• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service member being an idiot

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IMO, retired dudes really have no business correcting anybody. If you're AD (and senior), game on. I never liked the idea of a Chief (or SNCO) "correcting" officers (particularly when it's done for sport). It's a polite suggestion, then it's on your way.

Flugelman

Contributor
There is rarely, if ever, an occasion for a Chief to publicly "Correct" even the lowliest Ensign. However, a private, friendly reminder out of view of the sailors will sometimes suffice. If said Ensign is not open to that, his actions will eventually come back to bite him in the ass.

As for anyone "Hanging Out" to catch someone in a uniform violation, that is asinine and a waste of everyone's time. The errant sailor's CoC should be taking up that slack.

exNavyOffRec

IMO, retired dudes really have no business correcting anybody. If you're AD (and senior), game on. I never liked the idea of a Chief (or SNCO) "correcting" officers (particularly when it's done for sport). It's a polite suggestion, then it's on your way.

I have on a few occasions corrected officers from O-1 to O-4, in general it was for simple things, but it was always done quietly, such as "hey LT, you put your ribbons and warfare device on the wrong sides", I always received a "Thanks Chief" or "Thanks".

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have on a few occasions corrected officers from O-1 to O-4, in general it was for simple things, but it was always done quietly, such as "hey LT, you put your ribbons and warfare device on the wrong sides", I always received a "Thanks Chief" or "Thanks".
That's totally legit. I'm talking about the Chief who parks himself outside the NEX and trolls for officer flight suit "violations." I'm not sure why CMCs aren't on top of that shit, but they ought to be. I think that somewhere along the "CPOs train their JOs" line of thinking, some CPOs take that as open season on officers writ large. At the same time, I don't want to trivialize how important the relationship between the Officers and CPOs is. Bottom line, it's a two way street and sniping at each other doesn't bode well for any command.

exNavyOffRec

That's totally legit. I'm talking about the Chief who parks himself outside the NEX and trolls for officer flight suit "violations." I'm not sure why CMCs aren't on top of that shit, but they ought to be. I think that somewhere along the "CPOs train their JOs" line of thinking, some CPOs take that as open season on officers writ large. At the same time, I don't want to trivialize how important the relationship between the Officers and CPOs is. Bottom line, it's a two way street and sniping at each other doesn't bode well for any command.

I view the CPO parking himself outside the NEX as someone who wants to exert power, and somewhere because he is sitting outside the NEX there is some junior sailor that not being taken care of

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I have to say, in my years in the Navy, I have never met this mythical Chief that sits outside of the NEX. Does he really exist?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have to say, in my years in the Navy, I have never met this mythical Chief that sits outside of the NEX. Does he really exist?
He does... but he never seems to fuck with your truly, and that's a shame. :D

Flugelman

Contributor

We had them at NATTC Millington back in the day. We called them "Bush Chiefs" because they would actually hide in the bushes trying to catch sailors goofing off between the barracks and classrooms.

TolgaK

PRO REC SNA!
Along the theme of entitlement: At the hotel, the night before my MEPS screening, another recruit came down from her room and raised her voice at the woman checking us in.

"I... have a roommate! I am an OFFICER... CANDIDATE. I should NOT have a roommate."

She got a verbal 'hoopin' in return and was dismissed. It clearly wasn't taken gracefully - she scoffed and stormed out.

Will I have to deal with too many people like this when I get in? Being under one's command doesn't seem pleasant. Correcting that behavior would get tedious.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Along the theme of entitlement: At the hotel, the night before my MEPS screening, another recruit came down from her room and raised her voice at the woman checking us in.

"I... have a roommate! I am an OFFICER... CANDIDATE. I should NOT have a roommate."

She got a verbal 'hoopin' in return and was dismissed. It clearly wasn't taken gracefully - she scoffed and stormed out.

Will I have to deal with too many people like this when I get in? Being under one's command doesn't seem pleasant. Correcting that behavior would get tedious.
You won't. Those people are few and far between, and usually mocked by all.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Will I have to deal with too many people like this when I get in?
In a word... NO! When it does happen (infrequently), his/her ticket will get punched 'post haste'. Concentrate on your task at hand...step by step.;)
BzB

HuggyU2

None
Yes! Your problem is you need to do an inter-service transfer to the USAF, and then deploy to Bagram or Kandahar. You'll see plenty of them once you do.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes! Your problem is you need to do an inter-service transfer to the USAF, and then deploy to Bagram or Kandahar. You'll see plenty of them once you do.

Or just do a tour with the Army.......anywhere.

snake020

Contributor

I just had a flashback to the SNCO disco belt nazis at the Deid in '07. What a clown show.