• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So, what do you think about this?

In my opinion, the weight of the ASTB stats is worth?

• Over 90% of what the selection boards care about

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over 75% of what the selection boards care about

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Over 50% of what the selection boards care about

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Over 25% of what the selection boards care about

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Is no more important than many other factors

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

BurtonF22

You can bitch about the ASTB all you like.

It's a required hoop. You must jump through it.

Apply with what you got. Study for the ASTB again. If you get denied, reappl with a new ASTB score.
Hmmm, I have read through all of the posts and:

-No one is bitching about having to take the ASTB;
-No one seems confused that it is a required "hoop";
-We've already discussed applying with whatever scores the applicant has;
-And it has been made quite clear to keep re-applying and to re-take the test if needed.

I guess I am not seeing the benefit of your post? The reason I started this post was to get some opinions, discuss the test and options, and to have some fun with my co-contributors. I don't think you need to be so harsh in your responces!

MasterBates

I think you need to get thicker skin to survive in a ready room.

This was not a personal affront to you. If I wanted to or meant to insult you, I tend to be VERY direct.

This question/complaint comes up often..

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I completely agree that standardized tests are completely bogus for the most part, but the SAT is very good about one thing - it's an incredibly accurate predictor of a student's performance in first year classes in college.

Although your major is considerably harder and more valuable than many of the liberal bullshit degrees awarded today, it's not technical because, according to whoever made up the guidelines, the curriculum isn't based primarily around math.

I would like to see proof of that, never heard it before. It definitely did not apply to me, I did much better than my score would have indicated.

BS or not (get it?), the Navy takes any degree.........including a dual major Women's Studies and French from Berkeley. Just ask Brett, that was what one of his DH's had.......and he was a dude.......;)

KRED

We spent tax dollars on THIS?
Timing is everything

It is my opinion that timing is everything. Right now you have a slightly better chance of getting pilot because the NFO pipeline is supposted to be completely shut of for a while, due to the 100 to many NFO at a-pool. I know it does not seem like good gouge but don't put NFO as number 2 pick. Several of the guys I graduated OCS with did not have great scores, but made pilot because of SOME flight experience. My biggest reccomendation would be to go get 5, 10, 20 hours flight time and put that in your package. I am very certain that looks good.

cdrsniper

Lovin' life....
It is my opinion that timing is everything. Right now you have a slightly better chance of getting pilot because the NFO pipeline is supposted to be completely shut of for a while, due to the 100 to many NFO at a-pool. I know it does not seem like good gouge but don't put NFO as number 2 pick. Several of the guys I graduated OCS with did not have great scores, but made pilot because of SOME flight experience. My biggest reccomendation would be to go get 5, 10, 20 hours flight time and put that in your package. I am very certain that looks good.

I AGREE BIG TIME!! I just did my appraisals today and they loved that I have 15 hrs in a cessna.

kevoGTO

SNA select OCS 8Sept07, ProRec SNA 26Jan09
Flight time never hurts. I only had 20 hours and no ratings when I submitted my package, but I think it was a big +.

If you can get a few hours of flight time, you show them two things. One, you have the initiative to get off your a** and show that you really want to be a pilot. No one can say they can't afford $1000 for a few hours flight time - if you really, really want to fly, you'll get a second job, sell your kidney, etc. More importantly to the boards perhaps, having at least some flight experience shows that you've been in a small plane, didn't freak out, and can psychologically handle the idea of being in an aluminum tube a couple miles off of the ground. Last thing the boards want is to let in some geek who studied his a** off in college to get the numbers, liked Top Gun, and will make it 2 weeks through IFS before he washes out because he's scared of a stall.

If you can swing it, get some flight time before your app gets to the boards...you can add it to your package up until the day your recruiter sends it to CNRC.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor

I got picked for NFO and didn't even put it down! They are throwing them at people and still can't give them away! :D

I would say timing more than anything determins what will happen. Also the quality of the other guys applying that paticular month. I had a PPL with 65 hours including acro time and didn't get picked the first two times. I would venture to say my overall package was stronger then most others but my ASTB AOR is what kept me from getting selected (53). I also had a none technical major which I think played a big part...

All you can do it keep improving youself and plugging away...

good luck!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First for Burton, Yes your scores are low, but as some have said,they do look at the whole package and on balance, your GPA, and prior service makes up for much of the score. I think you have a fair chance. Just reapply if you don't get in. MasterBates may not think you have a thick enough skin for his ready room. but I would be happy to have you in mine (well, if I still was in one).

For the rest of you, a little review and background that seems to be needed based on reading this thread.

-Putting down NFO, or anything else, will not compromise your chances of getting selected for you first choice. Just be sure you will take any second or third choices.

-The astb has been around for over 30 years as I recall. The version that only just got replaced in the last two years, was around for over 20 years. You guys can wax eloquent about what you think it measures and how effectively it predicts success in the pipeline, but after all these years there are enough data points to convince some pretty heavy hitting psychologists and educators that the test is very effective. It isn't perfect. Just as close as we can get.

-Believe it or not, ASTB scores also have bee looked at for correlation with DOR from OCS. I have seen a report that seems to show some correlation. In the case of Burton, that is off set by his prior military experience.

-To follow up on the comments regarding standardized tests verse academic test, the astb is not unlike the real world in that you don't get time to study just before you have multiple abnormal indications in an aircraft and you have to determine which checklist or course of action is appropriate., No chance to go back and brush up on your reading comprehension or vacab when the chief of staff drops some three inch NATO document on your desk and says
"I want the executive summery by close of business."

-Age is also a factor in DOR. The older a guy the more likely he will DOR. This is a very strong correlation. That is why the age waivers are given to prior service guys. They are less likely to DOR because they know what they are getting into and the upside of a continued military career is strong enough to prevent DORs.

-Just because they have an excess of NFOs in A-pool does not mean they will select more pilots. They select the number of pilots needed to man the fleet. They know that number going into the year.

-Flight time does help. A few hours is good. Solo is great. Over a few hundred hours and several ratings and it can start to be a negative issue. A private pilots license will not cure bad astb scores or get over the blemish of even a misdemeanor arrest. It isn't a cure all.

BurtonF22

Hey Wink, Wow, great post. You are very clear and concise in your words. I wish the recruiter I am currently working with had the experiance you do. Anyway, thanks for the post, we all appreciate it, well except for MasterBates, he probably thinks you talk too much :)