• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

?'s about Primary and Pipeline

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
True, no guarantee, but it wouldn't hurt to understand what an approach plate is and fly one before you get to instruments in primary.
Yes and no. The Navy does things DIFFERENTLY than our civilian counterparts....sometimes for a reason and sometimes for no reason. I had a fellow flight student when I went through flight school so long ago that had her CFI, but couldn't un-farkle herself long enough to "figure it out". ...she eventually DORd. YMMV.

-ea6bflyr ;)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Some of the worst flying I ever saw was the tiltrotor stud with 2500 fixed wing hours trying to monkeyfuck a 57 around the pattern. Not all high scorers in primary are off to fly jets...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My original post in this thread was in response to OP's question about classes/training/experience that may help him in the future. I was just trying to suggest something that I thought would be valuable to OP. I wasn't trying to lecture anyone.

We understood what you're trying to suggest. It's bad gouge. As mentioned, there've been a multitude of threads on the "will a ppl give me a leg up in the Program?" topic, and the short answer is "not really, don't waste the time and money".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Everyone knows the guys who had prior time who did really well. There are as many prior time dudes and dudettes who freaking bomb out of flight school with lots of prior time. There are many many guys whose first flight was in a T-34 and they went on to great things.

Fly civilian because you like to fly civilian, not because you think it will give you a leg up on your competition.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Everyone knows the guys who had prior time who did really well. There are as many prior time dudes and dudettes who freaking bomb out of flight school with lots of prior time. There are many many guys whose first flight was in a T-34 and they went on to great things.

Fly civilian because you like to fly civilian, not because you think it will give you a leg up on your competition.

That sums it up nicely.

The highlighted sentence is golden, I have witnessed this on many occasions, in the real arena!;)
BzB

cans

Congrats on your contract and selection. Welcome aboard!

Don't try to overthink this thing. Between now and January, stay healthy; stay in shape; get ready for a life-altering experience. There is no book to read, no movie to see, no additional training course to take that will have any influence on your pipeline progression or promotion...until maybe WAAY later in your career. Stay away from high-risk activities...don't want to break your leg or require knee surgery before you report. What pipeline you get selected for is a combination of many variables...primarily your performance to date, "what's available" in your timeframe, and, based primarily on the former, I guess, your desires. So work hard to create your own options.
Again...congrats!

Dually noted, don't buy that ninja bike I was thinking about. thanks for the gouge

cans

One thing that would be helpful to you during flight training would be previous flight experience.

I hope that's the case, but I've heard a lot of mixed views on that. Right now as it stands I have just over 500 hours total time and about 250 of that is twin-turbine time. I'm hoping any habits I've picked up during that will be easy to break when I go to flight training so I can fly the Navy way and they don't can me instead.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hope that's the case, but I've heard a lot of mixed views on that. Right now as it stands I have just over 500 hours total time and about 250 of that is twin-turbine time. I'm hoping any habits I've picked up during that will be easy to break when I go to flight training so I can fly the Navy way and they don't can me instead.

Just go in with the attitude that you know nothing, and you'll be fine.

Renegade One

None
Basic airmanship...comfort in the environment, a good "lookout habit" (e.g., head and eyes on a swivel), situational awareness...good voice comms, all stuff that will help you. Fight the urge to ever utter the words: "That's not what I was taught/how I was told to do it...". You get the idea.:)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

BigBadBo is trying to help, but he's recommending previous flight experience to give you a 'leg up' in USN flight training although lacking the experience to be credible. After several years of discussion pro & con, in many AW threads on this subject, as I see the general consensus:

1. Previous flight experience is just as often a detriment (unlearning old, then relearning NAVY procedures), as it is helpful...on average a wash.;)

2. If you have the time/$$$, and want to get some prior time... go for it. But be aware of the 'bad habit'/NAVY way syndrome (as cans is above), and you'll be OK.

3. In my experience, having discussed this many times with numerous primary IPs, if given the choice, the majority preferred flight 'cherries', so's to start with a clean mental blackboard, but did not seem adamant one way or the other. :)

Being aware of possible pitfalls is the key!:cool:
BzB

MasterBates

BzB is wise. He has summed it up better than I've seen.

And he has more hours in an A-4 than, oh, anybody, so I think he may know a thing or 100 about flying and instructing.