• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Residency to Florida

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
It might be worth asking your current state if they have an exemption for active duty members stationed out of state. I'm an Oregon resident, and I was able to get an income tax exemption because I am serving out of state, am not planning on spending more than 30 days in Oregon, and I think there's one other requirement that I can't remember at the moment. My Oregon license has my Virginia address (which I think is hilarious), and my car is registered and titled in Oregon. I pay zero state income tax.

Don't know how many other states do that though. Oregon does. :)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've had CA and VA addresses on my Florida license and never had an issue. I swapped it out for a VA license when living in Norfolk and FL was giving me some buffoonery about a motorcycle endorsement; it didn't impact my FL residency and wasn't a problem to get a FL license again once I was back in Pensacola.

Likewise, I had VA plates on my truck and motorcycle, mostly because I liked the Jimmy Buffett plates. Likewise, no problems with FL residency.

parrot.jpg

The best thing to do is pick up FL residency while in A-Pool/API and keep it as long as you're on AD.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
...difference between Home of Record (at least one post referenced it) and "residency"....

Home of Record is a lot different. This starts out as the address where you began your time in the military. It's major purpose is, it is the location the military plans to send you back to when you are done. Your last move either at separation or retirement will be paid for, but it can't be any further in distance than your current duty station to your HOR.

Partially right. There is a difference between separating and retiring when it comes to that last move.

See post #4 on this thread http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152390&p=622628&highlight=#post622628

/end threadjack

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Concur on the "partially. Ye olde system will not let me look at referenced post, but, while things might have changed, do not think so. When I retired my HOR was a scant 250 miles away from my last duty station. I selected Tokyo, Japan as the location i planned to reside (PG work on my PHd , Sophia University Japan) and Uncle paid my way there, shipped my belongings. I had to pay for my return.!!!
/end threadjack

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Home of Record can also be a problem with a MedEvac, as I once found out.

While my residency (friends, girlfriends, cars, and squadron home station) was in San Diego, my Home of Record was in the Midwest.

As the medic hauled me out of Yokosuka hospital in Japan on a stretcher, he checked the "shipping-tag" tied on my toe, saying I was going to Great Lakes Hospital in Illinois, which was nearest to my HOR.

Startled, I stopped him, and said I needed to go to Balboa Hospital in San Diego where I was based and where I lived. Fortunately they cancelled my Medevac. I later got put on another C-141 flight to San Diego NKX and Balboa Naval Hospital via Travis AFB.

Good thing I was conscious, or I would have been stuck in bed in Chicago... and with no young and lovely "visitors." :D :D

phrogpilot73

As long as you are on active duty, you can keep your residency.
Or an active duty dependent. That was a recent change to the law... I still have a "valid" Florida license (I've renewed it online, but my picture was pre-digital days and can't get a new one), and the wife and I plan to start a business in P-Cola. That's my justification.

Likewise, I had VA plates on my truck and motorcycle, mostly because I liked the Jimmy Buffett plates.
parrot.jpg
Too bad they don't have a double anchor version. This is what I'm sporting on my car:
navala.jpg

It still blows my mind that Florida, home of Pensacola, the CRADLE of Naval Aviation doesn't have something similar...