• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scale model fans...questions and showcase of work

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
Is the flightdeck display a kit or did you scratch build it? I'm looking for something similar for my 213 before I give it to my friend.

The flight deck appears to be Verlindens 1/72 resin flight deck kit. If I were you, with your skill, I would scratch build a flight deck out of a wooden board. Just look at some pictures, it would be pretty easy to do IMO. When I free up some time/ money I am going to make my own deck diorama. MUCH cheaper than a kit too, those go for well over $50 on ebay. I've seen some go for close to $200!

navyao

Citation3,

Thanks for the reply...Yea the flight deck is the Verlinden kit. I bought it several years ago for $30.00. If you've got the time and patience, by all means make one. For 30 bones though it was a great buy and I've used it over and over again.

Thanks for your gouge on the Rhino. You know, I was going to buy the Revell, you're not the first guy to say the kits good to go. I went on FSM's forum and asked around there and everyone kept saying the Hasegawa kit. I bought the True Details F mod resin cockpit for it too. Like I said in my reply to your post though I want to make it a Lot 30 a/c.

I think True Details makes tie down chains. If you buy the flight deck or make something it would be a cool add-on for your buddies model, just a thought. I'm looking for different burner cans for mine. If you've got any ideas where I can find them, let me know.

Take care,

Citation3

SJU-17 NACES Ejection seat F-18F vs. F-14D..are they the same??

Before I came here I really tried to find this out. If one of you could straighten this out for me I would really appreciate it if it does not stray into some top secret information.

I believe the SJU-17 NACES ejection seat is same seat used in both the F-18F and retired F-14D? If is is is there a different variation used for each aircraft?

I see that when it is used on the F-14D the seat appears to have what I call little rabbit ears protruding from the headrest and they do not appear so dramitically on the seat used in the F-18F. Also, the little ears are much taller on the pilots seat in the F-14D vs. the RIO's seat. What is the reason for the change in height? Is it used to protect the pilot and headrest from possible hitting the canopy upon ejection?

Again, sorry that my poor research skills couldn't reveal the answer, but any help clarifying it for me would be greatly appreciated if possible.

Regards.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
The SJU-17 NACES is the seat used in the Rhino. I can't speak for the Tomcats.

rowharder

The F-14 used the SJU-17v-3/A and SJU-17v-4/A whereas the F/A-18F uses either a combo of SJU-17(V)2/A and SJU-17(V)9/A or SJU-17A(V)9/A and SJU-17A(V)2/A or SJU-17B(V)2/A and SJU-1B(V)9/A.

In a nutshell, same seat, different variations to incorporate proper fit and features of the destination airframe.

As for the 'rabbit ears', these are your canopy breakers in the unfortunate event that the canopy jettison process fails. The size of these breakers is different on each seat to compensate for the distance between the mounted normal height in the aircraft to the distance to the canopy.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As for the 'rabbit ears', these are your canopy breakers in the unfortunate event that the canopy jettison process fails...

Wonderful, so Goose did not die in vain.

What is this, like the ejection seat equivalent of trainspotting? (the hobby, not the movie)

Citation3

Thanks so much..

Thanks for the information. My thought was the rabbit ears had something to do with the distance to the canopy during ejection.

Again, thanks for your time and information.

Citation3

Any Tomcat modeling fans here?? Thoughts or opinions??

I just tried my hand at building my first Hasegawa Tomact. I finally had to break out of the Super Hornet rut.

Anyway, this is the F-14B VF-101 bird. I would really be interested in your thougths or opinions. Please point out any inaccuracies you may see so I can correct them on future builds. No offense will be taken.

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3013.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
nice looking model. good work.

edit: aren't all 00 birds the CAG bird, and would therefore be decked out in squadron colors?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nice looking model. good work.

edit: aren't all 00 birds the CAG bird, and would therefore be decked out in squadron colors?

VF-101 wa sthe RAG (FRS) so it did not have a CAG. RAGs put their Commodore's name on their 00 aircraft. Whether they paint it up in airshow colors is up to CO (unless CAG/Commodore insists!).

Pags

N/A
pilot
Be honest..that's not a model...you have some sort of shrink ray that you used to shrink an actual jet.

You should make a helicopter.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Eh. . .the lack of huge puddles of various fluids under the fuselage sorta gives it away as a model. . .:D

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
what's that saying i hear from the maintainers every time i point at a huge puddle of something flammable/caustic/carcinogenic right as we're about to go fly?

"oh its fine, if it isn't leaking something it's low on something"