• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service member being an idiot

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
For nothing other than...

1. They served for more years than you have.
2. You're not familiar with the experiences than made them who they are.
3. Respect for age comes with the good and bad. Their wisdom is present ...somewhere.

Not criticizing- just saying.

Every time that I observe the older types showing deference to their "much" older types I feel that I'm observing a good lesson in life.
CAM, I don't think anyone is advocating being nasty to retired people just because. Brett and others are saying that if a retired servicemember decides to assert the authority he used to (but now no longer) have and dress down an AD servicemember about something stupid, the AD servicemember should walk away from the situation.

CAMike

None
Contributor
All of this makes it okay a retiree to harass an AD guy about trivial shit?

No, it doesn't.

The "Frank Burns" types of the world will always exist, Sometimes older folks say things not knowing the latest facts about "MIL subject x". Cut 'em some slack. They may be old and grumpy but that doesn't mean you should tell them to pack sand just because you can.

Spekkio:
CAM, I don't think anyone is advocating being nasty to retired people just because. Brett and others are saying that if a retired servicemember decides to assert the authority he used to (but now no longer) have and dress down an AD servicemember about something stupid, the AD servicemember should walk away from the situation.

Agreed. A retired person typically has about zero authority to dress down an AD type. IF they do that...just keep in mind that Admiral or whoever, likely believes that they're "doing the right thing". All I'm saying is don't humiliate them because you are technically correct. I assure you, you'll feel like a better person afterwards.

phrogpilot73

Sometimes older folks say things not knowing the latest facts about "MIL subject x". Cut 'em some slack. They may be old and grumpy but that doesn't mean you should tell them to pack sand just because you can.
But they can tell me to pack sand because they THINK they can? Whatever.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It looks like someone is taking class warfare against retired assholes (and, I suppose, AD senior enlisted-types) to a whole new level.

My first reaction when I saw the statue of the Sailor in DC: "where's the out of BCA standards Chief driving by in a car in a rainstorm telling him to get his hands out of his pockets?"

HuggyU2

None
Trivial stuff? No. Even as an active duty officer, I try to "keep it real", and pick my battles.
However, once I retire, if I come across serious breeches of conduct, I'll address it.
If I do address it, you can bet it's more than someone's hands in their pockets.

And if pertains to you and/or your people, and you want to "crush me" for it:
1. Maybe you should have addressed it.
2. Bring it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Trivial stuff? No. Even as an active duty officer, I try to "keep it real", and pick my battles.
However, once I retire, if I come across serious breeches of conduct, I'll address it.
If I do address it, you can bet it's more than someone's hands in their pockets.

And if pertains to you and/or your people, and you want to "crush me" for it:
1. Maybe you should have addressed it.
2. Bring it.

How about this: I'll buy that A-6E NATOPS off of you, then crush you with it. :D

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
However, once I retire, if I come across serious breeches of conduct...

I've seen some pretty serious ones in my day...Check this wayward sailor out.

41vPrXWWQBL.jpg