• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Return of Turboprops to CAS role?

Lawman

None
Show me a helo pilot and I'll show you a dude who wants more gas...

Are you shitting me? They figured out how to put wing tanks on us that we can take into combat.... 5 hours of not moving between FARP trips woot dead ass.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Are you shitting me? They figured out how to put wing tanks on us that we can take into combat.... 5 hours of not moving between FARP trips woot dead ass.

Not at all. Might be a Navy thing.

The -60S only has 2.0ish of internal fuel without the aux tank (then figure 3.2) Hocking your ladder is what we teach every nugget from day one in grooming them for aircraft commanders. Probably a product of being over water all the time.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Not at all. Might be a Navy thing.

The -60S only has 2.0ish of internal fuel without the aux tank (then figure 3.2) Hocking your ladder is what we teach every nugget from day one in grooming them for aircraft commanders. Probably a product of being over water all the time.
Other than the 53 most USMC helos have similar legs to the 60. Snakes were always landing on fumes.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
One of the reasons the 60S replaced the 60H was because there were deficiencies in that airframe that caused mission impacts. And the 60H was getting old. Imagine if we hadn't have acquired the 60S and instead the 60H had been allowed to whither over the past 10 years like the USN Phrogs that were loosing an engine per day across the fleet. Tired iron is tired. There's only so much upgrading and strapping on cool new gadgets that can be done before the airframe and dynamic components give up.

The 60H is old and tired (FCF 4-per anyone?) from an airframe standpoint but there are a lot of things avionics wise that I wish had been incorporated in the 60S.