• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

recreational flying

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
gator, my question about the Quantico Flying Club got kinda left behind. As stated, The site lists one at Shannon Airport, and one at the MCAF. Is it a joint club, seperate? Anyone else know?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gator, my question about the Quantico Flying Club got kinda left behind. As stated, The site lists one at Shannon Airport, and one at the MCAF. Is it a joint club, seperate? Anyone else know?
Not sure what you mean by "joint" club, but flying clubs, regardless of their identifier (i.e. Navy, AF, Marine) are open to all members of the military (and dependents I think) as well as DoD employees if I remember correctly.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Not left behind, just answered before you asked :icon_tong

zippy said:
they are moving/rehabing the flying club at MCAF right now... last time I checked they were flying out of Shannon.

There is some construction going on at MCAF. Instead of the club not flying at all during this time, they moved their operations down to Shannon for the time being. I'm not sure when everything will be completed, but I'm pretty sure the move is temporary.

invertedflyer

zippy, thanks man... everything is suddenly clear ;) I was wondering what all of that construction was when I was at OCS last summer... makes sense.

Lewie... I was just confused about the location... it appears that they're only temporarily at Shannon. << Member of a flying club at the moment.

invertedflyer

Will I still be able to use the GI Bill (60% reimbursement of flight training costs) while on active duty at Quantico? If so that'll help me train for alot cheaper.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If I were you, I'd save the GI Bill for an actual education down the road, especially when a) the Navy is going to pay for a bunch of your ratings and b) you've already said money isn't an issue.

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
BAD GOUGE!... the academies club got axed by the navy about 4 years ago.. it is now a private flying club www.nafcflying.org They don't have t-34's anymore, its still run like a military club, and the chief pilot is someone you have to meet, Frank Kennedy, LtCol, USMC (ret), flew a-4's and av-8a and b's, now when hes not imbuing knowledge into middies, hes toting around the world in a 747. I also have a buddy who is instructing at NAFC pm me and I'll give you his contact info, but the prices have gone up it's about $60/hr for the 152's from what recall this past sept, but avgas is clicking the dial at $4/gal.

invertedflyer

Unfortunately NAFC is a bit far of a drive for me, thanks for the info and clearing things up though.

Gator,

Probably good advice, although if you'd ask me now I'd say that I don't want to continue my education past my bachelors.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
BAD GOUGE!... the academies club got axed by the navy about 4 years ago.. it is now a private flying club www.nafcflying.org They don't have t-34's anymore, its still run like a military club, and the chief pilot is someone you have to meet, Frank Kennedy, LtCol, USMC (ret), flew a-4's and av-8a and b's, now when hes not imbuing knowledge into middies, hes toting around the world in a 747. I also have a buddy who is instructing at NAFC pm me and I'll give you his contact info, but the prices have gone up it's about $60/hr for the 152's from what recall this past sept, but avgas is clicking the dial at $4/gal.

Thanks for clearing that up, as I said its been about 3 years since Ive been there. I'll agree Kennedy is quite the wild man... and the one I previously mentioned landed one of our t-34's wheels up...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Will I still be able to use the GI Bill (60% reimbursement of flight training costs) while on active duty at Quantico? If so that'll help me train for alot cheaper.
Short answer: Yes. However, the monthly amount you are entitled to is less when you are on active duty compared to if you used your benefits after you left the service. Don't ask me why. It's just the way it is. Also, "flight training" costs can mean a lot of different things. Make sure you know what is covered before you start (read: call the VA).

Gatordev said:
If I were you, I'd save the GI Bill for an actual education down the road, especially when a) the Navy is going to pay for a bunch of your ratings and b) you've already said money isn't an issue.
Wholeheartedly agree. Get the GI Bill top up (extra $600 bucks) and then wait till you get out of the service to use any of it. When I came in the Navy in 1992, I paid $1200 for 14K worth of benefits. It's now worth around 30K (and that's after using some benefits).

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
hey xmid when were you there, I heard the stories, but never really talked about it, I got there spring of 03, and was in and out till summer 04.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Probably good advice, although if you'd ask me now I'd say that I don't want to continue my education past my bachelors.

I can totally relate, and still basically feel that way, but I can imagine opportunities where I might want something more.

invertedflyer

Thanks for the advice Lewie. I called the VA and they basically said that you send them invoices of your flight expenses every month and they reimburse 60% of it. I didn't ask about the differences between the reserve and active side, there might be some subtleties that I missed. I'll research it further.

invertedflyer

zippy beat you to it Mafesto ;) thanks though. The confusion was over where the club was... which is now temporarily at Shannon.