• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shooting debrief discussion

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I don't know all the ins and outs or your FNAEB system, but consider if you would want to go fly today if you thought you would have your wings pulled, and facing UCMJ charges 12 hours after being involved in a class A event. Would you think twice about jumping in if you had the choice?
The timeline for charges and wings pulled takes weeks and months, so your hypothetical question is a good one (what if the timeline was only several hours instead of weeks or months?).

The ill-fated flight could be your last flight; it would almost certainly be your last for at least a few months, analogous to being transferred off patrol to a desk, but keeping your pay and benefits while the administrative process worked through its steps. Although at the first clear sign of obvious criminal conduct, you'd be quickly taken into custody, and that could happen within hours of the original event.

Back to the present Brooks case, one of the things going around is that business about the District Attorney calling Tasers a deadly weapon earlier this month (in regards to a previous event between police and protesters). That really throws a wrench into the works. You gotta be very careful what you say when you're a DA, words have meaning...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have no problem at all with police walking off the job. How did we feel about the T-45 OBOGS situation?

We, in the royal usage of course, thought that was an immediate safety of flight issue. Not so much with the Atlanta police officers in this case, any more than what they face on any given duty day.

What will, and is happening, is that police everywhere are slowing way down in the proactive work that they do.

The Atlanta police not coming to work aren't slowing down the proactive work they do, they aren't doing any work.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Fulton County DA is in a runoff election for his job. If you don't look at his actions in that light, you are not seeing the big picture.

DA Howard has noted more than once he has prosecuted around 40 similar cases. Forty in one county? What happened to the cops rarely are prosecuted and held accountable?

The lawyers for Officer Brosnan are talking. While you rarely get the whole picture from body cams or first reports, you should get a more complete and honest account from the DA then we did. Brosnan was tased soon after Brooks took the taser and subsequently ran. That Brosnan even got up from a tasing and ran to back up his partner is something. Especially when you consider his fall after tasing hit his head and caused a concussion. The charge that Brosnan put his knee on Brooks could have an explanation too. Brosnan says he only heard shots, didn't know from who or in which direction. But when he saw the suspect down he put his knee onto the suspect to prevent him from moving until he had SA. Brosnan, concussed and confused, didn't even know Brooks was shot at that moment. The lawyers also say the prosecutor's timeline is wrong and they began aide almost immediately. I'd like to know how the prosecution created their time line. There are lots of clocks/timers in these situations. Dispatch, taser, phone video, 911, dashcam, business security video, witness estimates. Even if all are accurate to a point, they have to be synchronized.

Of course, all that insight is from Brosnan's defense lawyers. But as I see DA Howard's statements, what the defense has to say is at least as credible, maybe more. I am curious about the kick by Rolf. Have only seen a still from the video. Can't find the video. I am aware of officers angry with suspects for doing stupid stuff that put both officer and suspect in danger. It is sort of like a parent swatting a child after they dart out into traffic. Not an excuse, in either case, the point being the action is not meant to be cruel or indifferent. Even the opposite.

hdr777

pilot
Of course, all that insight is from Brosnan's defense lawyers. But as I see DA Howard's statements, what the defense has to say is at least as credible, maybe more. I am curious about the kick by Rolf. Have only seen a still from the video. Can't find the video

My guess for that one was him kicking the taser away from Brooks

exNavyOffRec

From what I'm reading, I believe we should bring back DARE. Teach the Yungins once and for all that drunk driving can lead to death. Third time is the charm, right?
View attachment 26465
The agency I was at fired our DARE officer, he was an alcoholic, they told him he had to get treatment, he refused and quit. He then became a commercial truck driver which is kind of frightening.

exNavyOffRec

Anecdote on this: My buddy got into a bar fight in college. Other guy instigated (multiple witnesses). Broke the guys jaw with an (un) lucky shot. Felony assault, 3 years probation with opportunity to expunge was the plea deal. Defense attorney told him take the deal bc the court case would almost certainly result in conviction and a year or two in prison.

No broken jaw would have been misdemeanor assault - 6-12 months in jail (although probably a much friendlier plea deal).

