• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

recreational flying

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I checked out the flying club's website, it didn't seem that they had T-34s listed under their aircraft section. That and the field is 45 minutes plus from Quantico. If they do have T-34s it'd be worth the drive though.

They did when I was there. Just give them a call or shoot an email to one of the contacts.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
They had 2 Bravo's if I remember correctly. They may have traded/sold them, but you'd have to check with them on that. Its been a while. One was landed gear up by a Marine harrier pilot and was in the shop for a couple years when I was there...:eek: You might want to check around for a mid that is checked out in their T-34's to split the time with rather than paying an instructor. You could ask DanMav or someone thats there right now to post a bulletin on the LAN to find someone. Hit up the Bay Bridge Airport or Easton for a hundred dollar hamburger. You see alot of cool things fly in to Easton, L-39's, Migs, and such. Have fun and stay safe.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Easton, noted my friend, noted. I'll call the club sometime this week and see if they're still flying those -34Bs... It'd also be great to split time with someone... I hope the Naval Academy club doesn't have the same 200 hr. minimum to solo their -34s that the air force aero clubs have.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I'm a member of the Ft Meade Flying Activity (it's about an hours drive from Quantico at Tipton Airport), they fly T-41s (a Cessna 172 with 200 hp!). If you're looking to stick with T-34A's, I know that the Naval Academy Flying Club (out of Lee Airport) flies them. I'm not sure if you have to be a midshipman, or if they allow active duty members...

Umm, it's 60 miles from Quantico to FtMeade so while theoretically possible it won't work out that way much unless you're really careful to go with low traffic times (0100 to 0130 here :)) . The Navy club did allow active duty members last time I was down there which has been at least three years.

Here's a link to the Ft Meade club http://www.fortmeadeflyingactivity.org/

The other one to consider that is further but much less painful to get to is the Pax River club http://www.nawcad.navy.mil/flyingclub/ AND they have a YAK-50!

invertedflyer

You just struck gold Pugs, is it a two seater by any chance? I was hoping to do some "aero" to get acclimatized and build up g-tolerance. I started doing some training in a Pitts out here in Cali, but my instructor ended up selling his plane much to my dismay :( Thanks for the links.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was hoping to do some "aero" to get acclimatized and build up g-tolerance.

Don't bother unless you just want to blow the money. G-tolerance is not something that sticks with you. If you don't pull G's for a few days or weeks (depends on your experience level and tolerance), you go back to square-one.

invertedflyer

Good advice... admittedly I just love doing "aero" and can thinking of no better way to spend my time (or pay) while on libo at TBS... other than drinking and stealing Navy Officer's bicycles ofcourse.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
You just struck gold Pugs, is it a two seater by any chance? :( Thanks for the links.

From the pics on the site it looks like a single seater which likely means the checkout critera are likely pretty high but it's worth asking about anyway.

invertedflyer

Yeah I shot them an e-mail inquiring about it... I don't have any taildragger time to speak of really, and they probably require more hours than I've acquired. Like you said though, worth a shot.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Don't bother unless you just want to blow the money. G-tolerance is not something that sticks with you. If you don't pull G's for a few days or weeks (depends on your experience level and tolerance), you go back to square-one.

Not to mention that if you are practicing for the T-34...you are reeeeally wasting you time. Just do the hick like they teach you and you shouldn't have any problems as long as you don't fast or dehydrate yourself or do something equally retarded preflight.