• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sequester

pcminer7

Good Morning.

I am currently an upperclassman Naval ROTC student. I have one year left before I commission, and have heard a lot of talk but not very much substantive information about how the sequester will affect those of us already in the NROTC program. Does anyone have any gouge that relates to the sequester? Will the Navy be forced to close some of the units in order to meet budget demands? Will this have an effect upon the number of Aviators selected out of next year's graduating class?

P3 F0

None
Seriously, dude--don't worry about sequestering. You can't control it and don't want to take any sort of action until you hear from your CO. Period. Don't trust the rumor mill. No knows at this point what the ramifications will be and how deep the cuts will go--all the DoN knows right now is how much it has to cut, and roughly where it's best to make those cuts. Low-hanging fruit like furloughing and base facilities are easy and quick, so may be/are being implemented. Bigger things like closing NROTC units may or may not happen.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's not what I heard. The Midn will be used as slave labor to help offset costs. No more summer cruises....
I thought that's what summer cruise was for already?
"Midshipman Jones. You will reporting to the Admiral Kuznetsov-class aircraft carrier Liaoning in Dalian, China for your summer cruise. Good luck, we are all counting on you to help drive down the national debt." :D

P3 F0

None
Well, now you're just begging for another alcohol-related liberty incident with immediate knee-jerk reaction from PACOM...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
No one KNOWS what is going to happen. There's lots of spinning and people answering tasters, but there has been no formal guidance to do anything (except don't spend any money).
Like others said, don't worry about the things you have no control over.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Not related to USNA, but here is how it is affecting the National Guard...so far:

AT was moved from off site to now be on site. While much easier on the soldiers, it does not exercise the deployability of our units near as well as actually packing up and moving operations to another location,. This type of deployment is quite different for a state mission than it is for OCONUS mobilization. Sequestration will negative affect this type of training.

Flight hours have been cut 50% for the rest of the FY. Staff aviators will fly only for currency (ie once every 90 days). Junior aviators who need the experience will get enough to get their minimums. Senior aviators, who can afford to not fly as often will get something in between. No mission specific training will take place. Only progression and basic tasks.

When the furloughs take place, our full time technician dual force (I am one of them) will be forced to work a four day work week and take a 20% cut in pay until the sequester ends. We are dual status, meaning we are required to be a member of the local Army National Guard unit as a condition of our employment. We ALL get paid less money as a technician than we would as an active duty soldier at our current rank. The country is already getting us for a bargain. For some, this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Some won't be able to afford the cut. We may lose some of those who have skills marketable outside the guard. At a minimum, it is a huge moral squasher.

Our maintenance parts budget was cut back in October to 1/2 what it was last year, Last year we had only 6 HH-60Ms and half a year to spend it. This year, we have 6 HH-60Ms and 6 CH-47Ds with half the money. We are almost broke for parts with 6 months to go. The nyumber of write ups on our books has probably doubled.
Contracting money in many places has been cut off. With two aircraft still in reset, subcontractors cannot finish subcomponents for the reset facility. We fear having our unfinished aircraft unwillingly held hostage by the reset facility.

Every day now we are hearing more bad news. I understand that some (most?) of the American people want to cut the military, and particularly military civilians. After all, we are a bunch of lazy, overpaid government employees with no skills. We create bureaucracy and live off the teat of the industrial military complex.
But here is my preemptive "I told you so." This summer when hurricane season comes, and we don't have enough proficient crews or aircraft to man even 1/2 of our aircraft for a hurricane relief mission, heads are going to roll. But far worse than that is the fact that people in our state or neighboring states may suffer due to the loss of readiness of the National Guard.

Before Iraq was closed down, 60% of the OCONUS deployed forces were reserve or national guard. Active duty units will have to take up the slack as our predeployment training is extended to catch us up to where we were before. For you guys in the Navy, that will probably mean more IAs.

I have heard Hannity and Rush say the sequester is just a scare tactic. While it may be a scare tactic, it is not JUST a scare tactic. I am telling you, there is a very real danger and reality to what is happening. We will get through it. We are soldiers, but dismissing this as inconsequential is disingenuous.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Yes, but the boat needs work, and a 20% cut puts boat upgrades on hold. Not to mention being in Arizona for Army training during the Mug Race this year. Depressing.

phrogpilot73

I have heard Hannity and Rush say the sequester is just a scare tactic. While it may be a scare tactic, it is not JUST a scare tactic. I am telling you, there is a very real danger and reality to what is happening. We will get through it. We are soldiers, but dismissing this as inconsequential is disingenuous.
Most of those cuts (which is what we are seeing in our reserve unit, and my civilian job) are not actually due to the sequester. It's the services trying to lean forward for the double-whammy of sequester + expiration of the CR that happens on March 27th. On top of that - when you really dig even deeper, the "cuts" are just reductions in increase of spending. The Pentagon has resisted their spending being audited. These draconian cuts wouldn't be so draconian if they actually audited their budget and figured out WHERE to cut stuff. Which they haven't done.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Yes, but the boat needs work, and a 20% cut puts boat upgrades on hold. Not to mention being in Arizona for Army training during the Mug Race this year. Depressing.
You could always go back to computer programming from a cubicle... Or you could move here, where sailing is at least 2 hours away... Or just run for President, I heard that even with sequester, his travel budget hasn't been cut!?!

P3 F0

None
It's the services trying to lean forward for the double-whammy of sequester + expiration of the CR that happens on March 27th. On top of that - when you really dig even deeper, the "cuts" are just reductions in increase of spending.
Exactly. We're essentially getting on glideslope for now and upcoming FY budgets. I don't think anyone is dismissing anything as being inconsequential, just acknowledging that there's nothing we can do at our level to affect where the cuts hit.

I'm surprised the NG is being hit with a reduction (?) in AT. I know at CNRFC there is no immediate reduction in Reserve spending, but I'm guessing future budgets could see a reduction in discretionary Reserve spending like ADT. And if CNRFC is smart, they'll squash split AT. And who knows, like the NG, maybe move to more local AT.

Renegade One

None
220px-Keep-calm-and-carry-on-scan.jpg