• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Teaching in the sim this afternoon (FAA approved AATD) - not fancy, but its certified/loggable instrument time and it works! (Not to mention cheap/free)

View attachment 27143

If you log it as total time or anything other than FTD time and apply for an airline, you will be laughter out of the interview. Airlines don’t even count level D simulators as anything other than simulator, never any type of flight time.

I know you did say log as flight time.

What is acceptable to log for instrument training currency by the FAA is different than what is flight time.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If you log it as total time or anything other than FTD time and apply for an airline, you will be laughter out of the interview. Airlines don’t even count level D simulators as anything other than simulator, never any type of flight time.

What is acceptable to log for instrument training currency by the FAA is different than what is flight time.
There’s more to flying than the SHOW! ?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I know.

When I flew corporate, they wouldn’t count it either..

And under the other than The Show category... going on an hour flight in a PBY-5A this Saturday to include a water landing and takeoff in Kaneohe Bay.
I had no idea the SHOW was so cruel. The PBY flight sounds fantastic. Is it typically something offered on the islands?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
There is at least one active TH-57 with a water landing, modex 080 if I remember, although it wasn't logged as such. You'd have to ask an ASO and then they'd have to dig a bit for the report... but the information is out there.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Affirm and agree. I'm giving instrument instruction under Part 61 for initial instrument rating. Under the new Part 61 rules, an applicant can do half of the 40 hours of required instrument time in a certified AATD. Its a huge cost savings for my students...

And for my equity share owners of 206 and 182's, pilots can maintain 6 approaches and a hold in past 180 day currency - and its legal currency and not proficiency but it gets the job done.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Finally got my Flight Review and C-185 check out. Did it with a buddy in his C-185E. Awesome plane. Sorry. No pics. Having too much fun. Don't even remember what avionics it had. Custom panel with EFIS attitude gyro with altitude and speed tapes. EFIS DG some sort of Garmin GPS with ADSB that audibly calls out traffic. Robertson STOL kit with droop ailerons when flaps deployed and VGs. Found some of that dirt. A great place I never had been at. East of Coolidge, Jamison Tanks. Maybe what @Deere1450 had in mind. Endless touch and goes. Never over a couple hundred feet on the go. Just a 45 degree turn and back around tear drop. One way, then the other. Slight crosswind. Turning on the one wheel roll out to avoid bushes. Tons of fun. Now back to my 65 HP Luscombe.

Deere1450

pilot
Finally got my Flight Review and C-185 check out. Did it with a buddy in his C-185E. Awesome plane. Sorry. No pics. Having too much fun. Don't even remember what avionics it had. Custom panel with EFIS attitude gyro with altitude and speed tapes. EFIS DG some sort of Garmin GPS with ADSB that audibly calls out traffic. Robertson STOL kit with droop ailerons when flaps deployed and VGs. Found some of that dirt. A great place I never had been at. East of Coolidge, Jamison Tanks. Maybe what @Deere1450 had in mind. Endless touch and goes. Never over a couple hundred feet on the go. Just a 45 degree turn and back around tear drop. One way, then the other. Slight crosswind. Turning on the one wheel roll out to avoid bushes. Tons of fun. Now back to my 65 HP Luscombe.
East of the town or the airport? Don’t recognize the name. Sounds like a blast!

Deere1450

pilot
East of the town or the airport? Don’t recognize the name. Sounds like a blast!
Looked on the map. I know what you’re talking about now. I’ve had many a desert party out there in high school. Family farm just on the west side of the canal.