• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service member being an idiot

The "mythical" CPO that lurks in the bushes is way more prevalent at training commands where junior sailors are everywhere. At those commands, that can be the chief's job, or even duty. In Great Lakes (non-recruit side) there are watches where chiefs stand around in the bar on base to make sure no one tries to drink underage (people still try and get caught on a regular basis). Places like that start the mentality of always being on the lookout for people to fix, and sometimes they go overboard.

I'm guessing at non-training commands, they either bring that attitude with them, or it just rubs off from other chiefs that have been in that situation.

angry-navy-chief-coffee-mug-suzanne-frie.jpg

BackOrdered

Contributor
The "mythical" CPO that lurks in the bushes made random appearances all over the Tidewater area when I was stationed there, including the many retirees in that area I refer to as the "Stealth" mythical CPO.

One time I was in the bank line in NWUs and a Master Cheif was literally ON FIRE with making corrections. No one was spared. He even stopped me for something trite, can't remember off hand why. I saw the "cookie" and rather than cock an attitude I struck up a friendly conversation. Some Verbal Judo (A good book if you haven't read it). Turned out he was CMC for some Admiral, not sure who but he could definately reach out and touch you. Has anyone thought to try that? Just reverse their objective onto them in a friendly manner? You'll be surprised.

Renegade One

None
I have on a few occasions corrected officers from O-1 to O-4, in general it was for simple things, but it was always done quietly, such as "hey LT, you put your ribbons and warfare device on the wrong sides", I always received a "Thanks Chief" or "Thanks".
Hey...they looked right in the mirror!

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The "mythical" CPO that lurks in the bushes made random appearances all over the Tidewater area when I was stationed there, including the many retirees in that area I refer to as the "Stealth" mythical CPO.

Chiefs are nowhere near as bad as 'retired Admirals' for correcting folks for uniform issues!

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Tell me a story to back this up.

I'm at an ATM machine in Coronado getting money and wearing my flight suit in 99. A retired Admiral stops his car, walks up to me and after introducing himself, begins to explain to me why I'm setting a poor example as a Naval Officer by flagrantly flaunting the rules and wearing my flight suit off base.

I then have to explain to the Admiral that the rules for flight suit wear have undergone many changes over the years and that the flight suit rules now allow short duration stops out of vehicles. Hitting an ATM machine is a short duration stop.

He did not fully believe me and asked what command I was with and who my CO was. I provided him that info.

About a month before, my CO actually told us during an AOM that we should keep a copy of the NAVADMIN in our pocket because there were numerous retired Admirals on Coronado who would pounce on the unsuspecting JO about flight suits being worn off base. I wish I had actually had the NAVADMIN because I would have loved to have whipped it out and seen what he would have done.

If my CO actually put out that we should carry a NAVADMIN with us, then obviously there is a problem; at least on Coronado.

exNavyOffRec

Hey...they looked right in the mirror!

I had a SCPO say something similar once, I was sitting across the table from him when I was a PO1 and I kept looking at my uniform then his, finally he said "what are you looking at?", I pointed at his ribbons and he loudly said "SHIT!, I knew they shouldn't like right in the mirror" which promptly drew attention to him and drew the laughs of the other CPO's in the meeting, he had a good sense of humor though.

HuggyU2

None
... numerous retired Admirals on Coronado who would pounce...
I go to Coronado all the time,... and wear my flightsuit out to breakfast on Orange Ave before we fly out in the morning.
I cannot wait until I get to experience this event!! I need to start prepping for my witty comebacks to the Admirals inquiries!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, sounds like you're coming (back) to the Dark Side. :)
You (and others) have placed me into a box based on your perception of issues we've discussed here. I'm probably a little more rangey than you give me credit for. :D
We may disagree on career paths and what it takes to get to the top of the proverbial hill, but retired idiots going out of their way to hassle AD folks should be uniformly taken to task. When I'm retired and tending to my precious grapevines in my beloved state of Oregon, the last thing on my mind will be what some JO is doing with their fight suit. The very notion that there are people who care about this kind of thing needs to be agressively addressed. Retired? Think you have an opinon? Shut the fuck up. I will happily crush any retired asshole, regardless of previous rank who interjects their opinion about uniforms or whatever with me or my people. It's a ridiculous notion that nobody should tollerate.