• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

speeding ticket

hai24

pilot
Does anyone have any specific advice as to what to do with a Virginia speeding ticket outside of MCB Quantico?

FLY_USMC

pilot
If you really want advice, this is what I've always done, at least in my home state. CAVEATED WITH I've learned when it's appropriate and when it isn't appropriate to bend the speed limit, and I now make a point not to put myself in a "need to speed" setting.

You get the ticket....you show up to the court date on the ticket.....you plead not guilty......they set up another court date.....before which time you set up a meeting to speak with the city/county prosecutor. At this point, you can say whatever you want, I'm a pilot and tickets aren't good for my record/it was raining and I couldn't see the speed limit/I don't care what you say.......but if you're cool enough.....they will typically just have you pay the court fees(cheap) and send you on your way with a non-moving violation if anything. They want your money, not your license.

Has worked a grand total of 4 times in my younger years and my uncle the truck driver who taught me this, says it's worked for him more times than he can count. Say it doesn't work, well if you're poor like I was in college, you just bought yourself 2 months to get the $$ for the ticket.

JMMH

Ugh.
Without getting into specifics of: are you a resident of VA, was it a city/county cop or VA state trooper...

If you're at TBS, would you even be able to make a court date-- or 2?

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
What county or jurisdiction did you get it in? I have not gotten a speeding ticket in NOVA in 7 years, and I have been pulled over 5times. Being in the military usually gets you off! In Fairfax and Arlington counties just go to court in uniform, and explain your self, usually they just make you pay court costs, $35-55 but not on your record. (Worked for my wife)

hai24

pilot
Without getting into specifics of: are you a resident of VA, was it a city/county cop or VA state trooper...

If you're at TBS, would you even be able to make a court date-- or 2?
I'm a resident of NYC. And it was a trooper. Man they were out in force that night. I'll have to talk to my SPC about the court date. Is it something I can be excused from training for?

What county or jurisdiction did you get it in? I have not gotten a speeding ticket in NOVA in 7 years, and I have been pulled over 5times. Being in the military usually gets you off! In Fairfax and Arlington counties just go to court in uniform, and explain your self, usually they just make you pay court costs, $35-55 but not on your record. (Worked for my wife)
I got the ticket in Fairfax. You can show up in a Service uniform? Would you recommend seeking legal advice and representation from an attorney?

Make sure if you DO get a ticket, don't go over 80...anything 80+ is considered reckless in this great Commonwealth
...wish I had known that before I went 85 in a 55.

Ride your bike from now on.
is there a min. or max. number of gears the bike can have on I-95?

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
I'm a resident of NYC. And it was a trooper. Man they were out in force that night. I'll have to talk to my SPC about the court date. Is it something I can be excused from training for?

They're in full force every night in Virginia, especially Fairfax...it's a regular hot spot for police activity. You said you were going 20+ over, which unfortunately is considered reckless....there's not much you can do in your case (aside from trying to appeal it, which seldom works..as NOVA takes it's driving laws seriously). Best advice, just keep an eye on your speed.

k_smittay

Does anyone have any specific advice as to what to do with a Virginia speeding ticket outside of MCB Quantico?

Go to court and ask very very nicely to pay a fine and take a class if they let you. Since you arent a VA resident they cannot hit you with those new expensive tickets/quarterly taxes.

P.S.- Don't wear a uniform to court. Some judges think you are looking for sympathy or special treatment for wearing a uniform. Just dress nice.

Lawman

None
Great idea...but unfortunately, detectors are illegal in VA...:p
This state fucks you with traffic violations of any kind, and
making radar detectors illegal doesn't even give us a fighting chance. :eek:

But this is a decent site to use...pretty resourceful.

They're useless anyway. Ive been on the other side of the Radar gun, believe me its always funny to pull over the guy doing 20+ faster then everybody else around him with the big radar detector on his front windshield. If you speed and get caught, suck it up and pay. Anything else just shows you think you need to be treated differently from the rest of us. And yes, Ive both gotten and written other LEO's tickets. The "good ole boy" network BS has to stop and for the most part it is.