• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Return of Turboprops to CAS role?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WTF? Did the engine run off and leave the plane behind? That looks bizarre . . .

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
YESS!!!

jizz_pants.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The flt deck markings that are visible don't look like a amphib. CVN, I'm guessing.

You could probably take off with a light load from an LHD. Landing would definitely be a varsity/terrifying manuever.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Looks like a carrier to me. I could do it....just give me a chance coach :)

BlkPny

pilot
Looks like a Marine NOGS bird (Night Obsevation and Gunship ). No M60s in the sponsons, FLIR unit under the nose, 20mm cannon under the fuselage, locked forward. They were quite a bit lighter than a regular OV-10A with hard points and a full bag of ordnance.

We had two of them come over and work with us for testing. The FLIR device could rotate 360 degrees, and was aimed by a guy in the back seat who had a control stick and a TV screen. Wherever he put the crosshairs, the 3-barreled 20mm would point. It was supposed to orbit the target and mark with HE rounds. The problems was, after marking a target with 20mm, there usually wasn't much target left.

A stripped and unloaded OV-10 could easily land and deck launch off a CVN. Couldn't do it with a full load, though.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
According to the site that I found the photo on, BlkPny and phrogdriver are right:
A U.S. Marine Corps North American Rockwell OV-10D Bronco observation aircraft as it taxis clear of the landing zone onboard aircraft carrier USS Saratoga (CV-60) during testing flight qualifications off the coast of North Carolina (USA) on 10 September 1985.
180px-OV-10D_CV-60_1985.jpeg

JustAGuy

pilot
Don't think that you would need to have a FAC-A qual. Purpose of the plane is to support SOF, who will have a JTAC. And depending on what you have loaded, you probably won't be busy down low.

FAC(A)'s can do a whole lot more then just clearing people hot. Having someone that is directly involved between the JTAC and strike assets can be an awesome tool. I am sure that if the JTAC is under fire on the ground he would love to have the guy above him that can run the show until he can handle it again. A FAC(A) crew can rack and stack people, act as a DASC(A), comm relay, provide marks for incoming strikers, lay down suppression on potential threats, etc. If they can do all that at 200' and 400 knots in a hornet, I am sure they could do it in this thing.

My guess is that this will die -- it will need survivability equipment and high end FLIR system -- probably not in the offering.....
It's already got an ejection seat, and if they can slap on an old LANTIRN pods to a S-3 right before it had its sundown, I don't think it would be too hard to integrate it on this type of platform.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
We deck launched 2 squadrons worth of OV-10Ds from TR right before Desert Storm. We cranned them on and took them accross the Atlantic. Flew them off right before we transited the Suez on the way to the Gulf.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
We deck launched 2 squadrons worth of OV-10Ds from TR right before Desert Storm. We cranned them on and took them accross the Atlantic. Flew them off right before we transited the Suez on the way to the Gulf.

I was there - huge vertrep while it was going on. Remember it pretty well. Quite a sight!. Logbook says probably 9 or 10 JAN 1991.

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
Imminent Beauty

Ohhhh I would love to fly that hunk of metal... Wish we could mod her for carrier ops!

Anyone know if there are gender qualifications for being Spec Ops' air support?

Thanks for the Enforcer link too - what a neat plane!