• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Religious Accommodation?

GodofAeons

I think this gives you the answer. I think overall the costs are going to outweigh the benefits of expressing your religion by wearing a religious arm band on your shoulder. While the majority of everyone would not give you problems, it is going to be very unique and potentially distracting at least on a subconscious level. If serving is primary, then wouldn't the standard uniform regulations not take away from your religious life?

Can you attain your same levels of spirituality and belief without a physical arm band? At the end of the day, it is your religion, and no one can ever take it from you. But is the arm band really worth it? Apologize if these questions are ignorant. I'm not challenging your beliefs, just trying to get yourself to reflect on how you want to approach this.

I agree with you on a lot of those items, I meant the "I wouldn't wear it every day" as "i wouldn't wear it as a part of the uniform ever", not as "I would only wear the armband occasionally".

On the off times I would wear it, it would be on my skin beneath any clothes.

Sonog

pilot
I agree with you on a lot of those items, I meant the "I wouldn't wear it every day" as "i wouldn't wear it as a part of the uniform ever", not as "I would only wear the armband occasionally".

On the off times I would wear it, it would be on my skin beneath any clothes.

OCS is such an insane, dirty time I would consider bringing it with you and keeping it secure with your personal items until commissioning. Then wear it under your uniform for the special occasion and decide from there how you want to incorporate it into your uniformed life.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Just curious, have you encountered this in the USAF/ARNG? A few years ago I had the impression that only readily saved, officially “touched the face of God,” hardened Christian crusaders could even start their aircraft.

I've heard the same thing- but I suppose I haven't been around long enough to say either way. It's also 'Rona and min staffing, so everyone is getting paid to stay home.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
In boot camp I went to both the protestant and catholic services just to get away from the DI's for a few hours. For some reason they thought I was Jewish. A synagogue in Beaufort would hold services for the recruits. I think as long as the OP is not abusing puppies or children nobody is going to care.

I went to the local Lutheran church in Newport when I was at OCS. I was the only person in my class who left base. Everyone thought I was weird and crazy for leaving when I could be shining my shoes or memorizing my gouge book instead. While they were stressing, I was enjoying church and drinking coffee and eating food that the church ladies had brought. I highly recommend going out in town if you are of a particular denomination that isn't offered on base.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I went to the local Lutheran church in Newport when I was at OCS. I was the only person in my class who left base. Everyone thought I was weird and crazy for leaving when I could be shining my shoes or memorizing my gouge book instead. While they were stressing, I was enjoying church and drinking coffee and eating food that the church ladies had brought. I highly recommend going out in town if you are of a particular denomination that isn't offered on base.
I did think about it, Those services where held on Saturdays. Didn't want to skyline myself.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Somewhat related to religion and service...

Had a relative who was accepted to two service academies, including USNA. Opted for NROTC at a top college (coincidentally had the unique program of study the person was looking at for post-Navy), thereafter joining the Navy as a pilot. Person had no issues with any of the training aside from the usual JO/young person whines. Said person then gets assigned to E-6B's. Complained about the duty station, etc., etc. Then, all of the sudden the person starts having "religious issues" with being part of nuclear command and control and seeks conscientious objector status as well as tells the Navy they would fly anything else (e.g., P-8).

Person's conscientious objector b.s. was approved and person was discharged without having to pay back a red cent of their $250k+ degree program.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Had a relative who was accepted to two service academies, including USNA. Opted for NROTC at a top college (coincidentally had the unique program of study the person was looking at for post-Navy), thereafter joining the Navy as a pilot. Person had no issues with any of the training aside from the usual JO/young person whines. Said person then gets assigned to E-6B's. Complained about the duty station, etc., etc. Then, all of the sudden the person starts having "religious issues" with being part of nuclear command and control and seeks conscientious objector status as well as tells the Navy they would fly anything else (e.g., P-8).

Person's conscientious objector b.s. was approved and person was discharged without having to pay back a red cent of their $250k+ degree program.
Interesting. In the army we had a few guys try the C.O. route when a deployment was pending but the army was pretty strict about the regulations. Not a lot of wiggle room since there are very few qualified religions.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
That should probably be a stipulation in the initial contract. For BDCP, if I had ever DOR'd I owed 3 years as an enlisted undesgnated striker. Not sure if that clause was ever activated, but it should have been if I pulled shit like that. ROTC contracts should have some sort of similar agreement based on how much was spent for their education (and the million+ spent putting them through flight school!).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Would be interested to know if there’s more to that story, or if the person’s scam-fu was just that strong. The hard part about getting CO status, as I understand it, is that you have to have developed legitimate religious beliefs incompatible with service since starting to serve. And you can’t pick and choose; it’s either a rejection of ALL military service or not.

I went through this with the chaplains on my boat as a DivO. I had a Sailor who came up to me with the whole “I might be a CO” thing right after he really got a taste of boat life. So I made him an appointment to see Chaps, and crickets. I surmise that when he discovered the process involved explaining himself to someone with a Masters in Divinity, whose job is differentiating legitimate religious conversions from people looking for an out, that that’s when the issue quietly went “poof.”

exNavyOffRec

Would be interested to know if there’s more to that story, or if the person’s scam-fu was just that strong. The hard part about getting CO status, as I understand it, is that you have to have developed legitimate religious beliefs incompatible with service since starting to serve. And you can’t pick and choose; it’s either a rejection of ALL military service or not.

I went through this with the chaplains on my boat as a DivO. I had a Sailor who came up to me with the whole “I might be a CO” thing right after he really got a taste of boat life. So I made him an appointment to see Chaps, and crickets. I surmise that when he discovered the process involved explaining himself to someone with a Masters in Divinity, whose job is differentiating legitimate religious conversions from people looking for an out, that that’s when the issue quietly went “poof.”

I never encountered many CO's during my early years, later on we had a few, my unscientific observation is that when don't ask don't tell came into play is when it became more prevalent, before DADT it seemed that people claiming to be gay was the way to get out. I think in a 3 year period we saw about a half dozen that claimed to be gay and were then discharged, there may have been 1 or 2 that really were, the others were doubtful as a few ended up getting married to their girlfriends after being discharged.