• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

?'s about Primary and Pipeline

I had to be one of the guinea pigs for the "new" ASTB while in P'Cola. I remember having to answer personality questions like: "Select which phrase better describes you: I never wear my seat belt while driving // I am frequently disrespectful in the workplace."

Also I think that most people don't get much out of IFS. I knew some lazy jerks that made it through that part just to DOR in the beginning of primary.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I'm guessing that it would take a series of independent major $$$ studies, over several years (vice a PG Masters Thesis), before the Navy would abandon a 'pet' program.:rolleyes:
BzB

True - guess a thesis wouldn't cause a ripple in the Big Navy pond.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I had to be one of the guinea pigs for the "new" ASTB while in P'Cola. I remember having to answer personality questions like: "Select which phrase better describes you: I never wear my seat belt while driving // I am frequently disrespectful in the workplace."

They give out the similar (same?) one to new aviation COs, probably as another guinea pig group. I think the term for this kind of test is "negative bias," but regardless of the term it's when all of the possible answers suck and you're supposed to pick which one you think sucks the least. I have no idea if "they" (NAMI? NAMRL? NA???) found any meaningful correlation with the results. :eek:

KBayDog

I think the term for this kind of test is "the Marine Corps," but regardless of the term it's when all of the possible answers suck and you're supposed to pick which one you think sucks the least.

FIFY

Disclaimer: 1) a renunciation of any claim to or connection with; 2)a disavowal; 3) a statement made to save one's own ass.

Though it'll go without saying ten minutes or so into these proceedings, [KBayDog] would like to state that this [post] is- from start to finish- a work of comedic fantasy, not to be taken seriously. To insist that any of what follows is incendiary or inflammatory is to miss our intention and pass undue judgment; and passing judgment is reserved for God and God alone (this goes for you [moderators] too... just kidding).

So please - before you think about hurting someone over this trifle of a [post], remember: even God has a sense of humor. Just look at the platypus. Thank you and enjoy the [post].

P.S. We sincerely apologize to all platypus enthusiasts out there who are offended by that thoughtless comment about the platypi. [KBayDog] respects the noble platypus, and it is not our intention to slight these stupid creatures in any way.
Than you again and enjoy the [post].

Fallonflyr

pilot
It all comes down to a motivation/aptitude formula. You either have the perfect balance or one side can make up for any deficiency in the other. If they don't even out, you fail.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Those questions were in the ASTB when I took it. Were they removed?

I talked to the guy running the test development. The new test has a massive personality analysis part; much bigger than the last test. Apparently the plan (at least his understanding of it, and my understanding of his understanding), was to continue to develop that and introduce it in a few years. The new test also had a large videogame-like part where you had to listen to voice commands in a headset, and simultaneously keep a throttle and joystick within changing parameters.

WinterMute

The personality analysis part sounds like a huge train-wreck waiting to happen. I remember taking one for while applying for some minimum wage job in high school. All it proved was that you had some idea what the people asking the questions wanted to hear and were not a moron. They would make statements like "It is never okay to shoplift" strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree. Now, not being functionally retarded, the obvious answer is some form of agree. They try and check for "Fakers" with statements like: "I have never met a shoplifter". The idea being that a shoplifter would strongly agree to avoid suspicion. Which is a load of crap, because any person with an IQ above 80 would know that there are too many shoplifters in the world to have never met one.

Now, to be able to lie effectively about less concrete personality traits, you need to be a little bit smarter than average, but the people taking the ASTB are at least college educated, and likely a lot smarter than the average bear to begin with.

I have talked with people in psychology about this before, and they say stuff about there being more subtle checks etc, etc. Fundamentally, if there is a lot riding on the outcome, most people are going to lie on a personality test to try and get an edge by guessing what the "Good Traits" are. And if everyone is lying, all you find is the people who are better at guessing what you want to hear. IE, good liars.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
The personality analysis part sounds like a huge train-wreck waiting to happen. I remember taking one for while applying for some minimum wage job in high school. All it proved was that you had some idea what the people asking the questions wanted to hear and were not a moron. They would make statements like "It is never okay to shoplift" strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree. Now, not being functionally retarded, the obvious answer is some form of agree. They try and check for "Fakers" with statements like: "I have never met a shoplifter". The idea being that a shoplifter would strongly agree to avoid suspicion. Which is a load of crap, because any person with an IQ above 80 would know that there are too many shoplifters in the world to have never met one.

Now, to be able to lie effectively about less concrete personality traits, you need to be a little bit smarter than average, but the people taking the ASTB are at least college educated, and likely a lot smarter than the average bear to begin with.

I have talked with people in psychology about this before, and they say stuff about there being more subtle checks etc, etc. Fundamentally, if there is a lot riding on the outcome, most people are going to lie on a personality test to try and get an edge by guessing what the "Good Traits" are. And if everyone is lying, all you find is the people who are better at guessing what you want to hear. IE, good liars.
Everytime you post something, my eyes bleed.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

Are you sure you're thinking of the same kinds of questions questions?

I remember that the personality questions in the ASTB (biographical index section) about 10-15 years ago in which the "most right" answers were fairly subtle but still intuitive if you understood the point behind the test (ie. calculated risk taking while being neither reckless nor risk averse).

This newest test (I have no idea if it's even been validated yet) is pretty bizarre head shrink stuff- each question only has two answers, but both possible answers are always bad answers. Of course, if the head shrinks can establish good correlations with their test data and successful naval aviators, then they may have finally found their unicorn... or their Eleanor... or whatever...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Are you sure you're thinking of the same kinds of questions questions?

I remember that the personality questions in the ASTB (biographical index section) about 10-15 years ago in which the "most right" answers were fairly subtle but still intuitive if you understood the point behind the test (ie. calculated risk taking while being neither reckless nor risk averse).

This newest test (I have no idea if it's even been validated yet) is pretty bizarre head shrink stuff- each question only has two answers, but both possible answers are always bad answers. Of course, if the head shrinks can establish good correlations with their test data and successful naval aviators, then they may have finally found their unicorn... or their Eleanor... or whatever...

It may be a different test, but I remember the seat belt question specifically.

"Do you exceed the speed limit when driving?" (yes)
"Do you wear a seat belt when driving?" (why of course!)
"Have you ever hunted and killed an animal?" (um...)

I also remember all the prior-Es not fairing well on the bio test, and as best we could figure out, it was age-related questions.

exNavyOffRec

I talked to the guy running the test development. The new test has a massive personality analysis part; much bigger than the last test. Apparently the plan (at least his understanding of it, and my understanding of his understanding), was to continue to develop that and introduce it in a few years. The new test also had a large videogame-like part where you had to listen to voice commands in a headset, and simultaneously keep a throttle and joystick within changing parameters.

The different sections for placing the answers in the "applicant info" in the computer didn't include anything other than the standard aviation parts, they don't call it PFAR, FOFAR on the new version as they changed those names to prevent confusion from the old version so maybe the final version set to be used doesn't have that info, or maybe it is something that would go into the AQR score.