• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scale model fans...questions and showcase of work

navyao

"Single-Seat,"

Are those the round tube-like things that stick upwards at about 45 degrees?

Citation3

F/A-18F Drivers here to help w/an AIM 9X Tech Question??

Are the new AIM-9X's standard on all F/A-18F's now or do you still carry the old type as well?

Would a current loadout for operations in Iraq or Afganistan include 1 or 2 on the wingtips?

If the only the newer ones are used now what had been done with any old stock just out of curiosity? Are they used for practice?

Sorry for the inept question but I'm building a Super Honet F model for a friend deployed with VFA-213 and I want to make sure I have it accuratly loaded out. I belive my kit has the older version on the AIM-9X.

Citation3

Super Hornet scale model fans...Your thoughts?

I don't have much to share here but I thought there may be some Hornet modelers here.

I build this model for a friend that is currently flying this exact jet with VFA-213. I will give it to him upon his retun to show him my appreciation for his service.

It is missing the GBU-12 on the starboard outer pylon that will arrive this week. It is set up as it is being flown today.

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_27022.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

FLY_USMC

pilot
Very Very nice! I've always loved building models but unforutunately my last 2 duty stations haven't had any model shops within a reasonable distance so I've been relegated to put the couple I was wanting to build on hold for now. The panel lines and rivets look awesome, you must have taken some time on them, nice work!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks great. I like the smudges on the fuel tank caps.

You may also want to try ordie writing near the arming indicators below the cockpit.

"600 rds HEI" or similar...check out images at www.news.navy.mil for some ideas.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Yeah that's a good idea, and if you could replicate a couple greasy handprints where you wipe the crap you just got on your hand back onto the jet, we'd really respect your work!<-----I'm being serious.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Wow that's is spectacular stuff. I've tried modeling before but nothing like that. How many hours did you put into that?

Citation3

Thanks for the words...

Just curious from any F Hornet drivers. In the rear on the A/C between the vertical stabs there are two small ports that have a brownish/black stream running to the rear if you see them. I have seen this is pictures and tried to replicate it. What is it and is the color correct? Is it oil? Also, on the port side just rear of the anti-skid area there is a vent that my friend that flies the C model was not sure of. Would it vent anything that would accumulate or be seen on the fuselage? Last question....would this model have the heat blankets on the top of the fusalage between the stabs?

This took about 2 weeks to build on and off.

Thanks.

NYCJetCharter

only two weeks?

That's a great looking job with the details you included. I'm rather amazed that it only took two weeks and only "off and on". I try to get mine realistically detailed too but it takes me more time than you.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
In the rear on the A/C between the vertical stabs there are two small ports that have a brownish/black stream running to the rear if you see them. I have seen this is pictures and tried to replicate it. What is it and is the color correct?

They are the ECS ram air exhausts. The color is exactly how you describe it.

Also, on the port side just rear of the anti-skid area there is a vent that my friend that flies the C model was not sure of. Would it vent anything that would accumulate or be seen on the fuselage?

Those are the vent for the fuel/air heat exchanger. I've never seen any color/dirt buildup there.

Last question....would this model have the heat blankets on the top of the fusalage between the stabs?

?

Citation3

Alabama Matt...Thank you.

I will have to research the black/gray markings in this area. I thought I have heard them refered to as heat blankets. They almost look like they are possibly anti-skid walk ways. I can't seem to find a picture of what I'm seeing.

I appreciate your time answering my questions.