• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

jmcquate

Contributor
Odd thing. The 18 years I've been down here, including 7 years living a 1/2 block from the Potomac in Old Town, don't remember ever having bug issues. That includes many spring and summer lunches on the porch at the Belvoir OClub.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Odd thing. The 18 years I've been down here, including 7 years living a 1/2 block from the Potomac in Old Town, don't remember ever having bug issues. That includes many spring and summer lunches on the porch at the Belvoir OClub.
I'm guessing the sting was referring to jellyfish/nettles vice bugs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm guessing the sting was referring to jellyfish/nettles vice bugs.

Bingo.

They go away by the Tidewater, and instead you have mostly Moon Jellies, which aren't that big a deal. Up north, by the Sassafrass, you have fresh water, so they aren't there. But in the center, the sea nettles can be fierce.

All that said, the mosquitoes can still be quite fierce in the unpopulated tributaries. I'm looking at you, Rappahonnock...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
"Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer."
A tiger shark is nothing...it’s when the terrapins and bay crabs come that it gets scary.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Bingo.

They go away by the Tidewater, and instead you have mostly Moon Jellies, which aren't that big a deal. Up north, by the Sassafrass, you have fresh water, so they aren't there. But in the center, the sea nettles can be fierce.

All that said, the mosquitoes can still be quite fierce in the unpopulated tributaries. I'm looking at you, Rappahonnock...

You've never experienced mosquitoes until you spent time in Chincoteague. Not sure if there is a secret nuke facility they are hiding on the Eastern Shore of VA, but those things are giants.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You've never experienced mosquitoes until you spent time in Chincoteague.

No doubt. I will say that in a cove off the inter-coastal near Hilton Head was a time that I fled from mosquitoes that rivaled anything on the Chesapeake. It was so bad, I gave up trying to get back to the cabin I slept in on the sail boat we lived on and just slept in the main cabin that night. You would get mobbed if you unzipped the screen ever so slightly!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Fun times here at the local field on a Thursday morning - N444Y is a locally owned/flown AS365 Dauphin used for shuttling corporate types - they were doing some hover work outside their hangar when low and behold they start cycling the gear - and a mech comes out is tugging on one of the mains to get it to lock. Interesting to watch.

Video below the pic

jmcquate

Contributor
Fun times here at the local field on a Thursday morning - N444Y is a locally owned/flown AS365 Dauphin used for shuttling corporate types - they were doing some hover work outside their hangar when low and behold they start cycling the gear - and a mech comes out is tugging on one of the mains to get it to lock. Interesting to watch.

Video below the pic

View attachment 27111

Reminds me of this

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is that a 365 or a 155? I can never tell from a distance. If it's a 155, that would explain why it immediately broke after takeoff.

ETA: Nevermind, I looked it up and it says 365.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Busy day of doing the CFII thing today - flew into KBAK for a little lunch with my student and to debrief the last 4 approaches. As we were doing our postflight -a big ol' Beech 1900 pulls up next to my aircraft on the ramp with "United States of America" livery - clearly a DOD aircraft. Turns out the DOD designation of this aircraft is C-12J2.

Striking up a conversation with the crew, I learn that the pilots are Department of The Army Civ's and fly with a combination fixed wing/helo aviation detachment out of Aberdeen Proving Grounds. All staffed by DAC's. They were enthusiastic that theirs was a fairly awesome gig. These dudes fly HAZMAT cargo under the callsign TOXIC. Pretty cool. This aircraft was fully retrofitted with modern GA avionics from Garmin - including full G1000. The pilots are all dual rated GS-xx's and fly both the UH-72 and this aircraft and normal C-12's. Good gig indeed.

Chatting further, they tell me that the Navy flies two of these aircraft as well - in the exact cargo configuration as this one - and they are flown and operated by NSW/SEAL folks - and flown by active duty enlisted SEALs with FAA Commercial AMEL certificates and FAA Medicals - but flown in full Navy livery on active duty operational missions.

Again, something I didnt know and interesting!

Great lunch by the way

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Busy day of doing the CFII thing today - flew into KBAK for a little lunch with my student and to debrief the last 4 approaches. As we were doing our postflight -a big ol' Beech 1900 pulls up next to my aircraft on the ramp with "United States of America" livery - clearly a DOD aircraft. Turns out the DOD designation of this aircraft is C-12J2.

Striking up a conversation with the crew, I learn that the pilots are Department of The Army Civ's and fly with a combination fixed wing/helo aviation detachment out of Aberdeen Proving Grounds. All staffed by DAC's. They were enthusiastic that theirs was a fairly awesome gig. These dudes fly HAZMAT cargo under the callsign TOXIC. Pretty cool. This aircraft was fully retrofitted with modern GA avionics from Garmin - including full G1000. The pilots are all dual rated GS-xx's and fly both the UH-72 and this aircraft and normal C-12's. Good gig indeed.

Chatting further, they tell me that the Navy flies two of these aircraft as well - in the exact cargo configuration as this one - and they are flown and operated by NSW/SEAL folks - and flown by active duty enlisted SEALs with FAA Commercial AMEL certificates and FAA Medicals - but flown in full Navy livery on active duty operational missions.

Again, something I didnt know and interesting!

Great lunch by the way

View attachment 27117
The SEALS also have a really nice DH Turbo Otter on amphib floats. Flow, as you noted, by team guys.