• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Residency to Florida

dsevo

Can we change our residency to FL while we're in API, or do we have to be there longer? I need to get my car registered there because of the green weenie smog laws here in CA. I was planning on doing it while I am at API.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
What's the trick to keeping FL as your resident state once you are done with flight school and move? Can you keep a PO Box or something?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can we change our residency to FL while we're in API, or do we have to be there longer? I need to get my car registered there because of the green weenie smog laws here in CA. I was planning on doing it while I am at API.

What's the trick to keeping FL as your resident state once you are done with flight school and move? Can you keep a PO Box or something?

There's no minimum-residency time requirement for active duty military in Fla. Just go and get 'er done. Bring a copy of your orders.

Neither do you need an address to keep your residency. As long as you're on active duty, you're good. I've always been a Fla resident despite living in MD, CA or VA for most of the last fifteen years.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
As long as you are on active duty, you can keep your residency. You do not have to have a PO Box, etc. If ever asked, you just say "I am planning on returning to Florida after I leave the service". The key word is "planning".

dsevo

One more question, do I have to physically have the car with me to register it in florida, or can I just walk into the office with the title and CA registration? I don't plan on having my car with me in FL.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One more question, do I have to physically have the car with me to register it in florida, or can I just walk into the office with the title and CA registration? I don't plan on having my car with me in FL.

They'll want to verify the VIN and mileage. They won't do it without actually looking at the car, though you might be able to get someone in CA to do a certified odo and VIN inspection for you (most police depts and DMVs can do it), and FL should accept that.

EDIT: Here's the relevant website (Escambia County Tax Collector's Office) for those Pensacola-bound.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
They'll want to verify the VIN and mileage. They won't do it without actually looking at the car, though you might be able to get someone in CA to do a certified odo and VIN inspection for you (most police depts and DMVs can do it), and FL should accept that.

2 years ago, anyone E7 or above could sign off on the VIN verification sheet. That also saved you from paying whatever fee they assessed for that "service" at the tax office.

dsevo

2 years ago, anyone E7 or above could sign off on the VIN verification sheet. That also saved you from paying whatever fee they assessed for that "service" at the tax office.

Does that mean I would be able to sign off on my own VIN verification sheet?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I asked the same question. I was told "No."

Now, getting your ENS buddy from API to certify your VIN for you: that is (or at leas was) 100% legit. I have the FL tags to prove it.:D

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Just remember to actually change your residency before you go to PSD. Technically you should be living in Florida and be a resident before changing your state for tax purposes.

I had some friends do it the other way around... They didn't get in trouble, but its not technically legal...

dsevo

This thread has good info for anyone who will be passing through FL after OCS. Who the heck wants to pay more taxes than they have to?

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I had FL do a VIN verification for me last week so that I could sent it to AZ for new plates. They didn't charge me anything.

The best place to become a citizen of is probably Alaska. Not only are there no taxes, but they pay you dividends each year from the oil revenue. Last year every resident got something like $3000. And their governator is hot. Can an Alaska resident confirm?