• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scale model fans...questions and showcase of work

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Unbelievable models.....kind of an unusual F-14 loadout with paveways and phoenix, though.

B

Blutonski816

Unbelievable models.....kind of an unusual F-14 loadout with paveways and phoenix, though.

IIRC from my sources the 1 Phoenix Plus bombs loadout wasn't too unusual at the beginning of OEF and OIF...

I'm sure Heyjoe or Schnugg could chime in on the subject...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Much the same as you I've kept them. Years ago the one hobby shop in Oak Harbor (Ted's maybe?) went out of business and I bought the classics Hasagawa 1/72 stuff for $3 each. I also was a regular customer of AvUsk in Usk Wa so I have my share of post WW-1 vacuforms waiting to do something with.
Yeah ... a vacuform, compressor, airbrush, and good quality brushes and paints used to be my stock in trade ... at least if one wanted to do a "quality" job on the respective kit.

I think the name of the former OH hobby shop was "Ted's" ... right next to Wind & Tide .... I can't really remember the name, but that sounds right. They are out of business now in any case; I went to school w/ his kid, last name of "P***iam". If I remember correctly, "Ted" was a retired Navy O-6 Supply Corps type ... :)

gaetabob

pilot
I paid a fraction of what they are now worth -- I can't believe how some of the scale kits have gone through the roof, price-wise.

I was talking with the owners of a hobby shop recently about the prices of aircraft models now, and they said a lot of it had to do with the manufactures (ie Boeing, Lockheed, etc) demanding royalties for likeness rights, or something along those lines; therefore, the model companies had to pass on costs to the consumer... I don't know how much truth there is to that. It could also be the costs of crude which is used to make plastics...or maybe just greedy corporate execs trying to take the hard earned money from honest hard-working ten year olds...

Regardless, A4's, you should take a look at Ebay and see what some models out there are going for in biding, especially for discontinued kits of popular aircraft. If your collection of like-new kits is as good as you say...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I was talking with the owners of a hobby shop recently about the prices of aircraft models now, and they said a lot of it had to do with the manufactures (ie Boeing, Lockheed, etc) demanding royalties for likeness rights, or something along those lines; therefore, the model companies had to pass on costs to the consumer...

That could be part of it -- although I think the model companies are feeling the "pinch" like every other sector. I know some of it used to have a lot to do w/ the "confusion" over exchange rates .... plus I think the shop owners and manufacturers have figured that model "addicts" will pay virtually anything to support their "habit". Kinda like gun-guys and auto-enthusiasts ... :)

For example: most hobby shops in my model buying experience saw the "yen" price on the end of the Japanese model box and immediately figured that was good-to-go for a straight dollar conversion. I.e.,
¥300 = $ 3.00 USD in the mind of the store owner ....... good deal for somebody, yea-as ??? :icon_wink

When I started buying in Japan (while still on active duty) the conversion rate was @
¥365 = $1.00 USD ..... so buying in Japan --- oh, Momma !!! :D

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Now I've seen it all! Who'd a thunk that A4s was a modeler? I'll come out of the closet too. I've got about 200 or so kits sitting between my closets and paid storage. I did stop buying models (collector's disease) around '03 when I lost my workbench to the wife's ever growing furniture collection. You know the drill, PCS to a house with separate dining room and kitchen nook, and family room and living room... then get shoe horned into a house with just a living room and a kitchen dining room. Furniture's got to go somewhere, and the husband's hobbies get shuffled to the back.

Those of you that laugh, go right ahead. I made a pretty penny back in the day making models for squadron members and going aways... it's about a $1K+ a year in supplemental income ;)

Then there was the cigar craze of the early '90s and my cash windfall cranking out koa wood humidors while stationed in Hawaii :)

www.aircraftresourcecenter.com and www.hlj.com are on my daily read list right next to air warriors.

TopShot

BDCP SNA
I've built a 1:48 F18 and F16 and a 1:72 A10. Unfortunately none of them lived longer than 3 or 4 months, between moving and careless visitors they all got busted up. So I decided to switch over to RC aircraft and have been much happier :D

navyao

VFA-211 Bubba's

Any VFA-211 guys/gals in here? I need a question answered if someone could help me out with it. I was at Oceana for the air show last weekend and had a blast! The Rhino's no Turkey but I'm adjusting and starting to 'dig' it more and more everytime I see them fly.

Since leaving the Nav and returning to 'sillyvilian' life I now live vicariously through all of you on this web sight, my flight simulator and building models. I get pretty into the level of detail in my models and accuracy is important. I bought a Rhino and some add-on stuff like a resin cockpit with lots of detail. I want to use decals from VFA-211 which I also bought. My question is, what lot Super Hornet are the Checkmates flying. I noticed during the TAC Demo one crew had JHMCS and the other did not. I remember reading 211 had older lot Rhinos.

I would've just asked the guys from 211 selling patches and shirts @ the show but I hate asking questions, I feel like a geek doing that. I get idiots all the time coming up to me and asking questions and I hate it when they walk up to me when I'm sitting in my squad so I didn't want to do that.

So, if someone knows and doesn't mind helping me out I'd really appreciate it.

Tom

Renegade One

None
Can you tell from the BuNo on the VFA-211 decal sheet? And then doing a cross reference? What would the external differences be that would show on a scale model? Just curious...

navyao

First of all, I gotta say, "Spike," a legend at Miramar when I was a mere Airman replied to my message, wow! Anyway, great question about BuNo's on the decals. I could do that. Most of the guys out there creating decals for scale models now are very attention to detail oriented so I know I'm getting accurate stuff.

I knew I bought an aftermarket resin cockpit for the lot 30 Rhino and the decals I have are for the earlier mods, I think 211's first and second cruise with the Rhino. A Checkmate IM'd me tonight and told me they just upgraded after cruise and they're flying lot 30's. I'll improvise on the BuNo.