• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How did the 185 fly vs the 170? Feel like you were flying a dump truck?
A very powerful dump truck. When playing on the dirt never even went to full power on the goes. Just add power until it does what you want it to do. Nothing more. Not used to that. Big vertical stab results in 15 it max x-wind. Very heavy elevator trim as it is moves the horizontal stab not a tab. Lot less viz over the nose on the deck then the 170, Maule, Champ, T-craft, Beech 18, or Citabria.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Affirm and agree. I'm giving instrument instruction under Part 61 for initial instrument rating. Under the new Part 61 rules, an applicant can do half of the 40 hours of required instrument time in a certified AATD. Its a huge cost savings for my students...

And for my equity share owners of 206 and 182's, pilots can maintain 6 approaches and a hold in past 180 day currency - and its legal currency and not proficiency but it gets the job done.

I meant to say did not say log as flight time.

I agree they are great for instrument currency. In many ways better than the airplane because you can safely cause malfunctions. Cheaper too.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Was able to knock out my flight review today. It was fun and informative and the CFI worked me well beyond the basics of LSA flying. Good training.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was able to knock out my flight review today. It was fun and informative and the CFI worked me well beyond the basics of LSA flying. Good training.
Good. So we are on the same schedule. Mark your calendar and remind me, or tell siri to remind me, mine is due in two years. When is your medical due? Could use a reminder for that too.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
PBY-5A flight this morning. It flew WW2 for RCAF 162 Squadron and sunk U-342 in April 1942.

Took off from HNL, flew along the coast to Kaneohe Bay, water touch and go, back along the coast to HNL. About an hour. It was awesome. Wish I could have gotten in the pilot's seat...

Kaneohe Bay Marine Corps Base

Seaplane ramps at Kaneohe Bay

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Used my fresh “BFR” to fly down to Topping VA for brunch. This nice PT-19 was giving rides...

Just before I got there a couple came in this!

It has a fancy glass cockpit and all the trimmings. They got out of their nice, air conditioned Bell and I flopped out of my Tecnam looking like a fat guy after a gym session.

Nice ship if you can afford it! All in all a decent day of flying.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You should have pulled a “Do you know who I am?” and the flashed your Navy wings.

NFO wings? Those didn't exist in PBY-land.

The guy arranging the flights here is a Hawaiian A330 FO. When he introduced me around it was as a "senior Hawaiian A330 Captain who flew P-3s in the Navy" so they knew my background. It didn't impress them. Paying $4000/hour to fly in the their right seat with their instructor in the left might have made a dent in their opinion but my "credentials" won't pay their bills.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Got in a decent one hour hop yesterday. Too milky and humid for any good photos, but i got a good look at the Marine Corps Citation Jet (he took off from JB Andrews as I left VKX). Nice looking bizjet, very glossy with black emblems, I assume it is the commandant's ride.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I planned on going yesterday evening so I could get a sortie in before I start a week of reserve. But the rain came in earlier than expected. So I just drank beer instead!