• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rejected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahler

Someone help me out here, because I'm having a hard time grasping this concept....

A Navy recruiter, someone who is sent to school to learn how to lie and manipulate, and to do everything in thier power to try to persuade an individual who shows the smallest intrest in joining the military to sign their life away to the Navy, is trying to keep a qualified, ambitious, ready to sign on the line candidate from being accepted to a community that is activly seeking all the people it can get do to personel shortages???
What the hell is going on here???

James

Dave Shutter

quote: someone who is sent to school to learn how to lie and manipulate...

In all fairness I wouldn't quite say that's what they learn in school! As much as I have to say about recruiters (3 boneheads from two services now) I wouldn't damn them all as a group, they've got to get up and go do a job everyday just like everyone. That said I would say that your going to have bad apples mixed in there with the guys that are straight shooters so you have to watch out; problem is they all have the same smile.

I showed up for Boot Camp all pissed off because I didn't get an E-2 stripe for getting my friend to join (that's an extra $100 a month over two years) because recruiter #1 didn't send in the right paperwork, Oh and he lost my High School diploma. But when I got there I met about a dozen guys who were "just there temporarily until their orders for computer school/language shcool/flight school came through" so I didn't feel too bad, at least I got the actual job I wanted. Recruiter #2 told me my scores were good enough for pilot, I should have seen that one coming. Now, I desperately need recruiter #3's help in re-applying but he seems to have better things to do. Do your own homework if you want to join. Don't take everything he says as gospel, he may be BS'ing you or it might be that the endless stream of rules and reg's are changing daily and it's impossible to keep up. Sites like this are great for info but what's even better is going out and talking to non-recruiting Officers face to face, (ie: pilots at airshows) odds are they'll tell you about the whole picture, not just the one side of it.

Oh, for those of you that might be curious, Gunner's recruiter's other applicant down in KC who was in the same boat as me, well ETC Gustafson had him re-tested ASAP, bought up his score, re-applied and what do you know: he was selected for SNA this week.

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 07/01/2001 00:48:18

2fast12

Hey guys how's it going? I've been away for awhile and haven't been able to get to a computer. Last I talked to you all I had gotten DQ'd for some past injuries and just wanted to get you all up to date since some of you have felt or are feeling the pain of the Navy's scrutiny on applications.

My first issue I had to deal with was a ruptured achilles I had in 4/99 from college football. I had returned to finish the season as a starter and had required a signature of approval from my doctor stating that my injury had healed and that my foot and ankle had full range of motion before I could play. But the Navy stated that I needed something more recent. So I had to go to two therapists and pass several requirements set forth by the ADA in order to get the letter for my resubmission.

Next I have to deal with my kidney stone that I had eleven years ago! It happened my sophomore year of spring training in high school. So now I have to do a 24 hour urinalysis test and two other tests showing that I don't contain certain enzymes in my kidneys. Just saw a urologist for a basic urinalysis and let me tell you, my rectal exam felt just magnificent. (Remember Fletch in the doctor's office bent over singing Moon River?) The whole time I'm thinking that this is a foreshadow of what's to come from all of this shit. Still I am driven to see what comes of all of it.

The navy Medical Advisor, (Dr. Freeman I believe is his name), told my recruiter that if my tests come back negative then he will recommend a waiver. My recruiter said she can't guarantee anything but that when the Medical Advisor recommends a waiver it usually gets accepted. I hope she is right. Does anyone have any insight on all of this? Any success stories to brighten my day?

James

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
James, I don't have any insight into any of this, but best of luck getting it all straightened out!

spidrwmn

Well,I have decided to put SWO as my first choice ( as soon as I get my butt in gear and take the ASTB) , but I had kidney stones ( once) my freshman year - I am a junior now. Will I have to get a waiver or is that only for aviation ( NFO is my second choice? Thanks!!

- spider

2fast12

Nikki, I would like to tell you what all the doctors I have went to that were prior Navy told me, don't tell them about it, but that could be costly down the line if the Navy finds out about the stones. I have HEARD that hiding medical history is a big deal and that it has gotten people expelled from OCS.

Like I said before, my recruiter told me she spoke directly to the Medical Advisor on the phone and he told her what tests I needed done and if they came back with the right answer then he would definitely recommend a waiver. She said his word goes a long way but that it could still be denied by the people at OCS. So to answer your question, I believe this is just so I can get into the Navy as an officer. I hope I shed some light for you.

James

Jack

Having read all of your horror stories I commend the determination all of you are exhibiting. Keep pressing and things are bound to work out.

As a side note to anyone currently in high school who is thinking about flight school or any other officer program - if you have any say in the matter choose NROTC or the Acadamey. Most of the unfortunate beurocratic red-tape is taken care of for you when it comes time for physicals and selection packages. This is by no means meant as knock on OCS guys - being a good officer is based on so much more than your commissioning source. My point is that if you have the oppurtunity to participate in ROTC,take it, much of the above heartache can be avoided.

