• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So much for no "forced" Nukes...

MemphisGold

Tossing trons.
pilot
As a draftee of the '08 draft, I can feel the pain that comes with being yanked out of the community that I wanted to be in. I was already in IFS, when I was told that I had to go to a Nuke Interview the following week. Attempts to get out of it were fruitless, because they hung the "You might get SWO" card in front of me from the very beginning.

So I went to the Navy Yard and did the technical interviews taking every opportunity to tell the interviewers that I didn't want to be a submariner at all, but that I would do it if forced to. When I finally met the Admiral, I told him as well that I didn't want to do it, but I would if I had to. By the good graces of someone or something, the Admiral said no and a few weeks later I was told that I had my old Pilot slot back.

So, don't give up and if you truly want to be an Aviator then make sure you tell the Sub guys that at every corner. If you are good enough for the Sub interview chances are your original selection would want you back.

MemphisGold

Tossing trons.
pilot
Academy. They took about five of us that were already in IFS. Certainly made preparing for the technical interviews a bit more of a challenge.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
Looks like I'm a little late to this discussion, but I'm at KU and we're having the same problem. This is exactly why I tell people I support bringing women on Submarines. The fact is that the Nuclear community is still about 15 people short for last year. You can go around my unit here and ask people what they want to do and about 90% want to fly. Most don't have a degree that will get them through an interview at NR, but that will change next year when something like 85% of Navy options are required to be pursuing technical degrees. I think the OPs letter says it about perfectly though where it says, "community assignments are ultimately grounded in Navy and Marine Corps requirements."
You may not like where you end up going, but I don't think that's the point. It's an office of public service, not to mention the fact they just bought your entire education.
Just my two cents.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Two more of my classmates got "drafted" last night... 5 days before service selection. They were certainly bummed out.

And I think I mentioned it here earlier, but they are letting several women go subs from the Academy this year, but they don't count in the sub numbers for filling the Navy's requirements.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they letting some women go subs, why aren't they counting them towards the Navy's numbers? That doesn't make sense. It seems like they're kind of shooting themselves in the foot by adding to their numbers, while saying they aren't meeting their quotas.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
If they letting some women go subs, why aren't they counting them towards the Navy's numbers? That doesn't make sense. It seems like they're kind of shooting themselves in the foot by adding to their numbers, while saying they aren't meeting their quotas.

Most likely due to the fact that they are beginning to train women for the job even though the community is not yet ready to receive them ... there is a lead time on this sort of thing ...

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2009/09/navy_roughead_subs_092409w/

Cleonard19

Contributor
If worst comes to worst, the women will just go through the pipeline, and then go out to a surface ship to earn their SWO pin, vice earning their SWO pin before coming here.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

Not sure but they aren't. I think the 2 biggest reasons are that they are a) so far only allowed to serve on boomers and b) not sure how they are going to make it all work yet...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I have no issue with women serving on subs in the academic sense, the job is the exact same as on a surface ship. My only question stems from having facilities for both on the sub. Granted, I have a total time of a little over 30 days underway on one, but I would be hard pressed to remember or imagine how they would create separate heads, staterooms, and whatever else may be needed.

Unless we go Starship Troopers style and have co-ed showers and staterooms, I just can't see women on subs happening.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure but they aren't. I think the 2 biggest reasons are that they are a) so far only allowed to serve on boomers and b) not sure how they are going to make it all work yet...

Ah, this suggests the Navy learned absolutely nothing from the integration of surface ships and aviation units. The old "we don't really know how this is going to work, so we're just going to throw some women in and hope for the best" has never really worked. If this is the case, this really pisses me off, because inevitably this decision will be rushed for political reasons and the fleet won't be ready, so when some major incident goes down, the anti-women on subs crowd is going to be able to go, "See, we told you women didn't belong on subs!" I would put money on this happening.

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
I understand that the Navy wants a diversified Officer field and all that, but if they are short X number of Nuke slots from the Academy, ROTC, OCS, etc. why don't they get them from somewhere else? STA-21 seems like a good source for Nuke O's. Half of my NSI class was "Baby Nukes" fresh from A-school or prototype that had been voluntold to apply for the STA-21 Nuke Option. I'm sure the Nuke quota could be met by grabbing up a few more of these candidates. They wouldn't have to go through the whole interview process becuase they are academically adept and they chose to be Enlisted Nukes. Give them the opportunity to be an Nuke O? That would sound good to me if I was a Nuke and had no idea what life in the fleet is like for that community.

EM1

They are moving towards seperate heads on the integrated ships. The integration of the submarine force, as dramatic as it sounds is going to really be the integration of about half the Ohio Class submarines. The Navy Times article spelled out pretty much exactly how they are going to do it. First the wardroom will be integrated, which is a non issue, because O's are in 2 or 3 man (or woman) staterooms on those, and the head would be equipped with a $20 flip sign. Next when these same Ohio Classes go in for their 20 year overhauls, they will convert the lounge areas on them to a female berthing and head area for 20 to 30 women. This is a pretty simple retrofit, and when you remember that the Ohio classes were originally designed for a coed crew, it doesn't seem that extreme.

688's will never be coed. Virginia Class will likely never be coed. If they want to integrate fast boats, it will take an entire new class designed for it.

I've logged over 4 years on one of these Ohio Class boats, and I don't see where the issues would be. Then again, I've never been on an integrated ship either.

EM1

but if they are short X number of Nuke slots from the Academy, ROTC, OCS, etc.
They already force all male STA-21 Nuke OC's to go subs. If you are a nuke selectee you sign a statement of understanding stating that you WILL go subs if they need you too

They want memebers from all comissioning methods on all platforms. They don't want a situation where all officers in ANY community come from the enlisted side. A certain percentage needs to come from other methods.

The Navy bought the educations of both NROTC and USNA midshipmen. The Navy says "We need people for this". Why should they be above needs of service and STA-21 OC's the only ones subjected to it?