• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Nowhere near as nice as @Griz882's pics, but we made a short stop at KGED (no relation to @Brett327) for some damn good sandwiches from Arena's at the Airport. My enigma of a HAC had a MAGA patch on his oversized HSC go-bag, but ordered the veggie burger and much talk about his Vegan ways...I don't know what to think.

View attachment 26133
Did you get a chance to see the B-25 “stationed” there? Called Pancho. Very nice bird.

Notanaviator

Contributor
You can't make America great again without meat. Grilling meat is American and great.

Somewhere, deep in a bunker, Emperor Palpatine senses a disturbance in the force... but then decides it’s just indigestion and tucks back into a warmed over Whopper, and all is right again in the world, if but for a moment.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Fill out a DD 2401 and hope the facility manager likes you! I have done it a few times and received permission three out of four times. You have to have a valid reason like a work appointment...but my standby is veteran visiting PX/NEX. The Navy actually maintains a website to make this easier. I have never tried it at a base that does special stuff like flight testing but I have landed at Langley AFB.

I'll keep this in mind when I'm finally rich enough to afford a T-28C.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Thanks Chuck! Cool paint scheme..

I have been flying my kids all week (Except one day where work and weather didn’t cooperate) . Grabbed a touch and go at NQA this morning.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
RVs look right in quite a few "period" paint schemes. It doesn't hurt that they're clean, fast looking airplanes to begin with. Late WW2/early post-war USN navy blue is another goodie and my second favorite (most favorite is USN interwar gray fuselage and wing bottom/yellow wing top/bright tail, fuselage band, and wing top chevron, but that scheme would be a mismatch for the all-metal RV).

The RV's P-51 tail naturally lends itself to USAAF colors and there are a few of them out there sporting invasion stripes, nose art, or other really great commemorative motifs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The weather has been weird the last two nights, and hard to predict. Hopefully tonight it's more predictable. And by that, I mean just crappy all night.

49977780738_fe5d6d3d48_h.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Garmin GMX 200 MFD, GNS 530 WAAS, GNS 430 WAAS?

Yes, although LNAV only. Plus the weather radar through the GMX (as pictured). I'm assuming we have a WAAS antenna somewhere, but I can't get a straight answer on that, or if we do, why we're supposed to still compute RAIM manually. But whatever.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Yes, although LNAV only. Plus the weather radar through the GMX (as pictured). I'm assuming we have a WAAS antenna somewhere, but I can't get a straight answer on that, or if we do, why we're supposed to still compute RAIM manually. But whatever.
GBAS based LPV will be common soon - classified as true precision approaches!

Death to ILS!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
GBAS based LPV will be common soon - classified as true precision approaches!

The issue is on the airframe software side, unfortunately, for us. There's no way to display glide slope (or whatever it's called that I can't remember right now) for RNAV. Or again, so I'm told.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Took a ride up to KWWD, Cape May. I forgot my phone so I only got pictures from the ground. The place used to be NAS Wildwood, the primary training base for SB2C Helldiver pilots in WWII. There is a nice museum there with an F-14, F-5, and a few WWII aircraft...sadly it was closed due to COVID-19.

There was an old TBF Avenger that once served as a fire fighter. Not sure is it there for part or eventual conversion.
Also there is a corporation there that converts old Caribou aircraft to turboprops.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Now I’m curious! I wonder if there is something in your Ops Specs.

There is one antennae per GNS - guessing somewhere on the tail boom - WAAS to my knowledge does not use a separate antenna.
Also the 430w and 530w RAIM monitoring is automatic. I wonder if there is a requirement to display the annunciation on your PFD and that’s where the disconnect is meaning the aircraft SW can’t do it.

another Informational tidbit, with King and STEC 2 axis autopilots, on the GNS 430 &530 the Pilot has to manually activate vertical command inputs for RNAV approaches each time prior to putting the autopilot in APR mode. The GNS will flash a MSG annunciator reminding the Pilot to do this....

Last edited: