• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So much for no "forced" Nukes...

schnoodle

What do people make of this sentence in the letter?

If you are subsequently identified for a Submarine interview, understand that you were released from your preferred community after serious consideration.

Does this mean that if, as suggested, you politely but firmly reinforce your position that you aren't a good fit for the NUC communities, that you may not be accepted back into aviation? Is this the stick (or hammer) part of the message?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Our XO wears a Nuke pin, due to the fact that he was able to lateral transfer into aviation, and continue on into Prowlers. So if you want it bad enough, take the orders you are given and do well in the fleet so you have the opportunity to get what you want. You wouldn't be the first one.....

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
If I was smart enough to be a nuke I'd go submarines. Think about it. Who's gonna live through the nuclear holocaust. The submariners.

OK Lasers, I thought about it! I'd go Submarines, but NOT for the reason you cited. After all, would you really want to live in a world devastated by a nuclear holocaust? Think about it.:confused:
BzB

Anybody (among the dinosaurs) remember the 1959 movie "On The Beach"? Addresses the above issues somewhat...altho perhaps a bit "dated" today. (Never forgot the song "Waltzing Matilda"...:(.)

Nevertheless, ended up "target planning" like all my peers...qualified spec weps strike pilot...and later became the A7 RAG (VA-122) NBC Warfare Instructor!! :D.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
Apropos of nothing whatsoever, it seems to me that if the Navy is genuinely serious about allowing females to enter the submarine service, "now's the time" to open the officer training pipeline so that when the policy gets changed, we're already a leg up on training qualifications, etc. Heck, might even make the goal with volunteers in this situation of they opened he process to the female Middies.

Thinkin' big thoughts...I've got a million of 'em.

Well IIRC they've already let female mids from NROTC go to subs for their summer thing so it's well on its way...

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Anybody (among the dinosaurs) remember the 1959 movie "On The Beach"? Addresses the above issues somewhat...altho perhaps a bit "dated" today. (Never forgot the song "Waltzing Matilda"...:(.)

Nevertheless, ended up "target planning" like all my peers...qualified spec weps strike pilot...and later became the A7 RAG (VA-122) NBC Warfare Instructor!! :D.

It's a good book, too. The part (not sure if it's in the movie) where they surface in a ghost-town Seattle to turn off the left-on short wave radio station is pretty creepy.

-Not a Dinosaur

Oh and an on-topic question: how does the Sub service reconcile these forced selections with it's "we're an all-volunteer service" mantra? Is it more along the lines that if you don't volunteer, you're not commissioning, or going undesignated-SWO as they did w/ the '04s?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Seems to be some confusion... several of my classmates have been hit with "the draft" or been told they are being considered for it.

1. Originally they had almost enough numbers in our class for Nuke, but then they got really picky and stopped picking up guys who had ~ 2.7 in EE who had Nuke as 1st choice, but started taking those with a 3.x in things like English with it as their 2nd choice or later. No joke.
2. Tanking the interview is not really an option. You could be relegated to choices lower on your list than subs/nuke SWO as a result of this. (And that seems to happen more often than not, at least in our perception).
3. Naval Reactors and the good Admiral probably do care what you want but they also need numbers. Case in point: one of my best friends seemed like a lock for Marines - when you see him, he's top notch in every way 3.4ish Economics, PT STUD, Leatherneck FITREP that praised him in every way, etc. He told the Admiral that he would prefer Marines and feels like he did everything he could, but he would man up and do what was needed of him to serve. I admire this guy more than any of my classmates, I really do. Was he disappointed? Sure. Did he sack up and is now getting pumped for Subs? Yeah... especially for Charleston. He has the best attitude I've ever met of anyone. Other guys seem to just accept it and others seem to fight it.
4. They are taking a few females from my class and the rumor mill has one has even been "drafted" out from her Med-Corps spot for subs, but their numbers do not count for the quota of males they need, since currently, the plan only allows for women on boomers.

In all this is effecting a lot of people in my class. 1 guy in my company has been drafted/interviewed/selected, and 3 more have been told they are likely going to be drafted. My sponsor brother is also getting the draft after having Pilot down as #1.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Okay, is Nuke and Subs NOT voluntary anymore?

Just curious.

They say that if it's anywhere on your list, it's you volunteering. Which, I think sucks for the NROTC guys because they HAVE to have it somewhere on their list, if I am not mistaken, right?

We don't have to, but we do have to have SWO somewhere on it.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Okay, is Nuke and Subs NOT voluntary anymore?

Just curious.

They say that if it's anywhere on your list, it's you volunteering. Which, I think sucks for the NROTC guys because they HAVE to have it somewhere on their list, if I am not mistaken, right?

We don't have to, but we do have to have SWO somewhere on it.
No volunteering necessary for SWO Nuc. Subs are voluntary.

Just like aviation, if you are given subs, you can DOR (i.e. un-volunteer).

"Admiral, to preserve the sanctity of my butthole, I am no longer volunteering to serve aboard a submarine....."

CashvillePlt

OVER THE LINE!
OK Lasers, I thought about it! I'd go Submarines, but NOT for the reason you cited. After all, would you really want to live in a world devastated by a nuclear holocaust? Think about it.:confused:
BzB
Totally agree. After the blast, what's left? A bunch of radiation. That's it. I think I'll take the bright flash that hits me before I even know what happened.:eek:

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Enlisted Source: Due to the high priority of nuclear officer recruiting, a specific number of STA-21 seats are reserved for enlisted personnel who have successfully completed or are enrolled in the nuclear power training pipeline. The only applicants eligible to apply for this option are those who are currently:

1. enrolled in Naval Nuclear Power School (NAVNUPWRSCOL) or Naval Nuclear Power Training Unit (NAVNUPWRTRAU); or
  2. assigned to NAVNUPWRTRAU as staff pickup instructors or sea returnee instructors.

Pulled straight from the STA-21 website. If they need more nukes, why not allow ALL prior nukes to apply for the Nuclear Option under STA-21? I was okay with going back nuke, but being on recruiting duty when I applied for STA-21, I wasn't allowed to. Therefore, I got pumped up for something different, Aviation. They need to look at where BIG numbers are leaving the community and see why/how. Then maybe they can get the numbers they need to 'make goal'.

ELT(SS)

Pulled straight from the STA-21 website. If they need more nukes, why not allow ALL prior nukes to apply for the Nuclear Option under STA-21? I was okay with going back nuke, but being on recruiting duty when I applied for STA-21, I wasn't allowed to. Therefore, I got pumped up for something different, Aviation. They need to look at where BIG numbers are leaving the community and see why/how. Then maybe they can get the numbers they need to 'make goal'.
As per OPNAVINST 1, there is no using common sense allowed.

JonDW7

Time to Man Up...

There was a guy in my API class who went to the Boat School, service selected aviation, but was then drafted for nuke. He went straight to the admiral, and was given back his pilot slot. Yes, there is a mission, and necessary quotas, but if you handle it the proper way, this quota may be able to be met without you.

Also, remember that nuke training is voluntary. You can DOR. What's the worst that can happen then? You redesignate to something better? I would even take SWO over nuke.

Good luck guys. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.