• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 FY11 School Selections

Lycurgus

I applied to USD and UCSD as well. UCSD is saying they won't release admision letters till mid-March...that was a waste of money!

kekio86

I rather go to the University of San Diego than SDSU. The only thing is the COST. I don't know how to cover that much. I heard about the yellow ribbon program, and I guess I can use my Post 9/11 GI BILL, but I rather transfer those benefits to my children/wife. How hard is to get into UCLA?

skuzmin

When did you initially apply? I sent mine in 27OCT (now realizing I should have applied before results came out)... still waiting. It still says pending online, and Jessica said it is in the final stage of review. I am applying this weekend to USD and UCLA as a backup... I still would much rather be at SDSU though....

I just got a call from UCLA NROTC. I received a conditional acceptance into UCLA :)

byoder86

Just talked to a contact at SDSU... No official word but my folder is on the lady's desk that writes degree plans...

OscarMyers

None
If you actually need the DLA and the travel money, I would get advanced. They are pretty far behind on liquidating travel claims. It took them almost four months to proccess mine.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If you actually need the DLA and the travel money, I would get advanced. They are pretty far behind on liquidating travel claims. It took them almost four months to proccess mine.

Only get advanced money if you no shit need it. Advances are a way to get yourself into some financial trouble on down the road.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit

Travel claims? Mine only took a few days. There's no reason travel should ever take 4 months. Those go through YNs and PSs (or GSs) locally, if they're not doing their jobs go in and yell at them.

The DITY office, however, is what you need to worry about. They're way behind. The DITY office does not process travel though.

Ditto to Pags as well. Advances get screwed up too often, and those screw ups always result in paycheck deductions.

OscarMyers

None
Thats why i said if you actually need it. I totally agree with not owing Uncle Sam and having money disappear from your paycheck. But you are entitled to advance DLA, which is a fixed rate. You must have been lucky to get paid that fast. MCPON address it on his FB account a few months ago.

Lycurgus

I have been admitted to USD and SDSU. Leaning towards SDSU because of cost. I have heard of a work program at USD for OCs that pays for the rest of your tuition, but I have yet to get details. I have e-mailed the NROTC unit at USD and gotten no solid answers. Anybody heard anything like that?

kekio86

I have been admitted to USD and SDSU. Leaning towards SDSU because of cost. I have heard of a work program at USD for OCs that pays for the rest of your tuition, but I have yet to get details. I have e-mailed the NROTC unit at USD and gotten no solid answers. Anybody heard anything like that?

I got an email today from USD saying that I got accepted. I am as well concern about the cost, but if you use your STA21 money,GI BILL, yellow ribbon program, and work 10 hours for the school as a parking guy, you can cover all the cost. I am going to ask Mr. Handley tomorrow about that. I am leaning towards SDSU as well because everything is covered with the STA21 money and I can transfer my GI bill to my wife. We will see.....

CTT1 D

ENS D

Two ways to pay for tuition at USD:

Option 1 - STA-21 Funds + USD Working Grant. This will pay for all but approximately $800 per year. May not cover all books. Working Grant consists of working 8 hours per week on campus giving out parking tickets. The grant is open to all STA-21 OCs who attend USD so don't worry about applying for it, the ROTC unit takes care of it. (some out of pocket education expenses)

Option 2 - GI Bill plus Yellow Ribbon Program. USD and VA pay tuition leaving STA-21 funds to cover all books and community college during summer. (0 out of pocket expenses; burns GI Bill benefits)

Let me know if you have any questions about the San Diego NROTC unit or PM me if you need help getting in contact with anyone.

OC D