• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

recreational flying

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Inverted,

You must be a product of Fred Zolts and the crew at March. I have a couple hundred hours in 55ZZ, and instructed for some time in NASNI's -34Bs. If you choose to spend money on a Navy Flying Club -34B, you'll be severely shocked at the material condition compared to what you've been flying. Go look at NASNI's 34, it's typical of the breed. March has access to support for their Aero Club that the Navy can only dream about. Ah...the Air Force...

It sounds like you've got several hundred (thousand) dollars to blow while awaiting TBS. My recommendation rather than burning holes in the sky for fun, or "acro", go get an instrument rating. Even in you don't complete the rating, it'll give you more (aviation) situational awareness in flight school than rolling around in a Pitts. (Albeit not near as much fun.)

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Stearmann, great advice my fried. Yes, I am in fact a product of the March club. I saw Fred a couple nights ago and hes actually going to be my instructor for our next flight because the main T-34 instructor is out of town. I definitely agree about the instrument rating...its something I've been wanting to work on for a while. I'm conflicted because, if I wanted to work on my Instrment rating, I'd have to leave the T-34s and go back to Riverside to fly the 172s, or go over to the T-41s at March. I can't seem to find an FBO that has Archers, Sierras, or Bonanzas with which I can work towards my rating. I know it might sound lame, but I really prefer low wing over high wing. Its hard to leave the T-34s, but it seems that overall its a better choice for my career. I'll find something and start pumping away towards my IR, its a smart move and I've been planning on it.

The Academy's flying club no longer operates the T-34Bs, and until someone tells me different Pax River's club doesn't either, although they have pics of one on their website. What I plan to do while at TBS is go up in the Archer at Pax River's club and work on my Instrument rating. The instructor fee is almost half that of Manasass and It'd be the right area for my hard earned dollars. Thanks again.

I primarily fly 56ZZ, I believe 55ZZ is only Fred's to fly now... but we got a new T-34 in and we're working on getting it painted. ;)

invertedflyer

Ok, so I'm a bit confused w/regard to the Quantico Flying Club. According to the website, theres one at the MCAF, but it lists the club as being down at Shannon Airport in Fredericksburg. It also lists the club as falling under the G.I. Bill's flight reimbursement program... so is it a joint club between shannon and MCAF... or are they two seperate flying clubs?

Regardless, it seems that the club at Shannon has a Piper Arrow... so I'm gonna go ahead and do my Instrument stuff there... the drive to PAX River is way too long.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Isn't the Arrow complex? Seems like that's adding expense. Let me backpedal. Do what you want to do, but seems like there could be a less expensive way to train.

invertedflyer

There is definitely a cheaper way to train...However I far prefer low wing over high wing... so my other option is a Warrior. I do have my Complex rating though... so I definitely want to utilize that. I'll be receiving about $3,000/month (O-1 > 4 yrs) ... with low expenses I can afford to spend a few hundred per month on flying. I may find that the cheaper option is better though... I've got factor in the $33/hr. instructor fee.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't know all the in's and out's, but does it really matter whether you're "utilizing" the complex rating? I'm asking an honest question. Maybe there's some FAR benefit?

invertedflyer

No FAR benefit... just prefer to fly faster and deal with a similar set of systems to the T-34As that I'm flying right now.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Inverted, don't think I'm trying to attack your preferences, just putting some food for thought...

If you're doing the instrument flying for more than just your own enjoyment/satisfaction, like preparing for flight school, I wouldn't spend the money on something that's "like the T-34A." Unless the -34 has been upgraded, it's going to be a lot different from the C model, so it's not like it's going to be a big help. The training itself is what will help.

I just hate to see someone part w/ their money when they don't need to. Again, enjoy what you do, and if you can afford it, great.

invertedflyer

I just hate to see someone part w/ their money when they don't need to. Again, enjoy what you do, and if you can afford it, great.

Well I certainly don't value money enough thats for sure... I know you're not taking issue with my preferences, merely providing useful suggestions (which I appreciate). I'd certainly enjoy flying a Warrior or Arrow as opposed to a Cessna... It would definitely cost me more, but my expenses per month will be literally around $1000. I'm going to save most of the rest... but spending $400 or less per month will still give me plenty left over to save.

What I meant with regard to the systems wasn't literally the avionics/engine/ etc. I meant more of getting used to raising/lowering the gear, as well as dealing with manifold pressure in conjuction w/Tach and cycling the prop.

I've been flying myself into debt since high school... its a tradition ;)

I guess if you get C-130s, you're screwed...

;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What I meant with regard to the systems wasn't literally the avionics/engine/ etc. I meant more of getting used to raising/lowering the gear, as well as dealing with manifold pressure in conjuction w/Tach and cycling the prop.

Ahh, okay. To an extent, that makes sense. Of course what you'll be flying in the TRACOM and/or fleet is much simpler than manifold and tachs. PCL goes forward, noise gets louder. So simple, even a caveman can do it. (smiles in effect).

invertedflyer

Yeah but you know you laugh at it Steve ;)

Gator,

I did some time in an F/A-18 sim at Miramar once... I was a little awestruck by how little I had to do to fly the airplane :) The HUD really threw me for a loop... I was so used to running my typical scan and looking down alot... man it was cool!