Good luck to all of you.

jec

ghost_ttu

I'm reading through these old post trying to find similar instances of my current situation. Basically my package was sent on a Thur. the following Wed. they called needing my depth perception arc value and told me that I would be selected by the end of the day. Well I called back with the value and they said there was an issue because I was on probation for a speeding ticket and I couldn't be considered till the end of that probation. So I called the court and had them dismiss the ticket, and the following Tuesday (yesterday) that dismissal was faxed to Tennessee to be with my package. Now last week my recruiter told me soon as they get that fax they could make a selection and we would know something Tuesday or Wednesday. Today he tells me we might not hear back until 23 May because they have to do a mini background check (on my driver's license) and check OCS dates. And then after the background and OCS date appointment comes back they call and give an assignment. And that they can't give a rejection any faster. Now does all of this sound on the up and up? The reason I ask, I have read multiple comments on people being selected within a week, and even for my recruiter to say we will know something by Wed. or whatever. I guess I'm just not seeing the stories in matching up and wondering if anyone has any advice or if everyone thinks the information might be solid?

ghost_ttu

Thanks, my head is up, I'm just wondering how hard I should push. I did send an email basically saying if rejected how soon can I send another application. Told him I appologize for sounding negative but I want to be as offensive as possible and get back into the process as quick as possible. Basically just a "I'm not going away" email. I think I'm going to go under the "take care of the person who screams the loudest" policy. And also do it in a tactful way to keep from pissing him off.

Dave Shutter

WOW! Someone did some real digging to unearth this artifact of a thread! Makes me nostalgic to see myself whining all those months ago!

I may have some bad news for you if you find yourself in the "Reject" box, but this is just my experience. My first choice was SNA, (I'm sure my recruiters got a nasty-gram from CNRC on this one) but my PBI was a 3, min' is a 4 non-waiverable. Why they even sent it in the first place (huge waste of my time) is still a mystery to me. From day one my rec' knew it was pilot or nothing. If he had been honest with me when I pulled in a 3 PBI on the ASTB I could have re-tested and re-submitted and still probably would have been selected earlier than I did, but no, instead of taking the time and energy to help me get what I want he tried to rope me into an NFO slot.

My 1'st SNA app. went in, was promtly rejected, and then something shocking happened: IT WENT DOWN THE HALL TO EVERY SINGLE COMMUNITY FOR REVIEW. It took weeks to come back and you can't do anything until it does! No re-test, no re-submit, nothing! Why this happened I don't know, I was just told after the fact that: "It's standard procedure!" Even though I was calling them up every day and screaming: "I don't want to be a friggin' AMDO guy!"

It came back rejected for everything else, no loss there, and as soon as I was told the bad news my rec' thanked me for my interest in the Navy and basically hung up on me! I had to twist every arm in the office to let me re-test and re-submit and about five months later when that finally happened It went back in and a few weeks later I was selected, when my scores were actually high enough: imagine that sh*t!!

First your app. goes to the "Pro-review" board as it's called. This determines your intitial qualifications as an Officer. These people don't care that you have your PPL and your Daddy is a retired A-6 driver, they're looking at your GPA, work history and latters. After this speed-bump you go to the selection board for your first choice of community, a selection board made up of Aviators, and then look more finely into your app. and they make their decision. How picky they are generaly depends on how many holes they need filled but no ammount of need will make them overlook certain things.

I'm all done with my Oharp stint and never got a count on how many SNA's/NFO's they need this FY, how far under quota they are or how strict selections have been but I have heard that didn't come anywhere near quota last FY and they just did away with the PBI grade which is great news. If I had to quess I'd say they're still very needy this year and as long as you have no major red-flags you should get in.

Good luck!

ghost_ttu

Thanks Dave:

Yes, I do try to atleast do a search on things before I just ask a question out of the blue. I do feel positive about my application, I'm just pushy and I'll relax when I get a positive answer All of my scores are above the minimums for SNA and I'm qualified in every aspect, but given that it is still a subjective board, I stay weary of what could happen. So I'd rather just keep my rec informed that I'm not going away until I'm too old to come back *laughs* Congrats on finishing OCS Dave.

2fast12

Wow! Great news to tell you guys. After taking the test on January 26, 2001, getting rejected, doing all the tests and getting all the documents...I AM GOING TO OCS NEXT MARCH AS A SNA!! You all were right. The perseverance paid off. It took almost a year-and-a-half but I finally made it. Thanks for all the support.

James

ghost_ttu

Congrates James!

I got an email telling me that they expect to hear something after 4:30pm today, so hopefully I'll hear something today or tomorrow. Do you mind me asking what was the nature of your first rejection?

Status
Not open for further replies.