I had a guy that worked for me years ago that was able to get into the USN with a involuntary manslaughter conviction. He was a really nice guy so it shocked me, I read the info in his service record. He was at a bar (alcohol seems to always be involved) some guy started sexually assaulting his girlfriend (grabbed breast and ass) he confronted the guy, the guy tried to hit him and he punched the guy, he fell, hit his head and died. The problem is that my sailor had been a semi-pro boxer with lots of training so they said he used his training to really clobber the guy. He plead down to invol manslaughter and rec'd probation, if he had not been a semi pro boxer probably nothing would have happened.

taxi1

pilot
I sometimes wonder if he'd been high instead of drunk, if this would have worked out the way it did.

Alcohol destroys lives, unfortunately.

GroundPounder

We, in the royal usage of course, thought that was an immediate safety of flight issue. Not so much with the Atlanta police officers in this case, any more than what they face on any given duty day.

The Atlanta police not coming to work aren't slowing down the proactive work they do, they aren't doing any work.

You missed my point. What I am telling you is that police all over are making the decision to not stop the guy walking down the road at 0300 to see what he is doing, not pulling over the guy that drives by at 80 in a 55. A group of guys hanging around a convenience store drinking in the parking lot.. that sort of thing.

Notice that I am not advocating this, or agreeing with it, but it's a fact. It happened after Ferguson and will happen this time. The people that will suffer will be in poorer neighborhoods. It sucks, and I hate that it will happen for them.

I would not call in sick, or sit in the station. Still waiting for some contacts from APD to call me back and see what the real numbers were. Their bigger problem is that they are not getting anyone willing to come in from other jurisdictions to assist with mutual aid.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Nope. They now face overzealous prosecutors playing politics and local governments not supporting them. Maybe not a physical threat to their lives but a threat to their lives nevertheless.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
It definitely can destroy lives.

It almost destroyed mine...I was lucky. My wife did an intervention on 12FEB07 and I entered the Delta Air Lines HIMS program. Currently over 13 years sober...one day at a time. For what it’s worth, my alcoholism reached its peak when I was a Cincinnati Police Officer...stressful job for me...tons of fear.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What I am telling you is that police all over are making the decision to not stop the guy walking down the road at 0300 to see what he is doing, not pulling over the guy that drives by at 80 in a 55. A group of guys hanging around a convenience store drinking in the parking lot.. that sort of thing.
Why should they stop someone walking down the street? Unless they have a legitimate reason to suspect that individual has committed a crime, they shouldn't be stopping people randomly walking down the street. This is precisely what people are upset about.

We definitely need police to pull over DUIs and to stop people who are endangering others. What we don't need is police to pull over people for minor traffic infractions, or a broken turn signal as a premise to look for more serious crimes. Those things should be handled like speeding camera tickets. Those of you who espouse smaller government should be in favor of a philosophy of policing that involves less intrusion into your lives.

exNavyOffRec

I sometimes wonder if he'd been high instead of drunk, if this would have worked out the way it did.

Maybe, my buddy has responded to many accidents involving those who were high on MJ, high on other drugs, high on various drugs and drunk.

Just down the road from me a woman and like 5 kids was in a head on accident as she smoked a bunch of pot loaded the kids in the van, then fell asleep crossing over the center line, luckily everyone lived although there were serious injuries.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
...stressful job for me...
A) sorry to hear that, I'm glad you were about to reached out and get the help you needed, with the support of your wife and family and it's working for you!

The source of that stress---

Something that the Air Force RPA/UAV community has learned the hard way is that when you leave someone in a "deployed" status indefinitely they get really burned out- their stress levels go through the roof, and they have a really hard time dealing with any type of normal stressor.

They're trying to develop a "Combat to Dwell" policy where you can only be on the line for so long before you have to come off- and while you can extend your time on, it also extends your time off. Much like crew day/crew rest, but in terms of weeks and months instead of hours.

I wonder if that would help in the police communities? You spend X amount of time on the beat and then Y amount of time doing other things, not on the daily grind.

