• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Religious Accommodation?

GodofAeons

Hey all,

I was wondering how to go about getting religious accommodation if possible?

I want to bring my "holy book", prayer mat, offering plate with me to OCS.

Also, I have an arm band that represents the oath I swear to uphold. I would want a leader at the ceremony where I take the oath to present it to me - for me, its a very important religious item. An unbreakable vow and the arm band is a physical representation of that oath.

Does anyone know how I would go about getting it approved? Even if I would have to do it off to the side before/after the ceremony is fine.

I understand I may not be able to, that is fine but if possible I want it - I'm even fine having it privately done if possible.

Last edited:

Mos

None
Can't say I have much experience with this, but I would suggest asking your OR.
Applicable instructions include DOD INSTRUCTION 1300.17, which covers overall policy and BUPERS INSTRUCTION 1730.11A, which provides more specifics for Navy pre-accessions (i.e., recruits and officer candidates like yourself). Do a Google search for these instructions and read them.

Meyerkord

pilot
When I was at OCS they were very accommodating with religious preferences. Talk to your class officer when you get there and they should be able to help you out. You can definitely do a private commissioning ceremony before the full class. There were a handful of people that did that in my class.

Last edited:

hscs

pilot
Are you asking to wear an arm band in uniform? It matters.

Don't expect a decision in a day. Think months.

I am also confused on what you say the oath is - are you taking a religious oath while also taking the commissioning oath? If so - this would be very non-standard.

If approved, OCS approval does not necessarily equal fleet approval. Check the instructions - you may need to request again when in the fleet.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
For the most part your religious preferences will be respected but only to the limits all others are. If you are of a gnostic faith you won’t have the privacy of space you might want, but you will always have a chapel available to you. Your prayer schedule, assuming you have one, will not be honored so make sure your faith allows for that kind of dispensation while in the service. Lastly, you can wear just bout whatever you want under your uniform but not over/on top of it. I served with a Sikh who had to keep his hair short but serving was important to him.

Lastly, and this is personal advice, you need to be open about your faith. Name it, answer questions about it, and don’t be vague. If it matters to you that is good enough for most people in the military (and they won’t care for the most part) but trying to hide it by being coy or evasive will increase curiosity and on the really bad side, a lack of trust.

GodofAeons

For the most part your religious preferences will be respected but only to the limits all others are. If you are of a gnostic faith you won’t have the privacy of space you might want, but you will always have a chapel available to you. Your prayer schedule, assuming you have one, will not be honored so make sure your faith allows for that kind of dispensation while in the service. Lastly, you can wear just bout whatever you want under your uniform but not over/on top of it. I served with a Sikh who had to keep his hair short but serving was important to him.

Lastly, and this is personal advice, you need to be open about your faith. Name it, answer questions about it, and don’t be vague. If it matters to you that is good enough for most people in the military (and they won’t care for the most part) but trying to hide it by being coy or evasive will increase curiosity and on the really bad side, a lack of trust.

Thank you for this response. I kind of thought religion was a "don't ask don't tell" type attitude. If its not looked down upon then that makes it all the better.

And my mission as an officer in the Navy comes first - my religion is second. So if something isn't possible, then I understand. Serving is my top priority.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Thank you for this response. I kind of thought religion was a "don't ask don't tell" type attitude. If its not looked down upon then that makes it all the better.

And my mission as an officer in the Navy comes first - my religion is second. So if something isn't possible, then I understand. Serving is my top priority.
It is just an opinion. You do your thing. I will add is that if you are worried about being “looked down” upon the problem isn’t with the military, but it may be with your faith in your beliefs. But, bottom line, your religious beliefs are safe.

GodofAeons

It is just an opinion. You do your thing. I will add is that if you are worried about being “looked down” upon the problem isn’t with the military, but it may be with your faith in your beliefs. But, bottom line, your religious beliefs are safe.

Oh not worried about looking down upon -i just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get in legal trouble, be passed up on promotions etc because of it.

My beliefs are mine and my own. Nothing negative about them, they're Norse Pagan.

But, I come from the south where bigotry is hard against any non-christian beliefs.so I'm used to prejudice against it

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Oh not worried about looking down upon -i just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get in legal trouble, be passed up on promotions etc because of it.

My beliefs are mine and my own. Nothing negative about them, they're Norse Pagan.

But, I come from the south where bigotry is hard against any non-christian beliefs.so I'm used to prejudice against it
You’ll be fine. I come from the south as well...just tell the rednecks to pipe down!

Mos

None
Are you asking to wear an arm band in uniform? It matters.

Don't expect a decision in a day. Think months.
Probably why he's asking months in advance.

You already said somewhere else here that you're pagan, so the cat is kind of already out of the bag. When someone asks for a religious accommodation, people are going to be curious, perhaps more so in an internet forum. In real life, YMMV, though I don't find many people are interested in what I believe unless it's the chaplain or someone whose religion encourages proselytization.

GodofAeons

You’ll be fine. I come from the south as well...just tell the rednecks to pipe down!

Haha thank you. I'm not use to a workplace that isn't shoving down Jesus in everyone's throats or weekly "prayer meetings" while going over reports.

I'll gladly wear my pagan badge with honor. Thank you

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I kind of thought religion was a "don't ask don't tell" type attitude

It is most definitely not, and no matter what anyone says, be ready to have Christianity thrown at you at every official command ceremony. Everything starts with an invocation from the Chaplain as an official part of the ceremony.

But yeah, the military doesn't push a certain religion on anyone. :rolleyes:

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
It is most definitely not, and no matter what anyone says, be ready to have Christianity thrown at you at every official command ceremony. Everything starts with an invocation from the Chaplain as an official part of the ceremony.

But yeah, the military doesn't push a certain religion on anyone. :rolleyes:
I believe you were issued a faith by the Corps. Since you signed for it I recommend you stick with “it.” ?

FinkUFreaky

pilot
When I was at OCS they were very accommodating with religious preferences. Talk to your class officer when you get there and they should be able to help you out. You can definitely do a private commissioning ceremony before the full class. There were a handful of people that did that in my class.

Yes private commisioning ceremonies are a thing, and I could about guarantee this would need to be one of those. And while the presenting of the arm band would be a bit "different," this coming from someone who has only done the commision oath for one other person (older brother that checked into OCS when I was checking out, we did a private ceremony before the real one) (oh yes, I did indeed mess it up.... Not on purpose... So had to do it twice) your class officer should be willing to accomodate the ceremony as long as there are no changes to the oath etc. I do say "should" as I've never been a class O at OCS...

Yes, you will meet some Christians that like to spread the faith in the military, or at least are outgoing about it. Not a big deal. There will be times to bow your head and pray (for example, at your commisioning ceremony, after you already did your private one if that works out). Bow your head with the rest... Nobody, especially not promotion boards, will care what religion you follow though.