), bosses, professors, coworkers

A little background about myself. I've lived in the Seattle area since graduating college, and have tried unsuccessfully to find a job in the computer industry. I recently came off of 3 months of unemployment. During that unemployment is when I decided to apply for OCS. That decision was made in Jan 05. Since then I've been working my a$$ off to get my application completed in time for 189 as I am on the virge of the age limit for air contracts. At the first of the year I was 250lbs, I'm now down to 210 and continuing to drop. Due to my weight, I've been unable to train very hard on pullups, due to my sheer weight I've been unable to do very many. That has changed now in the past week or so, but I'm afraid it's a little late to be able to pull out 20 when I take my PFT.

I'm scheduled for a flight physical on the 24th, and following that will take the PFT. I'd rather go pilot, but my eyesight is too poor. If I don't make the 189 application deadline, I am seriously considering PRK for a pilot slot this fall.

olympianchc

Fox Co....TBS
I was recently notified by my OSO that the june 5th board will be meeting the firts week of april, instead of may. I know the aviation slots are very limited for 189, but im keeping my fingers crossed that I get selected.

20:100:20.49.....283 pft.
3.2 gpa from penn state science/medical B.S.

Midshipmanjosh

superphipps said:
I don't believe it did, my package was approved and I found out March 9.

Superphipps,

Your package probablly went before the board that met in mid Feb. I found out on the tenth that i was approved and i know for a fact that my package was approved by the feb board.

Glen

Well, my package didn't make it for the 189 class board. For those enlisted guys and girls out there, good luck on the board.

T-man

My package isn't going to make it either. I had my flight physical last week and they didn't find anything wrong. Last thing I need is a PFT score. I took my first PFT yesterday but wasn't good enough for the app and not enough time left before the deadline to improve it.

PFT: 13/67/23:48

OCS 190 here I come!

Status
Not open for further replies.