• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

speeding ticket

Carno

Insane
You went 85 in a 55 zone, and you want to get out of paying the ticket AND you want to miss training for it??

Just pay the ticket. You did choose to break the law.

hai24

pilot
You went 85 in a 55 zone, and you want to get out of paying the ticket AND you want to miss training for it??

Just pay the ticket. You did choose to break the law.

Quite the opposite. I don't want to miss training to go to the mandatory court date. It's mandatory because going over 80 is categorized as "reckless driving" which in VA "is a class one misdemeanor which means it the maximum punishment is 12 months incarceration and/or a $2,500 fine and/or 6 months license suspension." If it were as simple as accept I was an idiot and pay the ticket, I'd have done it already. Not sure what a "class one misdemeanor" is, but I don't think it would sound good under my belt.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm a resident of NYC. And it was a trooper. Man they were out in force that night. I'll have to talk to my SPC about the court date. Is it something I can be excused from training for?

I got the ticket in Fairfax. You can show up in a Service uniform? Would you recommend seeking legal advice and representation from an attorney?

...wish I had known that before I went 85 in a 55.

is there a min. or max. number of gears the bike can have on I-95?

Well, I just went to traffic court in Fairfax County for a 74 in a 55 ticket. It was one of the more sobering experiences to sit through 3 hours of traffic court and see about 6 people hauled off to jail for driving without a license or doing 105 in a 55.

All that said, you are right on the cusp of some serious penalties. I saw two guys with 83 in 55 tickets, neither had VA licenses, be suspended from driving in VA for 15 days. You can drive home but have to get someone to drive you to a DMV to get your driving privileges restored after the 15 days are up. You are at the 30mph or over category, I did not see anyone with one that high and it is worse than two guys with the 83 in 55 tickets, so I would seriously advise you consult a lawyer, the penalty might be a bit stiffer. I am not joking when I say this.

There were about 12 people who had lawyers and entered pleas with the court for speeding (usually 80 and over) and had the penalty lowered, unlike those who did not have one and got hammered. At the very least I would consult a lawyer or call the court, to determine what penalties could be leveled against you. It may cost you money in the short term but I would hate to see you get a suspended jail sentence or even hauled off to court, and they did it straight from the courtroom.

I would hate to be a downer but Virginia is not really nice to speeders lately.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Quite the opposite. I don't want to miss training to go to the mandatory court date. It's mandatory because going over 80 is categorized as "reckless driving" which in VA "is a class one misdemeanor which means it the maximum punishment is 12 months incarceration and/or a $2,500 fine and/or 6 months license suspension." If it were as simple as accept I was an idiot and pay the ticket, I'd have done it already. Not sure what a "class one misdemeanor" is, but I don't think it would sound good under my belt.

Seriously, I would consult a lawyer.....soon.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
The only speeding ticket I have got was out of state. I payed it then took the online traffic school thing. I just left my computer on for 4 hours.. easy as that... wish it could be that easy for you

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You get the ticket....you show up to the court date on the ticket.....you plead not guilty......they set up another court date.....before which time you set up a meeting to speak with the city/county prosecutor. At this point, you can say whatever you want, I'm a pilot and tickets aren't good for my record/it was raining and I couldn't see the speed limit/I don't care what you say.......but if you're cool enough.....they will typically just have you pay the court fees(cheap) and send you on your way with a non-moving violation if anything. They want your money, not your license.

Like I just described above, that is not the way it works in VA nowadays. They had a Commonwealth lawyer in the room, who left often and worked out pleas with the guys who had lawyers, but they will not let someone off with an 85 in a 55 ticket with court costs and a smile.

I have been to traffic court several times before (never VA) but I never saw them that strick before. It was not a nice experience....:(

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
Like I just described above, that is not the way it works in VA nowadays. They had a Commonwealth lawyer in the room, who left often and worked out pleas with the guys who had lawyers, but they will not let someone off with an 85 in a 55 ticket with court costs and a smile.

I have been to traffic court several times before (never VA) but I never saw them that strick before. It was not a nice experience....:(

Flash is right...like I said before, Virginia fucks motorist who break the law.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket Virginia legislator introduces new speeding ticket tax that boosts penalties beyond $3550, driving business to his traffic law firm.

Virginia motorists convicted of minor traffic violations will face a new, multi-year tax beginning July 1. Led by state Delegate David B. Albo (R-Springfield), lawmakers slipped a driver responsibility tax into a larger transportation funding bill signed by Governor Tim Kaine (D) in April. Albo, a senior partner in the Albo & Oblon, LLP traffic law firm, can expect to see a significant increase in business as motorists seek to protect their wallet from traffic tickets that come with assessments of up to $3000 in addition to an annual point tax that tops out at $700 a year for as long as the points remain.

