• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Religious Accommodation?

GodofAeons

Would be interested to know if there’s more to that story, or if the person’s scam-fu was just that strong. The hard part about getting CO status, as I understand it, is that you have to have developed legitimate religious beliefs incompatible with service since starting to serve. And you can’t pick and choose; it’s either a rejection of ALL military service or not.

I went through this with the chaplains on my boat as a DivO. I had a Sailor who came up to me with the whole “I might be a CO” thing right after he really got a taste of boat life. So I made him an appointment to see Chaps, and crickets. I surmise that when he discovered the process involved explaining himself to someone with a Masters in Divinity, whose job is differentiating legitimate religious conversions from people looking for an out, that that’s when the issue quietly went “poof.”

Being norse pagan, they'd laugh me out at the door if I attempted to he a CO. Being a warrior is a huge part of it. And me being a pilot is the modern equivalent of a warrior. I'm ecstatic to serve in this role for my country.

HeartofTexas

Contributor
Somewhat related to religion and service...

Had a relative who was accepted to two service academies, including USNA. Opted for NROTC at a top college (coincidentally had the unique program of study the person was looking at for post-Navy), thereafter joining the Navy as a pilot. Person had no issues with any of the training aside from the usual JO/young person whines. Said person then gets assigned to E-6B's. Complained about the duty station, etc., etc. Then, all of the sudden the person starts having "religious issues" with being part of nuclear command and control and seeks conscientious objector status as well as tells the Navy they would fly anything else (e.g., P-8).

Person's conscientious objector b.s. was approved and person was discharged without having to pay back a red cent of their $250k+ degree program.

As someone from this community, I wouldn't be surprised if your relative was best friends with the author of a very cringey article.

Personally never understood why Os complain so much about the duty station. Over 90% get to leave for different communities in under 3 years plus you rack up flight hours on a multiengine aircraft that pads the logbook quite nicely. Additionally, you get a TS clearance. Not sure if being a C.O. would downgrade the clearance...

Meanwhile, you will encounter many enlisted who have spent their entire 20 year career here and not spent a single day on a boat, rather an impressive irony of being in the Navy.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
As someone from this community, I wouldn't be surprised if your relative was best friends with the author of a very cringey article.

Personally never understood why Os complain so much about the duty station. Over 90% get to leave for different communities in under 3 years plus you rack up flight hours on a multiengine aircraft that pads the logbook quite nicely. Additionally, you get a TS clearance. Not sure if being a C.O. would downgrade the clearance...

I remember being surprised that article ever made it through the Wing and STRATCOM. I was in VQ-3 with the author and did several trips with him. Top ten smartest guys I’ve ever met.

I’ll leave it at that.

HeartofTexas

Contributor
I remember being surprised that article ever made it through the Wing and STRATCOM. I was in VQ-3 with the author and did several trips with him. Top ten smartest guys I’ve ever met.

I’ll leave it at that.

Certainly more swiss cheese slices than I'd feel comfortable discussing, even with clearance. However, that's just my predilection.

The part that killed me was "stuffing our faces with comm candy and gulping down cup after cup of coffee". Like damn, just call everyone out with our caffeine addiction why don't ya?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Certainly more swiss cheese slices than I'd feel comfortable discussing, even with clearance. However, that's just my predilection.

The part that killed me was "stuffing our faces with comm candy and gulping down cup after cup of coffee". Like damn, just call everyone out with our caffeine addiction why don't ya?
Like that's limited to VQ(J). :) In the PacNW, you can't throw a rock without hitting a coffee shack. I once flew with a guy who'd get a 6-shot latte and then come into work and start drinking coffee. Of course, he was a ginger. So seeing as he didn't have a soul, the caffeine was probably animating him and if he ever stopped drinking it, he'd keel over dead.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Like that's limited to VQ(J). :) In the PacNW, you can't throw a rock without hitting a coffee shack. I once flew with a guy who'd get a 6-shot latte and then come into work and start drinking coffee. Of course, he was a ginger. So seeing as he didn't have a soul, the caffeine was probably animating him and if he ever stopped drinking it, he'd keel over dead.
Much like Captain America: "I understood that reference...."

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Also highest per capita of bikini clad girl served coffee kiosks I've ever seen.....

exNavyOffRec

Careful you don’t get rolled up in a sting by the SnoCo Sheriff’s Department . . .
There aren't too many left and those that are I guess are very careful, I remember driving to work and there were several on my route more than one time I would be at a stop light only to look over and see nipples in plain view lol

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There aren't too many left and those that are I guess are very careful, I remember driving to work and there were several on my route more than one time I would be at a stop light only to look over and see nipples in plain view lol
Funny, the ones I’ve driven by all seem to have curtains on the road side or some positioning such that you can’t see the barista unless (I assume) you were to pull up and get coffee.

Maybe those ones are just trying to keep the lazy cops away. ?

exNavyOffRec

Funny, the ones I’ve driven by all seem to have curtains on the road side or some positioning such that you can’t see the barista unless (I assume) you were to pull up and get coffee.

Maybe those ones are just trying to keep the lazy cops away. ?

HWY 9 had several with not really much protection, one on HWY 2 as well (this was over 10 years ago), most of those are gone and the few I have seen now are pretty well blacked out. There is one that you can see the girls easily from the road as the window they use faces west and the traffic backs up with the cars pointing east.

Do you remember the Snoco Sheriff that was caught driving through those stands many times in his patrol car?

I also find it funny that a post that started as religious accommodation is now discussing bikini baristas LOL