• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Residency to Florida

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Just roll over to the local tax collector's office in Pensacola. It is as simple as walking in the door and getting it done, FL makes it very easy to change residency.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Get a FL driver's license, then get a FL title and registration for your car.

There. You are now a Floridian. Welcome!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
most importantly, go to PSD and change the state on your W-2...then you don't pay income tax...

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Can somebody explain why the DMV is in a tax collector's office? This is a foreign concept to some of us west coasters.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can somebody explain why the DMV is in a tax collector's office? This is a foreign concept to some of us west coasters.

That's just the way things are done in FL. The Tax Collector is an elected official and they manage various income streams into the state government, such as vehicle licencing and registration. It's functionally equivalent to any other state DMV.

Brett

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You can get a license all you want. If you don't change it at PSD, you'll still be a resident of your original state on paper for tax purposes. I was from CA and promptly changed it to FL when I got to advanced helos.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Hopefully you're marginally smarter than the idiots who couldn't push a chad on their ballot card.

I'd get residency and reap those tax benefits ASAP. WI residents get raped to the tune of ~8%. Enjoy you money in FL.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There were a couple of threads a while back about TX/FL/VA residency for military folks. None of them have state income taxes, so it's just a matter of your convenience. I know it's very easy in FL for military - they do it all the time.

Big thing, as mentioned, is GO TO PSD! Otherwise the Navy will keep sending your tax money to your old state.

As a heads-up, one weird thing FL does when transferring your car title/registration: if you have a car loan, when you go in and fill out the paperwork, they will send off the title request to the leinholder and you have to wait for it to come back before you can go get your new plates, etc. For well-oiled machines like USAA, it's maybe a week; small-time credit unions and such can take a lot longer.

Just saying, don't wait until the day before your old out-of-state plates expire to go get the new Florida ones.