• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service member being an idiot

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Did I miss something? When the fuck did we try to ban tobacco?
There were, on occassion, some sub COs who tried to ban smoking on their boats underway because they didn't want to smell that shit through their whole boat. They were pee-pee smacked harshly for giving an unlawful order. Fast forward and now it's universally not allowed to smoke inside the hull of a submarine, but since it was given by an ADM and not by a CDR now it's a lawful order.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Did I miss something? When the fuck did we try to ban tobacco?

On the TR in 95 you could not buy chewing tobacco, but they had cigarettes. The Hue City (BATGRU CG) did not sell cigarettes but sold chewing tobacco.

The AW's got rich running one tobacco item to another over the course of a deployment.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
So the DoN hasn't outright said "no tobacco?" I was always under the impression that when out on the boat, skippers could pretty much have free reign on the "welfare" of the crew.

If the USMC banned tobacco from use, productivity would drop, ARIs would increase and stock would fall in most if not all of the major tobacco companies nationwide. TBS would probably see an increase in DORs.

LET73

Deployment rules are different. Commanders have a lot more leeway with what is necessary to accomplish the mission. A commander INCONUS cannot ban alcohol.
...So when I was doing my pre-deployment training at Ft. Jackson, SC, before I went to Afghanistan, it was an unlawful order when they said we weren't allowed to drink any alcohol while on liberty?

As far as MJ, I think DoD will eventually allow it, with certain conditions. I'm not saying it will happen during my career. Until then, hey, it's illegal, and I've got no problem with someone who decides to smoke pot getting an OTH.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So the DoN hasn't outright said "no tobacco?" I was always under the impression that when out on the boat, skippers could pretty much have free reign on the "welfare" of the crew.

If the USMC banned tobacco from use, productivity would drop, ARIs would increase and stock would fall in most if not all of the major tobacco companies nationwide. TBS would probably see an increase in DORs.

And the little exchange on Camp Barrett would go out of business.

I don't think they kept dip on the shelves for more than a couple hours. There was always a truck full of the stuff at the loading dock behind the store.

snake020

Contributor
Getting back to the original post:

A retired USN CDR wrote this on Time.com, ending with this suggestion for a better solution:
But perhaps a better overseas screening process, more thorough cultural awareness programs, and intensified rights and responsibilities training should be utilized before mass punishment…and, of course, it goes without saying that the criminals, once convicted, should be made examples of and be punished to the full extent of the law.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I was almost a full paragraph into that before I realized it was Onionesque.

DuffelBlog strikes again!!

For max amusement be sure to read the comments at the bottom of the article (either on their website or on their facebook page if you use that). It took you less than a paragraph to realize it was satire- if that was an IQ test then you passed with an above average score. A lot of people make it through entire articles without cluing in :p