• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Sierra Hotel" Flight Suits

Renegade One

None
Anyone, or any squadrons, still do "SH" flight suits? They were common back when Cubi Point was a routine liberty stop. Just wondering if this thing has sort of died out. I'm not talking about the (pardon me...I'm showing my age...) "goofy party suits" like seen at Tailhook last year...baggy jammie suits made out of outlandish patterned material; I'm talking about tailor-made, fitted flight suits in squadron colors with appropriate embroidery, etc.

All the best, Spike

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
I saw an instructor at the HT's wearing one shortly before he went on an IA to Columbia. He was with HSL-51 out in Japan, and had a bright red flight suit.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I saw an instructor at the HT's wearing one shortly before he went on an IA to Columbia. He was with HSL-51 out in Japan, and had a bright red flight suit.

And at the HTs, we all called him a tool.

I've seen Blue, Black, and red flight bags...but they were only worn on "designated days" or for Symposiums or the what not.

Usually a command decision to go with them.

~D

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
What happened to wearing the standard green zoombag with the squadron designated flight deck jersey color underneath?

Which in HSL West was:

HSL-31 = Green Jersey
HSL-33 = Yellow Jersey
HSL-35 = Red Jersey
HSL-37 = I have no idea (any Rainbow Warriors out there that can fill in this gap?)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"VFA-147's black flightsuits....still gay."

That came up at every Foc'sle Follies both cruises I made on the Stennis.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone, or any squadrons, still do "SH" flight suits? They were common back when Cubi Point was a routine liberty stop. Just wondering if this thing has sort of died out. I'm not talking about the (pardon me...I'm showing my age...) "goofy party suits" like seen at Tailhook last year...baggy jammie suits made out of outlandish patterned material; I'm talking about tailor-made, fitted flight suits in squadron colors with appropriate embroidery, etc.

All the best, Spike

A lot of the Prowler squadrons, including mine, did not buy colored flight suits but had squadron logos, callsigns and wings sewn into regular ones. They looked nice and not as gay as a tomato red flight suit.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"Sierra Hotels" ?? Too gay.

We never got 'em -- we thought they looked too gay and represented some kinda clown-like affectation. Some guys had their rank/names/Wings embroidered on the shoulders and chest of our "regular" zoom bags (for flying - not for "parties") -- but that was it. We wore civies to parties. :)

Some guys, however, desperate to be somebody -- got their OWN S.H.'s and wore them to parties. :eek:

Now that was VERY gay ... :)

Renegade One

None
Well, crud...always sad to see something that was "way cool" in my JO days now being relegated to the "gay" ash pile of history. But thanks for the info.

So I won't bother to ask where squadrons are getting them made nowadays...that'd be too gay, I guess.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Dolphin International does a lot of business if you're wondering where guys get them.

I've seen red, blue, black, and dark blue sh's... I thought they looked pretty cool, but the SWOverall jokes never stopped. As well I've seen desert flight suits embroidered with subdued stitching. Not bad looking but you can't wear it over the beach, and tan suits have been hard to come by.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, crud...always sad to see something that was "way cool" in my JO days now being relegated to the "gay" ash pile of history. But thanks for the info.

So I won't bother to ask where squadrons are getting them made nowadays...that'd be too gay, I guess.

Spike...come on now...given a chance to ping on VFA-147 do you think the rest of the air wing would pass it up...We Keed, We Keed.

More common in my day were the Langley stripes you wore on the front of your green bag with embroidered wings. They went from the shoulder crease to the pocket.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
"VFA-147's black flightsuits....still gay."

That came up at every Foc'sle Follies both cruises I made on the Stennis.

Oh you missed out on the follow-up cruise on Vinson w/ -22 (replaced -211) wearing their bright red bags. Thing is, they didn't "stay" bright red and some were leaning toward the pink side. Good guys, not so good attire...