• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Standby for more trouble with the airlines?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've never seen them in action during an emergency, so maybe someday I'll change my mind.
It really irks me to have to use the French as an example but.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/plane_fire/

"This time it was different. As fire ate its way through Air France Flight 358, flight attendants did exactly as they were trained to do – they got passengers quickly and safely out of a dangerous situation.

They had precious few minutes to move 297 passengers out through the emergency exits before they might be overcome by toxic fumes."

snake020

Contributor
And let's not forget - the flight deck door is locked. What happens/who ensures the safety of the passengers when idiots/mentally challenged try to do something? I don't think the traveling public is ready for it to be their responsibility...

Well of course the air marshals that are manned on 100% of all domestic flights :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SWA has been plagued by safety questions in recent times ... all a by-product of a 'low-cost at any cost' mentality. In some cases the planes were allowed to fly for up to 30 months after the inspection deadlines had passed, rendering them unfit to fly. Records indicate that thousands of passengers were flown on aircraft deemed unsafe by federal standards. Southwest declined comment at the time .... there were rumors that the FAA knew about Southwest Airlines violations but decided not to fine the airline because it would disrupt the service of Southwest.

I guess 'low-cost' airlines are not the only ones skimping on safety and inspections, seems legacy ones are as well:

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=116&sid=1459993

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7562165.stm

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess 'low-cost' airlines are not the only ones skimping on safety and inspections, seems legacy ones are as well:
Not entirely accurate. Apparently the work was deferred under provisions of the Minimum Equipment List that the airline and the FAA disagree on. It isn't like the airline purposely or negligently ignored required maintenance. They thought they were in compliance. Since this is essentially how AA got in trouble a few months ago when the entire MD80 fleet was grounded it seems as though they might have been more careful about keeping the FAA happy over even the smallest dispute. It isn't endemic however. These problems occurred on only two planes. Part of the reason for the high fine is because just these two planes were operated several times. Not because it is system wide.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Paying you to rip the handles off bags, or punch tickets is not exactly a cost burden to the airline. Hence why pilots are the first ones to be cut, along with mechanics.
That has not been my experience in over 30 years of flying the line.

By "cut", do you mean "pay cuts" or "furloughs"?? In either case, pilots and mechs are the only ones who can ground an airline OR keep it flyin'. The other employee groups generally constitute "excess baggage" at some point in the airlines bottom line.

Maybe I'm missing the thrust of your comment ... ??? :)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
That has not been my experience in over 30 years of flying the line.

By "cut", do you mean "pay cuts" or "furloughs"?? In either case, pilots and mechs are the only ones who can ground an airline OR keep it flyin'. The other employee groups generally constitute "excess baggage" at some point in the airlines bottom line.

Maybe I'm missing the thrust of your comment ... ??? :)

No my point was that just because he got hired to break luggage, doesn't mean AA is prospering, like he alluded too.

If you believe the media, pilot salaries are all $250,000/year, and thus the biggest expense to an airline. Funny, all the guys I know at NWA are making 40% of what they were 5 years ago... so if they're still making $250K, they were doing fanFUCKINGtastic 5 years ago!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
No my point was that just because he got hired to break luggage, doesn't mean AA is prospering, like he alluded too.

If you believe the media, pilot salaries are all $250,000/year, and thus the biggest expense to an airline. Funny, all the guys I know at NWA are making 40% of what they were 5 years ago... so if they're still making $250K, they were doing fanFUCKINGtastic 5 years ago!

Roger that: and one other thing I've noticed over the years -- guys tend to "exaggerate" their FAE's as they want everyone to think of them as being 'successful' -- even when their pay scales are public and printed for all to see and everyone know what everyone else is making ... :)

One thing I CAN say w/ a straight face is that I only make 60% of what I used to in the "glory days".

Oh, wait .... a small detail: I don't have to go to work anymore to get it ... :D

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor

I didn't get hired to break luggage or rip handles off the luggage. That's a pretty shitty blow right there for someone who doesn't do my job.

I'd say AA was doing pretty well since it is the ONLY legacy airline to have not filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. While we aren't doing great, we're doing well enough to bring in new hires. Also AA is not just AA. AMR Corp which is AA, AE, and Executive Airlines. I fall under AE which ain't doing so bad.

Fuel is causing all airlines to take some hits as of late.

As for other greyhound airlines such as Southwest, Jetblue, and Airtran. Well the only one that's doing better than the legacy airlines is Southwest.

Cheapfares doesn't mean making money.

On a sidenote if you want to know why baggage gets mishandled or breaks etc....you could blame it on some airlines contracting their ramp work out to companies. Those people could give two shits less. They're generally unionized and don't care etc etc. But saying I got hired to tear up luggage is well quite frankly kind sir, ignorant.

Edit:Oh and people bring cheap luggage and expect it to be durable.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None

This shade of green?

Limes2.jpg

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
What effects would eliminating the concept of seniority have on the industry?

In other words: you get hired and placed in cockpit x, seat y based on the needs of your character and your hours and quals vs. how long you've been there.

Has any carrier ever tried that as a way of cutting costs (or is it mandated / regulated)?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What effects would eliminating the concept of seniority have ....???....In other words: you get hired and placed in cockpit x, seat y based on the needs of your character and your hours and quals vs. how long you've been there.

Isn't that the way it's done now ... and always has been??? :)

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Now if they cut seniority among the other workers, that might be a great idea in motivating people to do their job better instead of slacking.