• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Sierra Hotel" Flight Suits

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The 90 degree corner of the bar ... right in the crotch (if you will forgive the expression) dead-center between the two rows of barstools depicted is where my Amigo's and I used to take the "high" ground AND hold it.

No Shit-Hot's allowed ... as don't ask/don't tell had not even been considered in those days ... :icon_wink

CUBI O'Club bar .... and CUBI/Subic in general = *sigh* .... talk about "good times" .... :)

photo_cubi_bar2.jpg

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Cubi O'club. 1974. We're down on the lower level of the bar. Most of the squadron is there, including the XO. Brand-X is holding the "high-ground" in the upper bar (the one in the picture). "Friendly" verbal jabs began to be exchanged between "high-ground" and "lower bar." Suddenly, the cry from the upper bar of "our XO can out-roll your XO" was heard. Serious stuff... The dice cup comes out. Down to the last roll. Our XO is victorious. Brand X has to buy us drinks. On the way back from taking our orders, I see one of the Brand-X JOs intercept the hostitute and whisper in her ear, while slipping her a bill of large denomination. Soon our drinks arrive.... in ONE bowl! Everything we had ordered was in THAT bowl. Nevermind... the bowl gets passed around with each person taking a swig... The last guy, a mild-mannered JG with three kids, finishes it off and holds the bowl high over his head in victory!
The crowd went wild!....
Great stuff. Dave, the night's hero, was killed six months later in an landing accident at Miramar. You know in 3710 it says "No section touch and goes." Dave is the reason for that...

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
A/C specific Natops limitation? We do them.

Great story. Always a downer to hear a great story followed up with something like that. :(

My bad (fixed on edit). It should have said (and now does) "touch and goes."

Section touch and go. Planes touch wingtips on runway. Dash-2 gets airborne. Dash-1 skids down runway at 180 kts sideways, pulls it into the air and stalls it out, then 100 feet above the runway and 135 degrees angle of bank... and nose down... saves it, but immediately stalls it again and goes into wingwalk. Between the overbank and wingwalk, the RIO punches. Canopy goes off while a/c wings level... he comes out with 135 degrees of bank and shoots himself into the dirt between 24L and 24R just as the chute is trying to deploy. Pilots lands the plane with the back canopy gone and the pole sticking out.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Wow, in the amount of time it took him to pull the handle (wings level I'm guessing) by the time the seat went, they were 135 degrees? That's some serious roll. Sad story.

No command eject for both guys?

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Wow, in the amount of time it took him to pull the handle (wings level I'm guessing) by the time the seat went, they were 135 degrees? That's some serious roll. Sad story.

No command eject for both guys?

The F-4 had a twist-valve in the back seat. The crew would decide where they wanted it. As a new guy, the pilot usually told you to put it in "Single" so that if the back seat went, then ONLY the back seat would go. As you got more experience, the valve was usually placed in the "Both" position. For some reason, the valve was in the "Single" position. I never really heard why.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
HSL-37 = I have no idea (any Rainbow Warriors out there that can fill in this gap?)

Maroon. Though Skipper Sears did try to institute the "gold" for awhile, but he was the only one, "...I think we should adopt gold, but hey I'm not going to tell you guys what to do as a wardroom". So he was the only guy wearing gold for 18 months. Also, I swear the MO on my first DET wore nothing but tie-died Grateful Dead tee shirts or Hyper-Colors (don't know where the hell he got a stash of those from in '95.

FTR I liked the gold too, but succumbed to JO pressure and didn't wear it. Now I'm fr3@king wearing gold every day here ;)... 'cept when I'm feeling loyal and don the AF regulation blk tee shirt.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Maroon. Though Skipper Sears did try to institute the "gold" for awhile, but he was the only one,

When I left, it was still primarily Maroon, but Gold (ie, yellow) was acceptable as well.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They're T-shirts. It's rare to fly w/ flight deck jerseys, especially in the tropical environment w/ little ventilation.