• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Residency to Florida

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not an Alaska resident, but my neighbor in MD opened up a bed and breakfast there and he said to get those benefits you have to prove you have physically been in the state for a year. For his first year up there he said he didn't get anything, but after that he was getting some of the revenues. How much I don't know.

AJB37

I had FL do a VIN verification for me last week so that I could sent it to AZ for new plates. They didn't charge me anything.

The best place to become a citizen of is probably Alaska. Not only are there no taxes, but they pay you dividends each year from the oil revenue. Last year every resident got something like $3000. And their governator is hot. Can an Alaska resident confirm?

Their governor resigned, and I think you actually have to be living in the state for a certain amount of time each year to get the oil money.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Something to keep in mind, as I was told by a local JAG once, was that in order for your "residency" to hold up in court, you have to prove intent to return. This goes beyond just registering to vote, and titling your car to owning land or having family ties. Your old apartment at Governor's Gate where you lived for 6 months would likely not suffice should your home state get a bug up its butt and investigate you for back taxes (which they could do if you then move back post-military).

I was a NY resident when I commissioned, since my parents moved there when I went to college. I have no ties there and no plans to move back to that Communist republic. So I switched my residency to PA, since I went to college there, my family's roots are from there, and my family owns land there that I plan to spend time at when I'm an old man. Much easier case for me to make than FL. YMMV.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Can I change my residence without physically being in Florida? I didn't do it while I was API and I am in Texas now.

Pretty dang sure you're out of luck. You gotta get a drivers license and title your cars in FL. Tough to do if you're not here. Just put your residency in TX. No income tax there either.

And another thing for posterity...Bring your orders to the tax collectors office. It'll save you $225 per car.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Get a FL driver's license, then get a FL title and registration for your car.

There. You are now a Floridian. Welcome!

How about not doing ANY of the above and just submitting for home of residence change with PSD through your admin department? I did it the week before I left florida for SERE school.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Bits and pieces of good information. For a perspective, there are two issues, the first is seminal, the second of less importance.

About 40 years ago, DoD agreed to withhold State taxes from military pay. This was a very big deal in military circles, as at that time very few military folks bothered to pay state taxes. The agreement was that the services would withhold taxes based on a members “of record” state of residency. Without going into a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo, once the state has your money, you are going to have a hard time convincing them to give it back to you. So, the objective is to not have the Navy (or others) withhold state taxes and give your money to the states in the first place. The only way to prevent withholding of taxes for a specific state to is to go to PSD and convince them you are now a resident of ____ state, and make an "of record" entry into your service jacket. Best if it is a state that does not have income taxes. Various PSD’s (and folk within PSD) have various “proof” requirements. So the arguments of a “drivers license”, “own property”, “voter registration”, et al., are mute. You must convince the PSD folks, so you must find out their requirements. They vary..

The second issue is the states and the states’ interests. They want your money, however, they are prevented by various statutes from aggressive action. To be sure, they are not happy about the situation but there is little they can do about it. Disclaimer. I have no legal stature, so any legal advice I would give is worthless. But I would guess that if there were something the states could do about it, they would have done so long ago.

About 2 years ago, California made an attempt to recover. I am not sure how successful they were in the process. Apparently, they mined all available databases and anyone they found living in California that did not file an income tax return, they sent to them a nice letter telling them to pay or show cause or go to jail. Many military folk received this letter.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I did the FL Residency change right when I got down here at the Tax Collectors Office. I'm getting the title done probably this week. I was a WI resident before and they soak you for 8%. No reason to keep that up. Go with old Drivers License, Social Security Card, and two proofs of residency (bills are good). You'll get your new DL and register to vote right there. That's all you need. Go to CPC at Schools Command to change the residency and you're off to the races. I'm planning on keeping my residency here throughout my entire military career.

One question I've got for the older folks who've been around the block, what do I do about mailing/billing addresses going forward? Just keep changing them? Is it better to get a PO Box here on base and keep that for my career? Do banks frown on you being a vagabond, so to speak?

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... One question I've got for the older folks who've been around the block, what do I do about mailing/billing addresses going forward? Just keep changing them? Is it better to get a PO Box here on base and keep that for my career? ... /QUOTE]

Older folk, aye. All states require a current address on DL/Registration. Think Florida demands an update within 10 days after change. I always like the squadron address . I always maintained I was part and parcel of the US Navy, so .... When asked, the first ID was always Military ID, then registration/dl/ins. Having an addresses on DL and registration that are different will not work unless you are AD Military.

Banks? NFCU and USAA both understand. Never had/seen/heard of any problems.

Circle K

pilot
Something worth talking about on this thread is the difference between Home of Record (at least one post referenced it) and "residency". Residency is easy to change as has been mentioned many times, drivers license, voter registration, and changing the state of withholding on your W-2. It's also easy to do because even the W-2 part you can do as many times as pleases you. Although as a now 6 year resident of FL (since Day 1 of A-pool) I'm not sure why would want to keep changing after you get to one of those no state tax states, like FL or TX or the others mentioned.

Home of Record is a lot different. This starts out as the address where you began your time in the military. It's major purpose is, it is the location the military plans to send you back to when you are done. Your last move either at separation or retirement will be paid for, but it can't be any further in distance than your current duty station to your HOR. That is the money you use if you want more than the 600 lbs on a TDY set of orders. You get to change it once, and you get that money once, so make sure if you plan to change that one, that you really know where you are going after the military. Quite a bit different than the "planning to reside" phrase that is key to residency.

Hope that helps some people.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I have my Rhode Island address on my Florida license and I update my license every time I move with my new address. I update it on line and have the new license mailed to my house.
Florida doesn't care what address you put on the license as long as they are getting the $$.

I've heard stories from folks who say they got hassled from local cops (Virginia mostly) for having a Virginia address on a Florida license, but it's never been more than complaining that they need to get a Virginia license if you live in Virginia.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
FL is also a very "gun friendly" state. Our statutes re CWL* (and that is what its called here) and "castle doctrine" were widely copied (in part) by many other like-minded states...we currently enjoy reciprocity with thirty four other states...resident license good for seven years at moderate cost...renew on line.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

*Concealed Weapons License