• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So, what do you think about this?

In my opinion, the weight of the ASTB stats is worth?

• Over 90% of what the selection boards care about

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over 75% of what the selection boards care about

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Over 50% of what the selection boards care about

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Over 25% of what the selection boards care about

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Is no more important than many other factors

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Direct quote from my recruiter: "If you've got the GPA and the ASTB scores, you're gonna get accepted." So, she thinks those two are by far the most important parts of the application.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I know it does not seem like good gouge but don't put NFO as number 2 pick.

BUM GOUGE ALERT!!!!

I have some inside information (go figure) about NFO and even SWO. Not that you should ever wait to apply, but now is a very good time to apply!!

Just because the pipeline is full, does not mean that they they are going to have the bodies they need to man the fleet in 1-3 years.

NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO APPLY!!!

cdrsniper

Lovin' life....
BUM GOUGE ALERT!!!!

I have some inside information (go figure) about NFO and even SWO. Not that you should ever wait to apply, but now is a very good time to apply!!

Just because the pipeline is full, does not mean that they they are going to have the bodies they need to man the fleet in 1-3 years.

Rocky,

I think you just put alot of us at ease with those simple few words! Thanks!!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Direct quote from my recruiter: "If you've got the GPA and the ASTB scores, you're gonna get accepted." So, she thinks those two are by far the most important parts of the application.

Oh yah, that DWI doesn't mean a thing. The Prozac you took for a year because you couldn't deal with your girl friend leaving is nothing to worry about. Filing bankruptcy at 23 and having a 500 credit score could happen to anyone. Taking 6 years to get your degree and that smoking GPA doesn't matter. Having never swung a bat, tossed a football or run a mile won't bother the board at all. Lets be real, GPA and ASTB isn't all it takes to get accepted.

cdrsniper

Lovin' life....
Oh yah, that DWI doesn't mean a thing. The Prozac you took for a year because you couldn't deal with your girl friend leaving is nothing to worry about. Filing bankruptcy at 23 and having a 500 credit score could happen to anyone. Taking 6 years to get your degree and that smoking GPA doesn't matter. Having never swung a bat, tossed a football or run a mile won't bother the board at all. Lets be real, GPA and ASTB isn't all it takes to get accepted.

Nicely put! I couldnt agree more.

Stretch32

Whats wrong with that!!? I turned out fine. :)

BackOrdered

Contributor
If I had to take a guess, I'd say well over 25%. There are alot of instances where they won't look at your app if you don't score so high. There has to be a reason for that.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
BUM GOUGE ALERT!!!!

Then again, as you say, anytime is a good time to apply, because it raises the chances of acceptance from 0% to somewhere above 0%.

BurtonF22

I agree that applying is the first step to success. That being said, I wish they made selection stats public. It would be great to see what the trend is from board to board. No one can really tell what ASTB score is acceptable for any given field, not to mention whether its even possible to overcome a moderate test perfromance with other attributes!?!?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Good luck Burton... you have much better credentials than I had when I got SNA select (prior to '01)... I had a DWI as well as an abominable college GPA. It seems to have gotten way more competetive in just a few years.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree that applying is the first step to success. That being said, I wish they made selection stats public. It would be great to see what the trend is from board to board. No one can really tell what ASTB score is acceptable for any given field, not to mention whether its even possible to overcome a moderate test perfromance with other attributes!?!?
They don't because every person is different and has a unique application, and they REALLY DO look at the whole person and the totality of that person's challenges and accomplishments. Giving just a spread sheet of astb scores and gpa simply does not tell the whole story. Just consider gpa...how rigorous was the major, (basket weaving vs engineering), what school did the degree come from, (MIT vs third tier state college), how many semester did it take to graduate, how many hours did the guy work a week, if he worked at all, was he an athlete and what was the time commitment, did he have a spouse and child at home during college? You get the point I am sure. An experience recruiter that has seen several of his own guys selected and has stayed up on the current competitive profile from CNRC is the best person to guess what your chances are. It isn't witchcraft and magic, but it sure isn't an exact science. But hey, because I like you, I will tell you what I have seen in the way of GPA and ASTB. Ready, this is high level CNRC intel...... A successful OAR will run 40 and up and a successful GPA will be about 2.5 and up. There ya go. How useful is that? Now all you have to do is guess what the rest of a successful application looks like with a low 40 OAR and a 2.5 GPA. I bet you have an idea though. Good luck. You are working it too hard.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Basket weaving seems to be a popular major...too bad they don't offer here at UO, unfortunately we are more of a liberal arts focus school...