Last edited:

GroundPounder

Why should they stop someone walking down the street? Unless they have a legitimate reason to suspect that individual has committed a crime, they shouldn't be stopping people randomly walking down the street. This is precisely what people are upset about.

We definitely need police to pull over DUIs and to stop people who are endangering others. What we don't need is police to pull over people for minor traffic infractions, or a broken turn signal as a premise to look for more serious crimes. Those things should be handled like speeding camera tickets. Those of you who espouse smaller government should be in favor of a philosophy of policing that involves less intrusion into your lives.

I'm at fault for not being clear enough.

Not stopping people for minor traffic offenses, I'm fine with whatever the public comes up with, and will enforce that. If you don't want laws enforced, repeal them. As to pulling people over with tag lights out, rolling stops, etc..just to make a bigger case. Surprise, I totally agree that it's not necessary. When I was in patrol, I would not let my guys do it.

Here are some reasons from this week in my jurisdiction that you might want to stop some walking at 0300 in the morning:

1. The guy who walked away from his car that had no insurance and fake tags, and who was probably drunk. ( strong odor of alcohol from the corpse, we are waiting on toxicology.) He made it about 600 ft walking away from that broken down car, wearing all black sweatsuit before he was hit by one car, and then a second car after his body landed in the on coming lane of traffic. I wish one of our road units had been there to stop him and see if he needed HELP as he walked down the road. That's one stop I wish we had made, I'm sure his family and the two people who hit him wished he had of been stopped.

2. The guy who was walking through an apartment building complex with a huge back pack. An apartment complex that has had continual problems with this offense. We made contact, and asked him if he lived in the complex, and was he ok. He takes off, and throws the back pack, which we recovered. Over 20 cars had been entered in that lot, and several guns recovered. He is a convicted felon, and has served two short sentences for armed robbery. I'm sure that had it turned into a use of force issue it would fall under the heading of another person stopped for walking and minding his own business. On a side note, if people could stop leaving their cars unlocked with guns inside, that would be great.

I could go on, but you either get the picture or you don't.

Less intrusion into people's live by LE, I am in support of. Here are a few ways that we could start:

1. A person has a problem with their neighbor because they looked at them funny, don't cut their grass, cut it too early on Sunday, etc... They want something done, so they call 911. In most places, even though none of that is against the law, we get sent. Long conversations are had, much bitiching ensues as we explain we have no standing to get involved. We leave with another happy citizen who knows the law, knows what we should have done, and tells everyone till the end of time that we suck and did nothing. I'm fine with stopping that today.

2. Every call we get to " trouble with a business " The long took too long, the food was late, the tires that were advertised are not in stock, the cell phone contract is invalid, on and on I could go. Let's stop that too.

3. Someone is sick and needs an ambulance. We get sent to all of those, because, if you did not know, EMS won't go to scenes that are not safe. The scene magically becomes safe when we are there.

4. Mental illness and people in crisis. Every police will tell you that we are the worse possible solution to most people that are on the verge of committing suicide or suffering from some sort of dissociative break. Guess what; in 99% of the county, there are no mental health crisis teams to respond to those folks. We get that call, and get to deal with someone with issues, and in many cases are scared of us anyway. It turns out ok the majority of the time, but when it does not, in the court of public opinion that's just us taking every opportunity to shoot someone.

I could go on, but let me get to the topic of using deadly force. In my 30 years, 100% of the people that I have known that had to take a life suffered ill effects from the process. Some work through it, but some never get close to the life they had before. I would hope that no one slips through and gets into LE wants to shoot anyone. If they do, they need to get gone, they are not what we need.

I'll end with this, we as a whole suck at communicating with people and explaining what happened and why. In my example above, if backpack man was a resident and getting ready to ruck march for 3 hours prior to going to work, and he gets stopped he thinks it's because he is black, white, gay, trans, whatever. If we take 1 min, literally 1 min, to explain that there have been thefts in the area, and we know that in many cases offenders wear oversize backpacks to stash their goods, he walks away glad we are out there and feeling safer. We suck at that and need to improve, which would help solve some of the bigger issues we face.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How do you feel about stop and frisk as it was used in NYC? Interested in your insights.