• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shooting debrief discussion

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...I don't hear cops crying over body cams. You know why? It is because the vast majority are good cops who are not afraid of having their actions recorded. Knowing they are recorded who would purposely kill anyone out of policy or for racist reasons? Officers are not afraid of cameras because they know they are not racist and are confident that when they get in the shit, they will perform as expected and trained. Those that don't have likely just made an honest mistake, just like a surgeon. No one is proposing starting to prosecute doctors for mistakes.

My cousin who is a cop in VA says he loves his body cam, as it backs him up whenever he goes to court and refutes many a defendant's claims about what happened. Usually when the defendants find out he has body cam footage he can actually see them deflate a bit right then, a few though continue to deny reality and claim the footage isn't real.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Thanks everyone for keeping it to a good discussion and not a dogpile. I do appreciate it! Next round is on me.

So how do we change our litigious society that wants to legally blame someone when anything goes wrong?

Also- why are we so eager to project what someone may do and hold it against them? Is there a bias there?

And should history matter? This one is tough for me- I don't think that people should be treated differently today for things that they've already been held accountable for and served their sentence for. That's the whole, "equal protection under the law" and due process thing. But I also know that history can be a huge indicator of what may happen.

This also goes into things like, should an excon or felon have to admit that they are one on a job application or interview? I suppose it depends on the crime.

I also think that half of punishment is as a deterrent. I'm not sure that works as well as some may think it does- but I don't have any data to back that up.

Start at home where parents teach kids personal responsibility for their actions. It isn't always someone else's fault for your mistakes. Next we could move to the courts. Not a lawyer or a judge, but I have to imagine a judge can dismiss or throw out a case at any time.

taxi1

pilot
So how do we change our litigious society that wants to legally blame someone when anything goes wrong?
Fault-free insurance.

Let a different process take care of malfeasance.

I had an elderly relative go in for an endoscopy out-patient procedure. Had her duodenum nicked during. Came out of the hospital 11 months later lucky to be alive. Lots of talk about "suing the hell out of the hospital" but no lawyer would take the case. Basically, shit happens. Doctors are humans, and a small error gets compounded.

E6BFlightComp

From what I'm reading, I believe we should bring back DARE. Teach the Yungins once and for all that drunk driving can lead to death. Third time is the charm, right?

E6BFlightComp

ALSO, has anyone heard/read anything regarding the different police zones around Atlanta? Reports are stating that police are protesting the 11 charges placed on Officer Brosnan (in which the highest possible sentence involves capitol punishment). Their way of protesting? 6 zones around Atlanta involve mass walk-offs performed by officers, leaving their patrol cars and keys at the precinct.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news...harge-as-mayor-admits-morale-is-down-tenfold/

If anyone is close to, or has family in Georgia, stay safe and be careful.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
My cousin who is a cop in VA says he loves his body cam, as it backs him up whenever he goes to court and refutes many a defendant's claims about what happened. Usually when the defendants find out he has body cam footage he can actually see them deflate a bit right then, a few though continue to deny reality and claim the footage isn't real.
I wish we had body cams in the early 2000s when I was with the Cincinnati Police. Fortunately we had dash cams...and I had several back seat customers that would spout off [or do] all sorts of stupidville bullshit...like attempting to injure themselves by ramming their heads into the plexiglass partition...and then claiming that you beat them up while enroute to the justice center. Fortunately the dash cams could be covertly pivoted 180* to record all their back seat bullshit. I made it a habit of doing the “covert dash cam 180* pivot maneuver” whenever I had a back seat customer...and it saved me from a ton of woe.

Pictured below...mad dog demonstrating the “covert dash cam 180* pivot maneuver”...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because other threads have moved on, I will post this here. Not in keeping with the ROE set by @Swanee , but I am sure of interest.

This week SCOTUS refused to hear a case in the next term regarding qualified immunity. Justice Thomas dissented. If you saw the press conference by the Fulton County DA yesterday he gave a shout out to Thomas based on this opinion. Thomas' short history lesson was interesting. I didn't know section 1983, had it's roots in postbellum reconstruction.

Although I have mentioned it in another thread, thanks to the Fulton County DA commenting the way he did I feel compelled to once again point out, qualified immunity has nothing to do with criminal charges. In addition, if granted, it only provides immunity to the individual government employee. The city, county or state can still be sued. And since the government has all the money, not the police officer, fire fighter or highway engineer, there is still an avenue to recover in a civil suit. The richer one in fact. When the reporter asking the question plainly did not know what qualified immunity really was, what are the chances you will get a report that is true and factual? Perpetuating the myth cops can walk free based on qualified immunity is contributing to the emotion, frustration and violence.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
ALSO, has anyone heard/read anything regarding the different police zones around Atlanta? Reports are stating that police are protesting the 11 charges placed on Officer Brosnan (in which the highest possible sentence involves capitol punishment). Their way of protesting? 6 zones around Atlanta involve mass walk-offs performed by officers, leaving their patrol cars and keys at the precinct.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news...harge-as-mayor-admits-morale-is-down-tenfold/

If anyone is close to, or has family in Georgia, stay safe and be careful.
I saw this same thing posted on Social Media last night. Entire shifts resigning from list 3 zones around Atlanta.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I saw this same thing posted on Social Media last night. Entire shifts resigning from list 3 zones around Atlanta.

Sounds reliable! Seriously, it looks like some police are doing a work slowdown or calling out sick and not resigning en masse.

While one can quibble with whether the charges are appropriate, I am uncertain they are at this point but that is why we have a justice system, I have a very serious problem with police deliberately not doing their jobs because they are unhappy with the situation. They all took an oath to serve the public, not themselves or just their fellow officers, they should act like the public servants they signed up to be.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Sounds reliable! Seriously, it looks like some police are doing a work slowdown or calling out sick and not resigning en masse.

While one can quibble with whether the charges are appropriate, I am uncertain they are at this point but that is why we have a justice system, I have a very serious problem with police deliberately not doing their jobs because they are unhappy with the situation. They all took an oath to serve the public, not themselves or just their fellow officers, they should act like the public servants they signed up to be.
I have no problem at all with police walking off the job. How did we feel about the T-45 OBOGS situation?

GroundPounder

I agree with you, to the extent that we are in a position that I think should be strike/work slow down free. However, to get charged with murder before the investigation is completed, has to put those guys in the mindset that if anything goes wrong, they are getting fired and being charged criminally. APD might go 6 months without another use of deadly force, and they might be shooting one as I type this, the guys on the street are now being asked to put more on the line than ever before.

I don't know all the ins and outs or your FENAB system, but consider if you would want to go fly today if you thought you would have your wings pulled, and facing UCMJ charges 12 hours after being involved in a class A event. Would you think twice about jumping in if you had the choice?

But for the record, I would not have called out if I were working under the reign of the DA involved. What will, and is happening, is that police everywhere are slowing way down in the proactive work that they do.

Ultimately, this will have the most negative effect on poorer communities. That sucks.