"The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this section is to generate revenue," the new law states. (Virginia Code 46.2-206.1)

Driving as little as 15 MPH over the limit on an interstate highway now brings six license demerit points, a fine of up to $2500, up to one year in jail, and a new mandatory $1050 tax. The law also imposes an additional annual fee of up to $100 if a prior conviction leaves the motorist with a balance of eight demerit points, plus $75 for each additional point (up to $700 a year). The conviction in this example remains on the record for five years.

Other six-point convictions include "failing to give a proper signal," "passing a school bus" or "driving with an obstructed view." The same $1050 assessment applies, but the conviction remains on the record for eleven years.

Although the amount of the tax can add up quickly, the law forbids judges from reducing or suspending it in any way. The tax applies only to Virginia residents, so that out-of-state motorists only need to pay the regular ticket amount. Michigan, New Jersey, New York and Texas also impose a somewhat more modest driver responsibility tax which they apply to out-of-state residents.
[/FONT]The Virginia Supreme Court provides a full explanation of the new penalties for each traffic infraction in the 34k PDF file at the source link below.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Source:
pdf-mini.gif
Civil Remedial Fees (Executive Secretary, Virginia Supreme Court, 6/21/2007)

It's not pretty what we've had to put up with recently...but apparently some measures are being taken to try and reverse these laws...as they are indescribably ridiculous...which you can see.

[/FONT]

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Great idea...but unfortunately, detectors are illegal in VA...:p
This state fucks you with traffic violations of any kind, and
making radar detectors illegal doesn't even give us a fighting chance. :eek:

But this is a decent site to use...pretty resourceful.

<========They are illegal but LEO's can't detect this one. I pick their signals up over 2 miles out.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
<========They are illegal but LEO's can't detect this one

Wait until you get a ticket because they saw it through the window, they had a few of those. I believe they are illegal on military bases too.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Wait until you get a ticket because they saw it through the window, they had a few of those. I believe they are illegal on military bases too.

I take it down on base. They use Spectre III in Va, which is a radar detector detector. Fortunately for me I don't live in a state where they are illegal, and if I did I know plenty of ways to mount for stealth, plus my current detector can't and will never be able to be detected. I've used detectors for many years, and got two tickets while in use. The detector did its job perfectly, however I did not pay attention and react quick enough. It did take a little bit of the sting off the final $$$ though. To get the right detector it really depends what kind of driver you are, but if your foot tends to get heavy get protected.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I take it down on base. They use Spectre III in Va, which is a radar detector detector. Fortunately for me I don't live in a state where they are illegal, and if I did I know plenty of ways to mount for stealth, plus my current detector can't and will never be able to be detected. I've used detectors for many years, and got two tickets while in use. The detector did its job perfectly, however I did not pay attention and react quick enough. It did take a little bit of the sting off the final $$$ though. To get the right detector it really depends what kind of driver you are, but if your foot tends to get heavy get protected.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but never say never when it comes to Electronic Warfare. While you might hav ea stealth detector now but I am certain that someone will come up with something that can detect your precious radar detector, I am sure they are workign on a Spectre IV right now. If you don't believe it, you are deluding yourself, and don't know enough about ES and EW.........:eek:

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I'm sorry to burst your bubble but never say never when it comes to Electronic Warfare. While you might hav ea stealth detector now but I am certain that someone will come up with something that can detect your precious radar detector, I am sure they are workign on a Spectre IV right now. If you don't believe it, you are deluding yourself, and don't know enough about ES and EW.........:eek:

Yeah they are actually trying to create Spectre IV right now, but the problem is the STi's leakage is sow low. So if they made something to pick it up, they would also pick up microwaves, cellphones etc. They also found that it might not be cost beneficial, because there is only 1 detector that is undetectable. I would actually give up my stealth for V1 performance anyday, but being in the Navy you never know what state you'll end up at. I'm sure you're right one day they will think of something, but then they will think of something to counter it. I just like to convince myself I won't have to pay mucho $$$ for a while. It's like the snake to my mongoose, or is it the mongoose to my snake? i don't know animals. Would anyone on here be willing to provide jamming cover for me while I drive to base in the morning? Just a thought.

Mitch

disease free
Get an attorney, look nice in court (concur w/ previous post - no uniform), say "sir/ma'am", nod politely and purchase a vehicle w/ cruise control. Use it.

Emphasis on step 1 (get some representation). Got a reckless driving ticket in NC from a state cop as a 1stLt, got a lawyer, didn't have to go to court, got it reduced, no more "reckless." The law works in mysterious ways.

snake020

Contributor

And then the industry will add a detector for the new radar detector detectors in addition to the ones they have now.