• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

?'s about Primary and Pipeline

ryan1234

Rumor is Navy/CNATRA types are investigating an AF style program. While there are certainly spears to be thrown, the AF program focuses more on the screening aspect to filter out more who don't have the motivation / basic adaptability with a few relatively cheap DA20 hours instead of more expensive T-6 training. Trying to reduce the number of potential DOR/washout candidates entering primary and helping the rest due to exposure to flight school-like stress might tip the economic scales back in IFSs favor.

Just from a student perspective... I really enjoyed the AF IFS program. Most all of the IPs were former AETC instructors, the ones I had ranged from a former F-16 SQ/CC and patch wearer... to a Civilian CFI who had significant time competing with a Pitts in the IAC. It was very sad to see quite a few people quit after a few flights for a variety of reasons. Some claimed they never wanted a pilot slot, but their ROTC commander put it down as their first choice. As disappointing as that was to see, overall it was good that they didn't make it farther down the road. I did the program with a fairly decent amount of civilian time and still learned a ton. For many zero time guys it was a kick in the nuts, and a few washed out for not being able to safely land the mighty Diamond, some for airsickness, some for just failing too many rides. It's a very structured program to include morning formal briefs at 0400, stand-up EPs every day, boldface/ops limits tests.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What if your previous civilian time may happen to include the Scooter? ;)

Good question... it all depends:

This one? Not much help ...:p
Scooter 1k.jpg

This one? Shit hot, if you can swing it...GO for it!;)
A-4C 149582 NK601 VA-146.jpg
BzB:cool:

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Everyone knows the guys who had prior time who did really well. There are as many prior time dudes and dudettes who freaking bomb out of flight school with lots of prior time. There are many many guys whose first flight was in a T-34 and they went on to great things.

Fly civilian because you like to fly civilian, not because you think it will give you a leg up on your competition.

This is without a doubt...the best comment on this thread. Says it all!;)
BzB

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What if your previous civilian time may happen to include the Scooter? ;)

You are in a very unique situation. If your prior flight time includes jets (in general); Skyhawks (in particular)... that will definitely be beneficial in flight training, especially if you select/earn jet advanced. As for others, I stick by my guns... that prior GA flight hours on average, have little effect on USN flight training flight performance.:cool:

The pros/cons of prior GA time vs flight training performance, have been kicked around for YEARS, both in AW forums & elsewhere, and I think the jury is still out (hung?)! My opinion is just that... only an opinion based on my own experience.;)
BzB

ryan1234

Good question... it all depends:

This one? Not much help ...:p

You know... the one that God inspired Ed Heinemann to design :)

A-4Kbeachcopy.jpg

(would be surprised if I could swindle my way into that before classing up... but it's a possibility)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know... the one that God inspired Ed Heinemann to design :)

A-4Kbeachcopy.jpg

(would be surprised if I could swindle my way into that before classing up... but it's a possibility)

Looks like the Kiwis knew how to have fun with theirs, anyway...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Indeed! Those Kiwi birds have a new lease on life now.
157906-A-4K-ddMAY70-RNZAF-NZ6203-touches-down-at-Ohakea-for-the-first-time.jpg
This was the first Kiwi A-4K 157906, Modex NZ6203.. touching down as the first arrival at RNZAF Base Ohakea. The first Skyhawk unit - RNZAF 75 Squadron.:)
BzB

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Rumor is Navy/CNATRA types are investigating an AF style program. While there are certainly spears to be thrown, the AF program focuses more on the screening aspect to filter out more who don't have the motivation / basic adaptability with a few relatively cheap DA20 hours instead of more expensive T-6 training

It also makes it a lot easier to influence selections based on diversity goals....

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
To the OP...spend about 4-6 hours in the morning trying to drink from a firehose...then spend about 1.5 hours every other day trying to put out a helmet fire with the water you retained from said firehose...quench remaining flames in beer at end of day. Training complete, you are ready for Primary.