• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rejected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

Oh man, it never ends! Here's a perfect example of what this topic is all about. Remember this...

quote: One good piece of info he did give me (and this may be a ray of hope for some of you) is that SNFO was "re-opened" due to drastic shortages...

...well I spoke to the senior Officer at my post today and she contradicted what my recruiter said; that NFO was never closed out (it's always hurting) and that SNA WAS RE-OPENED DUE TO DRASTIC SHORTAGES! Can they be any more clueless?! Anyway, that's even better news for me! I asked her about re-testing of course and she gave me the same speech about lying on the BI test, and a new one: even if I did pass and get accepted that the conflicting BI scores would then be a "major red flag in OCS" and that I would have to go through extensive questioning, interviewing and red tape because of it(?) Anyway I basically demanded to re-test so I will schedule one tommorrow. Also, since I was officially a "non-selectee" I have to do a completely new package, but after a quick round of questioning we determined that that just means all new reference letters. The fun never ends.

D

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Great to hear man keep at it!!!You can get through any red tape they put in front of you all you have to do is want it bad it enough.

2fast12

Geez Dave! I don't feel so bad after hearing all that! I guess you're in the same boat as I am. You just have to ask yourself if it's all worth it. I think we would all have the same answer to that or else we wouldn't be doing it all. Keep on it!

James

Jeff29

Science Project
Dave,

I just took the ASTB yesterday. I passed everything, but was a bit dissappointed in my scores. However, just to show you how arbitrary they are:

I was given the explanation that the AQR and the OAR scores are supposed to indicate how well you will do academically at OCS and through flight school, and the BI is used to predict the attrition rate in both programs. I got a 5 on the AQR (average), and 40 on the OAR (a bit below average), and a 5 on the BI (average). This would indicate that I should have performed at or below average during OCS. In a class of 39, I was first academically and fourth overall. Additionally, almost all of the people who rolled out of my class were guys headed to API who supposedly did well on the ASTB.

As far as lying on the BI, there are obviously several questions that are cut and dry, but I'd say that 10 to 15 of the questions could change depending on your mood.

Finally, as far as the "red flag at OCS", the interviews, red tape, etc., I think that's just an excuse. I never heard one mention of the test. Once you're in, you're in. The staff at OCS has more to worry about than what everyone's BI scores were. You perform well, and no one will think twice. It's like once you got into college, did anyone really care what you did in high school?

Good Luck,

Jeff

P.S. Next up for me is the real test--the flight physical (PRK waiver and orthopedic issues).

Walker

Two things, I took the atsb twice since i didn't meet the min. the first time on the pilot bi. My recruiter said that they might question me about it , but i never heard anything after that(of course my recruiter never mentioned ACES to me either , I had to find out about it on my own) Also, Jeff I was under the impression that if you go to OCS with an SNA designator number that the first physical you would get would be your flight physical.Whats the story on the physicals?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:re-test so I will schedule one tommorrow. ... The fun never ends.

Dave, best of luck.

Dave Shutter

quote:...and a 5 on the BI...(average).

A 5 is average!? Damn, no wonder I got shuffled, that probably laughed at my 3! Best of luck on your physical and eye test!

Thanx John, and that was a nice E-mail 2, a shining example of the intelligence of the average hostess in the retaurant biz these days, BTW send it to Vicki, I'm curious as to what she'll add?

D

Jeff29

Science Project
Dave,
Actually, I think a 4.5 is average (50th percentile). If I were you, I'd just go take the test again. If you ultimately decide to not pursue an aviation career, let it be your own decision, not an arbitrary decision made by some beaurocrat just looking at the numbers.

Walker,
I am currently an officer in a staff community applying for a transfer to aviation, so when I went through OCS, I did not need a flight physical.

--Jeff

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:BTW send it to Vicki, I'm curious as to what she'll add?

Dave, go ahead and send it to her.

Dave Shutter

Will do...back to the application; I forgot to mention this too, about the senjior recruiter I talked to the other day. After five minutes of her basically explaining that there was no point in my re-applying, that I was done, she gave in and said I could re-test. She said if did re-test and "somehow" score higher on the BI that they would send it in, but that she would have to attach a letter highlighting the "conflicting scores" along with their recomendation to the review board.

...What the %$@*&?!

It isn't enough that I'm jumping through and endless stream of hoops, but now my own recruiters are trying to sabotage me too!

D

Jeff29

Science Project
Dave,

The guy who administers the test here in San Diego is a former Chief and has been working (as a civilian) in the recruiting office for over 15 years. I'm going to stop in and see him in the next few days and I'll ask him about "highlighting conflicting scores" and your recruiters "recommedation". It sounds bogus to me. How can someone who doesn't even know you write a recommendation? The only thing they know about you is that you're persistent, and you don't give up on your goals. If they write any more than that, then it would seem that they are overstepping their bounds. Their job is not to give rulings on applications. Their sole job is to give you every opportunity to reach your goal of becoming a pilot, period.

Take Care.

Jeff

2fast12

Dave,
Just talked to my recruiter and told her about your problems and what your recruiter has told you. She really doesn't understand their methods and wonders why you are being told what you are. Just doesn't seem like they're on you're side there, that they're not doing all that they can for you. I'm not sure on the specifics, but is there any other officer recruiting office that you could go to?

James

gunnerdd972

Dave,
I also just talked to my recruiter, he said that they have a person in your same situation, like you said. One person did not make the BIO by one point. That person retook the test and passed it. His Pilot package is in front of the review board as I am typing this. My recuriter said that he did not send the other BIO scores from his other exam. So I would tell your recuriter to go back and get some more training, because you are only getting older

GM2(SW) Hosehead

Dave Shutter

Gunner: I know who your talking about! I talked to your guy in KC, SRC Gustafson, and he told me all about him! I want an update on him if you can as soon as something happens! I just scheduled to re-test this 28'th, time to start studying yet again! Now that they're re-taking SNA app's maybe I'll get lucky!

Now, I can understand their lack of enthusiasm for me, I did get rejected on my own merits (or lack therof) but if there's still an oppurtunity for me, however slim, then they should be helping me to pursue it!
It seems like they've just given up, want me to go away, and now seem to be working against me, constantly telling me there's no point in going on. They may be right, or it may be that they just don't want to do anything either? I don't think any one recruiter there has more than four pics on his wall of sworn in OC's for the year. For the record: I have never been able to get a hold of anyone before 9:30, between the hours of 11:00 and 1:00 and so much as one second after 4:30, or after 3:00 on Fridays.

As unhelpful as they've been for me I'm actually glad they are were they're at. It could be worse; fate could have had them somewhere else in time, like say, running the country during WWII: I can imagine them sitting around a table: "Aw man, Damn! The Nazi's own Europe, the U-boats have the Atlantic boxed in and the Jap's just wasted our Pacific fleet! Sh*t, what a bummer! I guess we have to give up now and let the Axis rule the world? Oh well, as long as we don't miss our BBQ this weekend!"

Wish me luck

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 06/07/2001 22:49:28

beau

Damn dave,

Ouch!.....that felt nasty as my brain digested your last post. I wish I was at liberty to speak so freely. I'm so glad I dont have to put up with recruiters as a MIDN. It sounds like one big crap shoot.......like being told to run 30 yards of machine gun fire and hey.....if you make it your in! I guess a lesson to be learned through all of this is always watch your back and never stop trying......Good luck Dave

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.