• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve Retirement Awareness

Hair Warrior

Contributor
No.

Again, an administrative nightmare that won't really 'fix' anything as CONUS and 'good deal' MOB's can be pretty hard to almost impossible to differentiate from 'hard' ones. I was deployed to a country on my last MOB and it was an 'easy' one, but just a few miles away a buddy of mine had a much harder MOB. And some of the folks from my reserve unit got tagged for some particular CONUS billets and worked harder than almost anyone else, with periodic trips 'downrange'.

It is pretty to make things 'fair' in the military, with much of your career based on luck and timing. Trying to do that with MOB's would cause more problems than it is worth.
Roger. I wasn’t thinking hard vs easy, I was more thinking desk vs non-desk. I would count the “US State-Worldwide Deployable” as non-desk.

But you are right - can’t split hairs on mob billets - and that leads me to maybe think that means Mattis was right not trying to differentiate and just leaving it at “deploy.”

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You clearly have not had the pleasure of working with NOSC San Diego.
Nope, but in the end, it is up to us to run things up the flagpole for resolution. I have found, unfortunately, that many are unwilling or are unable to do that which is needed. I've only had to mention "my intent is to escalate to the RCC Regional Commander" once in my career. Everything else has been clarifying and educating on policy and instruction.

snake020

Contributor
For those that are on the other side, looking to clarify when you can actually stop drilling once you've submitted retirement. When you've hit 19 have hit 50 points for your 20th year and have requested retirement in NSIPS, can you say transfer me to the VTU and give me AAs the rest of the way? Not getting a clear read from this thread or from the text on MyNavyHR.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
For those that are on the other side, looking to clarify when you can actually stop drilling once you've submitted retirement. When you've hit 19 have hit 50 points for your 20th year and have requested retirement in NSIPS, can you say transfer me to the VTU and give me AAs the rest of the way? Not getting a clear read from this thread or from the text on MyNavyHR.
If you’re an 0-4, once you have 20 years, you will get a letter that says you must ask for continuance or submit for retirement.. Just follow the directions on the letter.. That was 2013 so it may have changed but unlikely. Also call BUPERS and make sure you haven’t screwed up and actually have 20 good years.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
If you’re an 0-4, once you have 20 years, you will get a letter that says you must ask for continuance or submit for retirement.. Just follow the directions on the letter.. That was 2013 so it may have changed but unlikely. Also call BUPERS and make sure you haven’t screwed up and actually have 20 good years.
Why not just sign into BOL and check your points in ASHOSH? What does calling them tell you what checking the points board does not?

Genuinely asking, as I may be in this situation eventually. My AY is June, so thinking I’ll stop drilling in March or April, assuming I have 50 points accrued for both AY and CY. Hit it hard in the spring with funeral honors, and be done.

taxi1

pilot
Why not just sign into BOL and check your points in ASHOSH? What does calling them tell you what checking the points board does not?
They owe you a letter when you have a good 20 years, so if you don’t get the letter, something is off in the system. A quick call to Millington up front can avoid many, many calls on the backside. Think of it as a GCA even though you are flying GPS-guided approach. Warm and fuzzy…

Mos

None
They owe you a letter when you have a good 20 years, so if you don’t get the letter, something is off in the system. A quick call to Millington up front can avoid many, many calls on the backside. Think of it as a GCA even though you are flying GPS-guided approach. Warm and fuzzy…
Great, another piece of paper that I'm dependent on big Navy for... for something vitally important. There's no way that happens in a timely manner.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Great, another piece of paper that I'm dependent on big Navy for... for something vitally important. There's no way that happens in a timely manner.
Take heart. Big Navy issues those pieces of paper monthly, and I’d wager most people get theirs with no fuss, or you’d be hearing a lot more about this. Doesn’t mean you WON’T see issues, but I’d bet the majority of pending retirees don’t.

I’ll still make that preemptive CYA call in March or April of ‘25 when I show myself complete though.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
+1 on hawking your retirement points if you're anywhere close to 20. Biggest thing you can do is make sure Millington has all your correct contact info and dependant info. Learn to love the ARPR/ASOSH page on BOL.

Besides just the Notification of Eligibility (NOE) you need to make the election for Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Plan (RCSBP). Essentially RCSBP takes a percentage of your future retirement pay to provide for your survivors in the event that you die while in 'gray area.' So if you retire tomorrow and drop dead next Wednesday, your spouse will get your retirement pay - just as if you were an AC retiree - even if you haven't yet hit age 60.

If you're relatively young it's not a bad idea...think of it as retirement pay insurance. If you're in good health and relatively close to 60 you might not need it. But either way you need to make the election within 90 days of getting the NOE.

In my case, I had a chat with my unit CO, told him my plans to drop my paperwork, and his attitude was more or less: good to go, drill as much or not as you want to between now and your effective date, thank you for your service. I told the unit mustering guy the deal and he made sure my remaining drills were in as AAs. The NOSC couldn't have given less of a shit (NRC Washington!). Millington was kind of behind timeline - my request was still showing "pending NPC approval" well past my requested date, but turned out to not really matter. They finally called me about a month after my requested date, got my confirmation that I was retiring and did want it effective that date, it showed as Approved by the end of the day and got my Suitable For Framing retirement certificate in the mail about three weeks later.