• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Return of Turboprops to CAS role?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Aren't loiter time and range the same? It seems like if you can go 400km then that could either be 200km out and 200km back or it could be 100km out, 200km loiter, and 100km back.

Max Endurance airspeed and Max Range airspeed are two different things. For instance, in a 60S, max endurance airspeed is about 70 knots and max range is about 132.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In all seriousness, where will the pilots come from? Will they send out an MARADMIN/NAVADMIN type of memo dictating the criteria like they did for the Osprey?

My guess? Assuming these planes will say NAVY on the side, diassoc or real-good-deal IA/GSA for guys with FAC(A) quals (Rhino and Hornet guys). I doubt there will be enough airplanes/squadrons for this to be a "pipeline" or "career".

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Endurance?!?!?!

Endurance you say? That's alright you fast, low, and slow movers, your friendly neighborhood warpig will be on station while you check offsta for gas.

Sunset%20view.JPG

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IMHO the Bronco would be a better choice. American, two spinners, longer loiter time, better cockpit visibility. Putting some P&Ws on there might match or exceed the range of the Tucano? And apparently we gave it a shot at the amphib ops already. Just sayin.

I am not sure where you are getting longer loiter time but the Super Tucano has much more range than an OV-10. Not only that but from everything I can read the Tucano has much more payload capability. Only significant airframe modifications are going to allow the OV-10 to match many of the capabilities of the Tucano and that takes time, time that we probably cannot afford at this time if we want to get aircraft into combat sooner rather than later.

And I think the purpose of this aircraft is going to be a bit different than the original OV-10, to a degree. Less FAC and more CAS.

And I could really care less what country makes the plane, if the best equipment is foreign then we should use it.

Down low and slow in the weeds, pissing people off, sooner or later one of those bad guys are going to get off a lucky shot and shut down one of your engines. And believe me, when they call you, they will need you low and slow, down in the weeds.

While it will still have to go down low and slow, precision munitions and targeting pods will negate some of that. Not only that, fortunately for us the enemy is a bit less well equipped than what we faced in 40 years ago.

P.S. While the OV-10 was flown off ships I don't think it was anything more than testing or a fly-off.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Damn. Whatever happened to taking young and dumb guys, training them up, and letting us have a good deal every now and then?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I knew Marine Delta Hornets do it, and that the Harrier community had worked out a way to do it in a single-seat; who else does that particular mission today?

I'm going to assume two-seater Super Hornets and skid guys?

(a not so subtle "so who's eligible to fly this" question, of course)